Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 11:07 PM   #51
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Back at work...still getting up to speed. Not really back to full throttle yet!

um...no...call me slow (I heard that!)...birds? a noun... used as a verb in German..hmmm.. LOL...I am supposing I need a here..hmmm? And of course that opens alot of possibilities. but uh...to be linquistically informed...not sure... Admittedly my Russian friends taught me some, er, 'colorful' expressions...but I never had any German friends do that.

CloudClueless

CB, speaking of what activity makes grown-ups all over the world act rather "speechless" and childish at the same time ?

Btw, send you a huge email, that is the reason I am still up at these hours. Only hope you will still talk to me after reading it ...

Good night !

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 04-04-2001, 11:16 PM   #52
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
CB, speaking of what activity makes grown-ups all over the world act rather "speechless" and childish at the same time ?

Btw, send you a huge email, that is the reason I am still up at these hours. Only hope you will still talk to me after reading it ...

Good night !

Replied, silly! Of course I'm still talking to you! Of course as long as my reply was it doesn't even touch the basics! LOL We can always muff around doing kinky things on the upgrade board over the weekend LOL...IM..now there's a place for learning colorful phrases off board...HAHAHHAHAAA...er maybe not!

Hmmm... so.. how the heck does one make a noun a verb in German? Generically speaking...we needn't discuss the anglo-saxon derrivative I think that refers to...LOL I know how I'd do it in Russian...add appropriate endings from one conjugation or another. Me, speechless? LOL...not hardly, Ramon..not hardly!

I really hope I can take some German this fall..I may ask Silke (the prof) to start in summer if she's willing or at least tell me what books to buy...sigh..
And I must get hold of an ASCII chart for those characters...at lunch I use a professor's office and computer and he has all our Cyrillic and KOI8 loaded so the German umlauts looked like odd cyrillic letters...

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 04-05-2001, 10:55 AM   #53
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
if you understood that last post of mine Cloudy then your German must be still quite good (or at least your passive knowledge of it). Did you, by the way, Oh Queen of the many Names, see that I have included a new nick in my post: Wolkchen? Meaning..... Cloudy?
BTW I do hope that you know the "other" meaning of vögeln......

Now I just KNOW that your German MUST be close to perfect !

But didn't you tell us that your opportunities to speak and practice German come mostly when you are visiting your German grandmother ? And on these occasions you manage to pick up expressions like the above ... ?

------------------
So long !

Old 04-05-2001, 11:51 AM   #54
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Ramon of course I know what I'm saying in German!

Na, auf jedem Fall, er spielt eine Art gothic rock, du kannst aber viel besser selbst mal hören wie es sich anhört.... guck doch mal auf www.daeonia.com und sagst du mir, was du findest? Sei bitte ehrlich

Wolkchen (Cloudy) : für die Akzenten und doppelte s kannst du einfach Alt + Numlock tasten benutzen: ß = Alt + 225, ä = Alt + 132, ö = Alt + 148 und ü = Alt + 129. Einfack, oder? Hoffe, du verstehst meine Auseinandersetzung, wennn nicht, sag's mir und ich werd' es übersetzen.

Liebes Melusinchen( ),

Ich habe gestern abend die - Samples auf deutsch ?, hmm, vielleicht Hörproben - also die Hörproben des neuen Albums "Crescendo" von Sebastians Band Daeonia runtergeladen und sie mir natürlich auch angehört. Ich mag Gothic Rock, wenn ich auch andere Stile im Rock vorziehe. Daeonias Musik hat mir sehr gut gefallen: die Qualität ist durchweg sehr hoch, sehr professionell - mindestens genauso wie bei viel berühmteren Bands, die man dauernd im Radio hören kann - der Leadsänger hat eine ausdrucksstarke Stimme - ist das Sebastian ? - und das Schlagzeug und die Gitarren sind sehr gekonnt eingesetzt, mal "fetzig", mal mehr zurückgenommen, melodischer. Es gibt auch ein, zwei Sachen, die mir nicht so gut gefallen haben, aber die hängen eher mit einem allgemeinen Problem, das ich mit dem Genre "Gothic Rock" habe, als mit der Musik von Daeonia zusammen: "Gothic" ist ja die Bezeihnung für eine gewisse Stimmung, angesiedelt von melancholisch bis bedrohlich. Für eine gewisse Zeit mag ich diese Stimmung sehr, aber für länger, zum Beispiel für ein ganzes Album, bevorzuge ich Musik, die abwechslungsreicher und vielfältiger ist - das mag ich z.B. an Yoricks Musik, das sie so vielseitig ist, auch wenn das nicht alles mein Lieblingsstil ist. Auch finde ich es besser, wenn die düstere Stimmung in einem Genre wie "Gothic" ab und zu durch ein wenig Selbstironie aufgelockert wird. Kennst Du die Band "Smackgod und ihren Song "Voodoo" ? Die schaffen es, daß ich abwechselnd schmutzeln muß und mir - angenehm - unheimlich wird. Aber ich bin auch einfach kein "hardcore" Gothic-Fan, vielleicht also der falsche Maßstab. Mein Lieblingssong von Daeonia ist übrigens "Bittersweet".

