Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Exclamation Fresh start

Just restarted the previously unfinished BG1 for the 3rd time. Funny how each time something comes up to prevent completion.

I've finished BG2 earlier with Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Keldorn and Anomen apart from my PC. So am trying to keep as many characters from that as possible so that when i do finish it (fingers crossed) i can import the charater to BG2 as well and retain continuity.

So far I've got Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen and Ajantis. Am planning to recruit Minsc as well. Now I understand that Minsc won't join without Dynaheir. Is that true? Last time I just put off rescuing her for a while.

How do I remedy this?

Thanks.
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Default Re: Fresh start

Minsc & Dynaheir are paired NPCs: When you recruit or boot one of them, the other will follow if possible. And yes, Minsc does demand that you rescue Dynaheir "soon" (within a week or so after he first joins): After a few days, he'll remind you, and a few days after that, he'll attack you if you still haven't found her.

Paired NPCs can be broken by sending the unwanted NPC into a building that you'll never need to enter again, and then booting them from the party, or by recruiting them & letting them die.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

If you're feeling evil, you can order their partner to do the killing with a forced attack command. that is select your attacker, click the little sword icon and click on the target. Based on your party set-up though, you'll probably want to use a different method.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

There are also mods that allow NPC pairs to be separated.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Well seems like while I can keep Minsc, would it be terrible if I didn't? It'd be the first time but given my party of Khalid, Jaheira, Ajantis, Imoen and myself (F/M), would it make more sense for a ranger like Kivan or a cleric like Branwen to join?

I count on Khalid, Ajantis and oft times Jaheira and myself as tanks; Jaheira and myself for spell casting.

Don't want anymore mages as it would mean sharing of spell scrolls. Even so Viconia and Edwin would upset the good party balance.
Either learn or leave
Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

You're a little low on cleric power. I would go with Branwen. That way you get the skeletal summons and more healing. Plus she fights OK.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

@ Elfbane: Won't that leave me severely unbalanced in favour of priest spells? Or is that a non-issue?
Either learn or leave
Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Well, sorry, I kinda got the impression that your PC wanted to hog the Arcane casting. And there are no really effective 'cleric/mage' multiclass available in BG1 unless the PC is one...and even then it takes the whole game to become truly effective.

SO... I figured you were punting Arcane casting, and wanted more spellpower. In that case there's only one way to go,,,more druids or more priests.

Druid and Priest high level spells can be VERY effective... but not until BG2.

SO,,,I gave you my best advice, considering that you wanted to punt Arcane casting for anyone but you. In that case.......HIRE BRANWEN!!!!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Falling on Floor Laughing Re: Fresh start

Right. I do want to hog the mage spells as that is the character I want imported to BG2.

Will take your advice and get Branwen but will do the Dynaheir quest with Minsc first.

Am currently in Beregost. Man do I hate going from house to house checking for goodies!

Thanks a ton!
Either learn or leave
Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
. . . In that case there's only one way to go, more druids or more priests. . . Druid and Priest high level spells can be VERY effective... but not until BG2.
Actually, Druids are Priests. Clerics and Druids together make up the Priest "superclass," which technically includes Monks as well. And yes, in BG1, Priests really aren't good for much more than a few Healing spells every day.