Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #31
Lady Sedai
Banned User

I think some of the 'neglect', Link, comes from the fact that SOMEone kept feeding her for those years, yet they did not seek medical help for her.

When they realized she couldn't or wouldn't look after herself anymore, whoever was feeding her every day should have, instead, contacted professionals to come get her and help her.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #32
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sedai:
I think some of the 'neglect', Link, comes from the fact that SOMEone kept feeding her for those years, yet they did not seek medical help for her.

When they realized she couldn't or wouldn't look after herself anymore, whoever was feeding her every day should have, instead, contacted professionals to come get her and help her.
Exactly!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #33
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I agree with Lady Sedai, my same sentiments.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-15-2004, 10:24 PM   #34
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Sorry, she was/is an adult, responsible for her actions, not some poor wayfarer caught up in her actions. If she were declared incompetent, that would be another story, but they almost never are.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:32 AM   #35
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

one thing no one noted about depression and antidepressants....most of those drugs cause weight gain. so it is hard for a person on or off antidepressants to lose weight.

i think this is a very sad situation, and i hope someone somewhere learns from it.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:22 AM   #36
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

That's true, Rev, but I never yet have seen a case of morbid obesity that wasn't already present when treatment was started. This woman was obviously not getting regular medical care of any kind.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #37
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sedai:

BANG! She got it.

Rev also got it. There was neglect. It is not an emotion really it is more of people around her not acting appropriately.
--------------------------------

ne·glect [nə glékt]
vt (past ne·glect·ed, past participle ne·glect·ed, present participle ne·glect·ing, 3rd person present singular ne·glects)

1. not care for something properly: to fail to give the proper or required care and attention to somebody or something
2. fail to do something: to fail to do something, especially because of carelessness or forgetfulness
I neglected to tell you that I won’t be here next week.

n
1. withholding of proper care: the failure to give proper care or attention to somebody or something
parents charged with criminal neglect

2. lack of care: lack of proper care or attention
Soon the business began to suffer from neglect.
--------------------------------

The mere fact humans are different is because we can help others in a very altruistic way. We can decide for the other person also if needed. Animals, simply won't give a damn. What they did, yeah I pretty much agree about the Darwinism right there...

EDIT: I am referring to the people around her just to clarify a few things. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-16-2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Bahamut ]
Old 08-16-2004, 01:15 PM   #38
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

for those who said that this is not neglect.....if it was your mother/sister/grandmother or other loved one, would you stand by and let them lie in their on mess? you would feed them every day and watch them lying on a couch for years? or would you do something about it? if it was my loved one, I know I would have already had her in the hospital. my question is still, how could someone feed her every meal, and not know something was dreadfully wrong? if the smell was that bad, surely someone would have noticed it? so how is it not neglect?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #39
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
BANG! She got it.

Rev also got it. There was neglect. It is not an emotion really it is more of people around her not acting appropriately.
EDIT: I am referring to the people around her just to clarify a few things. [img]smile.gif[/img]
True, but, then, we know nothing of the mental capacity of those around her. If they were competent mentally, then there was neglect, if only failure to report her condition to Adult Protective Services.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #40
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
1. not care for something properly: to fail to give the proper or required care and attention to somebody or something
Exactly my point: to fail to give the PROPER care? When is something proper? When did we get it in our stupid minds to be so generous?

I don't disapprove of us being this way, but it really is an emotion which has grown to be a habit!

---
Let me give you an example. When I was with my aunt in Rome she went to feed to stray cats near her appartment as usual (a habit of hers) and came back with a young kitten who had apparently been left behind. She took care of it while I was there, but one night the kitten just died. She was warm, well fed, for the eye she seemed ok. But apparently she was not, and mama cat had realised just that and left her to die.
I'm not gonna elaborate about it all, I hope you see my point this way.