Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 05-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Anyone read this trilogy? I've got a few pages to go on the last book and they've all been pretty good. I have to say though, the whole God being a bad guy kinda left me with a sour taste in my mouth, and I sure hope that when we die there are some better options than the book has. Now, I know it's just a fictional book and I'm not saying that it should be banned or anything, I hope I wouldn't feel that way about any book with our rights and freedoms in this country. I still thought it was a pretty good story, but I hope it doesn't influence anyone to ostracize the Church, I think they do a lot of good in the world. Now, with all this said, I want you all to know that I was a big fan of the Da Vinci Code and didn't think it was blasphemy or anything.
Back to the original question-Has anyone read His Dark Materials and what'd you think about it?

[ 05-12-2007, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Balintherlas ]
Old 05-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Target
Red Dragon

Yep, I read them when they first came out, a very enjoyable story I thought. I think there is a film not to far away.
I remember when the 3rd book was relished over here in the UK, it came out the same day as one of the Harry Potters and another written by a member of the church, some of the media billed it as a book for the church, one against (Pullman’s one) and JK's that was in the middle. Was interesting seeing how various reviews (because of their writers religious standing point) reviewed the books.
I thought it made a nice change to have ‘god’ (even if there is such a thing) as the bad / evil ones. It was a good twist.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Thats what I cant stand, the churches black balling books they don't agree with, free will is one of our greatest rights, at least thats what I think, but oh well. As to the movie, it's due out Dec 07. Daniel Craig is Asriel, Nicole Kidman is Mrs. Coulter, I've never heard of the girl who plays Lyra, Dakota Blue Richards, and you can probally guess who plays Lee Scorsbey, the Texan aeronaut. Oh and Eva Green is Serafina Peckala, which I think sucks. Serafina is supposed to be very pretty and attractive, and I know a lot of people say the same of Eva, but I'm not one of them. Although she is a very good actress, but I still would have rather seen someone else as Serafina, like Miss Knightly!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-11-2007, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Balintherlas ]
Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

AAaargh! I wanted to read those! I've been promised good plots and twists! USE SPOILER TAGS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Hahahaha well, not much was spoiled, they should still be very good books to read. Better hurry though, Golden Compass is due out in Dec.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Target
Red Dragon

Golden Compass?? Is he writing a 4th book??

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

No, not that I know of, its Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass, they comprise His Dark Materials Trilogy.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
Target
Red Dragon

OH right, American book titles are again different to the UK ones. Here the fist one is called "Northern Lights".

Old 05-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #9
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Did you know Kevin Bacon's in the film too? I just watched Tremors today and wanted to see what he's got planned for the future. Doesn't say what part he has to play in it yet.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I quite like the series. I just find the fact they can't be together sad

And I thought the first one is called Northern Lights? Or is taht just in the UK?

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote