Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #31
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Great stuff Yorick!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Makes me want to publish my songs as well [img]smile.gif[/img] How did you record them?
Thanks Link. You should get your songs out there. Just do it man.

I recorded and mixed my stuff on Cubase VST/32.

All the vocals and guitars were caught by a Rode NT2 mic into an Art tube preamp, going into a tascam US428 interface for the macG4. I worked loops on ACIDpro and imported them. Later I used Soundtrack on the mac and would import them into the VST session. Programmed drums/bass/keys were done on Reason. The organ is a B4 pugin. Live bass guitar was plugged direct into the Art preamp/tascam. (No amp). I have atmosphere, a sound design program, but used that more in the electronica stuff I'll put up later.

Live drums (on four songs) I recorded in Atlanta on the back end of a session for another album I was producing. Sure 57 on the snare, a few basic mics placed in appropriate spots.

The acoustic guitars were a Maton (an Aussie gtr) and a Taylor. The electrics were mostly a terada (looks like a gibson f-hole) into a couple of amps. An old Jackson made it one one song.

So those are the tech specs. In short I did it myself. I've been engineering and producing for about 12 years. My early self recorded stuff is really bad quality, but I stuck at it and have gotten good enough to make a living, and record everything myself as you can hear. Was born out of necessity. No money, had to record to satisfy artistic desire, so started doing it.

So that's what I'd do if I were you man. Don't worry if it;s not perfect, just get some sort of system and start experimenting.

Or get some friends, rehearse like crazy, hire a studio and engineer for a day, and capture whatever happens. I used to work for a couple of studios in Sydney, that would have bands come in, hire 5 hours and walk out with a mixed copy of 5 songs. Wouldn't cost a lot.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-13-2004, 12:17 PM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I would mix songs for anyone here if you needed. If you send me CDs of the seperate tracks all starting from 0. (Meaning I just import them all and they all start at the same place, even if a track only comes in near the end) I can adjust all the levels, add relevent compressions, verbs, and whathaveyou.

I've got some decent waves plugins, that meant I was able to multiband compress, and maximise the whole mix, so I could master it. It was really empowering. First album I've mastered myself.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:22 PM   #33
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
any chance you will be selling it in HMV or something here in australia?
Oh man... if only. I haven't tried any of that yet. I printed up 1000 copies. I'll use some of them to send to distributors, but in the meantime, I'll just do it independently. I had a guy talking to Walmart last week on behalf of a few of us who have albums out. If you seriously want one, I can do the olde mail.

Good to see you again btw. You knew Leonis was in the Philipines last month yeah?
[/QUOTE]yeah, he posted it here actually. he enjoyed it alot . Good for him to enjoy himself in Philippines .

Anyways, if ever your coming back to australia for a visit or something then just bring your album along. Saves me and you the hassle for mail . I can wait for it. I havent seen the your links yet. im trying to fix my media player. WHen are you coming back here anyway?

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #34
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:
quote:
Oh man... if only. I haven't tried any of that yet. I printed up 1000 copies. I'll use some of them to send to distributors, but in the meantime, I'll just do it independently. I had a guy talking to Walmart last week on behalf of a few of us who have albums out. If you seriously want one, I can do the olde mail.

Good to see you again btw. You knew Leonis was in the Philipines last month yeah?
[/QUOTE]yeah, he posted it here actually. he enjoyed it alot . Good for him to enjoy himself in Philippines .

Anyways, if ever your coming back to australia for a visit or something then just bring your album along. Saves me and you the hassle for mail . I can wait for it. I havent seen the your links yet. im trying to fix my media player. WHen are you coming back here anyway?
[/QUOTE]Aiming for Christmasish

Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #35
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well it has been sleeping. I am to continue my drumming anytime soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for now, I am starting up a joke band... hahaha nothing serious, I am the vocalist and I will try to push my luck. If I get positive feedback then I will take it into consideration. I still consider myself being a drummer though... and that would be my real band in the future... as for now, it's all acoustic sets and vocals... no gigs or jammings yet... I am excited
Old 08-13-2004, 12:26 PM   #36
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Well it has been sleeping. I am to continue my drumming anytime soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for now, I am starting up a joke band... hahaha nothing serious, I am the vocalist and I will try to push my luck. If I get positive feedback then I will take it into consideration. I still consider myself being a drummer though... and that would be my real band in the future... as for now, it's all acoustic sets and vocals... no gigs or jammings yet... I am excited
That's awesome mate!

Old 08-13-2004, 12:29 PM   #37
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]i will be planning to head back home myself on x-mas but lets just see how it goes in case we may meet up. . its good to hear from ya again.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-13-2004, 12:31 PM   #38
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Ack! With school though being a biatch, hmm... but then yes it sounds awesome... I plan on NOT focusing on one genre... so I will have your music, some hip-hop, some whatever (Two out of I think five in the band only have musical experience, and I am one of them already) [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I still have to find my unique voice... I don't want to sound like Alex Band from The Calling or something...
Old 08-14-2004, 09:31 AM   #39
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]i will be planning to head back home myself on x-mas but lets just see how it goes in case we may meet up. . its good to hear from ya again.
[/QUOTE]Which part of Sydney are you in these days?

Old 08-14-2004, 12:14 PM   #40
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

same place.. in eastern suberbs for the past year. its great really. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..