Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default What's new?

So as the topic says, what's new with everyone?

As for me, in the long time since I've been an active poster, I got a job at a local dollar store, and I've managed to keep the position for 2 1/2 years. Currently, they're look at the possibility of making me an Assistant Manager.

Finally got my first officially road-worthy car, a red '04 Dodge Neon, which runs much better than it's age would suggest.

Shortly after getting the car I was hired on at a storage facility/truck rental depot. So I have two jobs now, though this one pays better and is much less stressful.

My sister got married.

I bought a laptop, finally, nothing major, just a general use machine.

and finally, I'm at the tail end of building a halfway decent gaming rig.

-Cooler Master Storm Trooper case Black, but with the windowed side panel
-AMD FX-8350 processor
-Corsair H60 liquid cooling unit
-MSI 970A-G46 motherboard
-Team Dark Series 16GBs RAM (2x8GB) DDR3 1600
-Ultra LSP Series V2 750watt PSU
-EVGA super-clocked Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 (still waiting on the delivery for this one)
-Windows 7 Home OS
-2 TB Seagate Barracuda
-PCIe USB 3.0 hub card so I can actually make use of the 3.0 ports on the front of my case. (Didn't think to make sure the motherboard actually had a 3.0 header before buying it)
-and an internal wifi adapter by TP-link

I put all the parts through pcpartpicker.com, and the only potential conflict was between the motherboard and CPU, but my friend is running an identical motherboard CPU setup with no issues.

That, more or less, brings me up to present, so what's new with you?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: What's new?

Gonna decommission one of my WinXP machines and undertake learning Linux. My goal is to get a Linux machine internet capable... AND as much a gaming machine as possible. I suspect that not much is out there gaming-wise, but I'll surf around and see what's there. GOG is planning on bringing classic (read old DOS type stuff and maybe some 95/98 titles) games to Linux in the fall. See this link...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/21091...ml#tk.nl_today .

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

I have been out of work for a while now, and looking at the current economical situation i don't see that changing anytime soon. So i spend most my days gaming, which is still my favorite pastime. WoW has gotten slightly out of hand, i now have 15 well geared lvl 90's, and half a dozen more on the way. Also gotten into Rift, graphically not as good as WoW, but entertaining nonetheless. Also been playing World of Tanks, which is quite a good game too, and prolly will check out World of Planes and World of Ships as well. Hearthstone is my latest adition of daily things to do, a WoW spinoff cardgame, good fun. Trying to save some money atm, coz i'm planning to go see at least one Holland match at the WC in Brazil this summer, but since i'm on kind of a tight budget at the moment, i'm not sure if that's financially responsible, so i'm keeping my options open for now. That's it in a nutshell, nothing much else going on in my life. I stil log on to IW every day and play some Tetris and Pacman and see if anything new was posted, and i still get drunk quite often, like god intended me to do.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
Gonna decommission one of my WinXP machines and undertake learning Linux. My goal is to get a Linux machine internet capable... AND as much a gaming machine as possible. I suspect that not much is out there gaming-wise, but I'll surf around and see what's there. GOG is planning on bringing classic (read old DOS type stuff and maybe some 95/98 titles) games to Linux in the fall. See this link...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/21091...ml#tk.nl_today .
Elfbane, you'll be pleased to know that gaming on Linux is better than it has ever been at the moment.

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/
http://www.playonlinux.com/en/supported_apps-1-0.html
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

Any modern linux distribution (I would suggest Linux Mint or Ubuntu if it's your first time) should just work out of the box for things like internet access. Be aware that you may need to install proprietary graphics drivers to get good gaming performance - Ubuntu and Mint both have utilities to help you do that.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Been busy running my business, things are starting to look up after a couple of difficult years economically here in the US.

Still playing WoW, I have 16 90s (so I have Johnny on that ) and about 10 80s in the twink bracket. Killed Garrosh and working on hardmodes on Ally side but just casually now since we are all busy. Been doing a lot of arena as well mainly on Hordeside. Been with the same guild for 5 years now, I am co-GM with two close friends.

Checked out the Elder Scrolls Online beta, I found it meh. I'm worried it will be another SWTOR. Been playing the Skyrim addons as well.

Tore my meniscus paddleboarding in Australia - given I surf it was embarrassing to do it while paddleboarding in flat water. Putting off surgery unless I really have to.

July 2015 will mark 10 years in the US.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

How are things on the US realms Mem? Some EU realms are downright dead, and as far as i'm concerned shouldnt even be allowed to carry on like this. A merge with some other dead realms could turn things around, or at least allow players free migrations to realms that are still very much alive and kicking. I am still in the same guild too, been inthere since WotLK, and recently our GM took a break. He may not even come back before the next expansion he told me, and he handed the GM stick to me. I also took over a horde guild as GM on that same realm, since the GM from that one had wife issues (she literally made him choose between her and WoW LOL), and a few months ago i started a whole new guild on Magtheridon (EU) since that is one of the highest populated realms still.

Last edited by johnny; 03-24-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The two realms I am on (Sargeras for Ally and Arthas for Horde) are super busy. Like hundreds of people in Org, Stormwind and both shrines. I was on Senjin that was dead, but I moved my Horde to Arthas and Ally to Sargeras and it's been very busy, 24 hours a day there are people pugging. In fact I originally switched my Horde rogue to Tichondrius but I moved it again because it has a login queue on weekends and I couldn't be arsed dealing with that.

Basically the dead realms are getting deader and the busy ones are getting busier as I'm sure you are experiencing.

So are you doing arena? Raiding? RBGs? What's your focus?

Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

It's kinda hard to focus on just one thing if you have so many characters. I raid on a few, flex and normal, but i'm forced to pug most of the time, because at the start of MoP, our entire progressionteam ragequit the guild after a dispute with the GM, and started their own guild, which has cleared SoO and are now progressing on HC mode. Kinda hard to swallow, because that should have been us, if you know what i mean. The only char i do arena on is my hunter, my first ever character, but i basically just play for the cap, not for rating, i came close to 1600 last season though. I also used to run rated battlegrounds with a group from another guild, and was up to the rank of Master Sergeant, when they decided to take guildies only in the future, so unless i joined them i couldnt run with them anymore, but i am too long with my current guild to leave them for just RBG's, so that ended. I tried finding pug's with the OQ addon, but that wasnt a big succes. Other than that i just try do some dailies on all my 90's, and stuff like Ordos and the Celestial bosses, and when i'm absolutely bored with all 90's, i just log one of my lower chars and start leveling again. There's always something to do for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quit my job and started working on my own. Mainly video games development.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
It's kinda hard to focus on just one thing if you have so many characters. I raid on a few, flex and normal, but i'm forced to pug most of the time, because at the start of MoP, our entire progressionteam ragequit the guild after a dispute with the GM, and started their own guild, which has cleared SoO and are now progressing on HC mode. Kinda hard to swallow, because that should have been us, if you know what i mean. The only char i do arena on is my hunter, my first ever character, but i basically just play for the cap, not for rating, i came close to 1600 last season though. I also used to run rated battlegrounds with a group from another guild, and was up to the rank of Master Sergeant, when they decided to take guildies only in the future, so unless i joined them i couldnt run with them anymore, but i am too long with my current guild to leave them for just RBG's, so that ended. I tried finding pug's with the OQ addon, but that wasnt a big succes. Other than that i just try do some dailies on all my 90's, and stuff like Ordos and the Celestial bosses, and when i'm absolutely bored with all 90's, i just log one of my lower chars and start leveling again. There's always something to do for me.
Have you checked out Elder Scrolls Online at all? I've succumbed and while it lacks WoW's polish and quality of life, I'm enjoying it. The endgame is going to be nonexistent I think and the PvP is zergfest but it's heaps of fun - like AV times 100.