Macht das, was ich schreibe, für Dich Sinn ? Du wollest, daß ich ehrlich bin, nicht wahr ? Die Sängerin mit der engelsgleichen Stimme, von der leider nur ein kurzes Stückchen auf dem Ausschnitt des "Christmas"-Songs - sorry, ich bin sehr schlecht im Merken von Namen - zu hören ist, das bist nicht zufälligerweise Du ?

Und sonst ? Wie geht es Dir im Moment ? Ich hoffe, Deine Krankheit erlaubt es Dir, wenigstens etwas aktiv zu bleiben.

Wo in Deutschland lebt Deine Großmutter eigentlich ? Ich glaube, Du hast es schon 'mal erwähnt. Wuppertal ? Solingen ?

Bis bald, paß' auf Dich auf !

Übrigens, Du hast mich einmal gefragt, was ich von der Rechtschreibreform halte:
wenn Du Dir meine Texte daraufhin ansiehst, wirst Du feststellen, daß ich sie einfach ignoriere !

------------------
So long !

Old 04-06-2001, 10:43 AM   #55
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Replied, silly! Of course I'm still talking to you! Of course as long as my reply was it doesn't even touch the basics! LOL We can always muff around doing kinky things on the upgrade board over the weekend LOL...IM..now there's a place for learning colorful phrases off board...HAHAHHAHAAA...er maybe not!

Hmmm... so.. how the heck does one make a noun a verb in German? Generically speaking...we needn't discuss the anglo-saxon derrivative I think that refers to...LOL I know how I'd do it in Russian...add appropriate endings from one conjugation or another. Me, speechless? LOL...not hardly, Ramon..not hardly!

I really hope I can take some German this fall..I may ask Silke (the prof) to start in summer if she's willing or at least tell me what books to buy...sigh..
And I must get hold of an ASCII chart for those characters...at lunch I use a professor's office and computer and he has all our Cyrillic and KOI8 loaded so the German umlauts looked like odd cyrillic letters...

Cloudy

Cb, glad to see that your linguistic appetite is almost insatiable as mine own ! Unfortunately, no other language I know is as flexible when it comes to "remodeling" words as English, but sometimes you can do the trick in German by adding either "en" or "n" or "eln" to the ending or rather the root of the noun: like Vogel - vögeln, Haufen(pile) - aufhäufen or häufeln (to pile sth. up).

As you have noticed one additional problem with German is that when you change the ending of a word the vowels in the root tend to change as well (Wolke - Wölkchen ! , from a simple vowel to its "Umlaut"-Version, just as with conjugating a German verb. But I am unaware if a fixed rule exists for that. Unfortunately, like most native speakers without a special training I am not a very good teacher as I just "know" how to do things in German without knowing and having to know the specific grammar behind that.

Btw, is Silke, the German professor at SUNY at Albany - that is your university I suppose - German ? Her name sounds very much like it.

------------------
So long !

Old 04-06-2001, 10:47 AM   #56
Sir_Tainly

Guten Tag Alles,

Ich suche einen penguin Stehlen Dieb!

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-06-2001, 07:41 PM   #57
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Da ist der Pinguindieb, aber "Puff !", schon ist er wieder weg !

So ein Pech für den tapferen Pinguindiebjäger Sir Tainly !

------------------
So long !

Old 04-06-2001, 07:49 PM   #58
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Cb, glad to see that your linguistic appetite is almost insatiable as mine own ! Unfortunately, no other language I know is as flexible when it comes to "remodeling" words as English, but sometimes you can do the trick in German by adding either "en" or "n" or "eln" to the ending or rather the root of the noun: like Vogel - vögeln, Haufen(pile) - aufhäufen or häufeln (to pile sth. up).

As you have noticed one additional problem with German is that when you change the ending of a word the vowels in the root tend to change as well (Wolke - Wölkchen ! , from a simple vowel to its "Umlaut"-Version, just as with conjugating a German verb. But I am unaware if a fixed rule exists for that. Unfortunately, like most native speakers without a special training I am not a very good teacher as I just "know" how to do things in German without knowing and having to know the specific grammar behind that.

Btw, is Silke, the German professor at SUNY at Albany - that is your university I suppose - German ? Her name sounds very much like it.

Yes, that's the professor. She is German. Very nice, a linguist by training and I hear she's good with beginning language instruction, as well.

Sorry so short, am doing 6 things at once as usual...gotta see what my adventuring companions are up to in the thread I posted...send them some voice files for BG2 and they're busy discussing my voice like I'm not there...LOL
Gotta check on the cats. Send some email and go see what roomie wants. Not time to think languages tonight, sigh...

CB

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 04-06-2001, 07:58 PM   #59
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Da ist der Pinguindieb, aber "Puff !", schon ist er wieder weg !

So ein Pech für den tapferen Pinguindiebjäger Sir Tainly !

Wow the translation program translated this to English meaningfully, it was stilted but fully understandable. Might add this to my sig,

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-06-2001, 10:04 PM   #60
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

58 personnes pour une seule phrase naiseuse... j'arrive a peine a y croire. Parlant de parler en français il se peut que j'ai trouver une job dans un petit village près D'angouleme cet été.