Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #61
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebroDragon View Post
I know that I'm definitely in the minority - but I don't particularly want to see a BG3 even attempted. I think the Bhaalspawn story was concluded perfectly well at the end of Throne of Bhaal and to be honest I'd much rather just see another Infinity Engine based AD&D title in an under-used setting.
I completely agree and I feel strongly about this as well. Necromancing the Bhaalspawn saga (whether sequel or prequel) is the worst idea possible. And if BG3 won't have anything to do with the saga, then why call it BG? Start a new game and a new franchise...

Icewind Dale on the other hand could use IWD3. To make a nice conclusion of TotL and IWD2 storylines and tie up all the loose ends....
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #62
Shadow Stranger

Someone was doing BG2 with the Dragon Age engine, was it at Bioware Social forums? Yes:
Baldur's Gate 2 ReDux - Dragon Age: Origins

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 03-18-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #63
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah I saw that one. It's a nice tribute, but I hate the cutscenes/dialogue screens in DA with the zooming in on pixelated faces. I was more so talking about remaking it from the ground up with a modernized engine such as the DA:O one. But a dedicated game rather than just a mod for DA.

It does look pretty nice in the video and serves to give a glimpse of the possibilities, especially during combat where you can tilt the camera from overhead view. The likeness of the characters is done very well. These game conversion mods never get completed for one reason or another whether they are made in NWN's 1, 2 or Dragon Age. If anything, it will serve as a useful inspiration for future games.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #64
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, I loved Icewind Dale.. I created the Drizzt, Cat, Battlehammer, Regis, Wolfie and
me... Was so fun.. I even had the portraits scanned in for each character.

Reminded me of "The Crystal Shard" novel.. and the sound sets were perfect for a few of my characters.. (Battlehammer and Cat)

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #65
Shadow Stranger

"These game conversion mods never get completed for one reason or another whether they are made in NWN's 1, 2 or Dragon Age."
One problem with the Icewind Gate 2 mod, (Icewind Dale 2, Third Edition, conversion of BG 2) that I found was: a lot of the BG2 functions simply did not occur in the Icewind Dale 2 game. In a lot of areas you needed to use workarounds. Beta version was not so great but Nameless One's Delta version was playable.
Generally conversions need to be done by a program, I don't know if the conversions you mentioned did this or not. Doing it manually is just way too slow, enthusiasm will wear out quicker.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #66
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I would also love to see an enhanced Planescape Torment. I never did get around to playing it but people swear by the storyline - saying it's one of the best games ever. Anytime I try to go back and play it, the old engine and low resolution just frustrate me. Are there any HD mods for it or something?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #67
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I would also love to see an enhanced Planescape Torment. I never did get around to playing it but people swear by the storyline - saying it's one of the best games ever. Anytime I try to go back and play it, the old engine and low resolution just frustrate me. Are there any HD mods for it or something?
Widescreen mod:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

And after you download it, there is an improvement (mainly changes UI from top left to center):

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...-1-2012.26591/
Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #68
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFR View Post
Widescreen mod:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

And after you download it, there is an improvement (mainly changes UI from top left to center):

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...-1-2012.26591/
Yeah got that one thanks. Pity there's no HD textures or sommat.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #69
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Some more details:

Quote:
Our plan is to raise the level cap a bit in [Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition] to allow for the new content,” developer Beamdog’s Trent Oster. “We won’t be changing the game to more than six characters, the entire game would have to be re-balanced. [Baldur's Gate]‘s fun is partly the compromises."
Quote:
The enhanced edition will feature a few new characters, too. The search for voice actors is already underway, and Oster even teases the possibility that Jim Cummings could return to reprise his role as Minsc.

The Enhanced Edition will retain Baldur’s Gate’s default difficulty levels, but we should expect a more vigorous challenge from bonus quest enemies. “For our new content they are nasty” Oster tweets. He also mentions that “Mod support will be improved,” and suggests that the excellent widescreen mod has had an influence on development.

In addition, “#bgee will have all the classes and races added by BG2 and Throne of Bhall. We’re planning at least one completely new kit.” The six-character party cap will remain, to save the team having to rebalance the entire game'

In terms of future projects, Oster indicates that an update to Icewind Dale is more likely than a move to Baldur’s Gate 3, which would require a whole new engine.
Quote:
Overhaul’s Cameron Tofer told Gamespy that “Baldur’s Gate 3 has been our long term goal.”

The Beamdog and Overhaul devs handling the BG Enhanced editions have been watching Brian Fargo’s campaign to fund Wasteland 2 with keen interest. “We’re totally thinking Kickstarter,” said Tofer. “It just makes so much sense and solves so many problems.”
Other tidbits from Oster's twitter feed:

Quote:
We won't change the CLUAConsole. Too useful for mod work.

Release is still panned for summer, UI work is stretching our date a bit ....

UI work is the just the volume of screens that need to be changed.

We haven't fixed the pathfinding yet. It's in the schedule for some loving.
Likely platform support: PC, MAC and IPad; Current agreement does not have Linux in it (that may change) Nintendo and XBox will NOT be supported

The original plan was for BGEE to be a pure digital distribution; fan support has them rethinking that idea.

According to Trent, there are now 8 former Bioware people working on BGEE.

Oster interview at Neogamr:

http://www.neogamr.net/news/beamdogs...hanced-edition

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 04-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #70
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

iPad edition omg.