Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you choose a 'vertical seat' for a short-haul flight at a discount price?
Yes 4 16.67%
No 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Would you be willing to stand up in a plane flight for a lower price?

Ryanair hopes so. They're planning to trial standing-up seats for a lower price than proper ones.

Quote:
Ryanair plan for standing-room 'vertical seats'

Robyn Grace
July 2, 2010 - 11:50AM

Australians flying on discount airlines may one day substitute seating for savings, following plans by one European carrier to allow passengers to fly standing up.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary will announce a proposal today for "vertical seats", which will provide standing-room spots on short-haul flights for a cost of about £5 ($A8.90).

Asked today whether it would consider a similar proposal, Tiger Airways said selling cheap fares meant continually having to innovate and evolve to reduce the cost base.

"Tiger Airways doesn't rule anything out," the budget carrier's Australia commercial director, Steve Burns, said.

Mr Burns said while there were no immediate plans for vertical seating, "we continue to look at ways of making our operation more efficient so we can offer even lower fares than we do now".

"Everything we do is about offering the lowest possible fare then allowing our customers to choose what, if any, extras they wish to pay for," he said.

Mr O'Leary told ITV's How To Beat the Budget Airlines program Ryanair would convert the back 10 rows of seats into standing area.

"We are aiming at starting safety testing in about 12 months with a view to going into service with the new arrangements in about 18 months to two years' time," a spokesman told The Guardian.

"We think this would work well on our winter services so would hope to eventually introduce it for a winter timetable."

However, the newspaper reported that safety officials at the European Aviation Safety Agency said the plan was unlikely to pass the regulator's requirements.

Aircraft manufacturer Boeing has already rejected Ryanair's controversial plans once, but the airline says it has re-entered talks over its proposals.

Ryanair has dismissed claims it is only seeking publicity and is not serious about the proposals.

The airline said the same claims were made two years ago when it announced it would remove its check-in desks from airports. It removed the last of its check-in desks in October last year.

Ryanair has also repeatedly raised the possibility of charging passengers to use the toilets on flights lasting less than an hour.

Jetstar and Virgin Blue have been contacted for comment.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0702-zru8.html

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Would you be willing to stand up in a plane flight for a lower price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Ryanair hopes so. They're planning to trial standing-up seats for a lower price than proper ones.
Depends on how long it was. While to many people this may seem nuts, it happens in public transportation all the time. Buses, trains, subway-trains and trams all overfill and force people to stand up during busy periods. I'd say an hour at the max though. Not sure about anything more.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: Would you be willing to stand up in a plane flight for a lower price?

No, don't think so. Takeoff would be ok, flying in smooth air ok, but landings would be uncomfortable, unless those "seats" rotate so you're facing backwards. And turbulance could break an ankle if your weight's on your feet. If you're trying to "sit" in rough air, well we've all seen those videos of skateboarders taking a metal pole to the crotch...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Would you be willing to stand up in a plane flight for a lower price?

I'm sure there's going to be a seat belt to go along with it somehow... can't have the cattle running loose, you know

And yes, I'd take it on a short flight (aka less than an hour). I can sleep standing up, too....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well standing up on a train for an hour isn't fun, and I doubt standing in an airplane would be any more so. And worst of all they don't give you discounts on trains or buses if you have to stand!

I voted NO...I want to sit down

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Oh ideally, yes you'd wanna be sitting down. I don't mind the idea of having a cheaper option but it seems a bit...slumlord of the airlines especially since these haven't been available previously.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Never. ever. I'll drive where I'm going and then take a boat before I stand for a five hour (or longer) flight.

Perhaps they should look into some sort of cot arrangement, alla Fifth Element?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
SecretMaster
Apophis

Being packed like a sardine on an airplane for 4+ hours... PASS!
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion

It would have to be a hell of a discount, or sitting down would have to be ridiculously expensive. No thanks.
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaradu View Post
It would have to be a hell of a discount, or sitting down would have to be ridiculously expensive. No thanks.
Well they said it was around 5 pounds. Which, if I desperately needed to get on that plane and all the regular seats were full, i'd pay it no problem. I like the option - just once this doesn't become some kind of sub-standard for airlines to save space.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary will announce a proposal today for "vertical seats", which will provide standing-room spots on short-haul flights for a cost of about £5 ($A8.90)."