Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 03:49 PM   #41
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
for those who said that this is not neglect.....if it was your mother/sister/grandmother or other loved one, would you stand by and let them lie in their on mess? you would feed them every day and watch them lying on a couch for years? or would you do something about it? if it was my loved one, I know I would have already had her in the hospital. my question is still, how could someone feed her every meal, and not know something was dreadfully wrong? if the smell was that bad, surely someone would have noticed it? so how is it not neglect?
You do not know that! You presume that it was neglect, you never stop and think about what made the woman that fat. You don't think about maybe it was her own fault for becoming the way she was.

Don't shoot the messenger, stormy, I'm just showing your the rear side of the medal.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #42
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

all I am pointing out is that someone was taking care of her, and they let her go, not making sure she had a proper diet, or medical treatment, that part is obvious if they made sure she ate, why could they not make sure she was taken care of? would you do that to your mother? that is all I am asking.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:29 PM   #43
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Whoever fed this bloated monstrosity was either stupid or didn't care about her. That does not change the fact that people are legally and morally responsible for their own actions. If somebody was bringing her food, she didn't have to eat it.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:10 AM   #44
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

"bloated monstrosity"? Jees Meg, I suppose your right, but is that necesary?

Has anyone thought of her mental compacity? Maybe she was retarted, mentally, physically, or both. All that has been said here about this woman is speculation. We have no idea if she was even being takin care of by a responsable person.
Maybe it was young kids being told what to do by this lady, their mom. I just dont understand why people become experts all the sudden on depression, obesity, etc.. The few here that have gone through or is going through depression or obesity or both can give insight, bhut there is to much about this story we dont know to speculate anything.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 AM   #45
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
BANG! She got it.

Rev also got it. There was neglect. It is not an emotion really it is more of people around her not acting appropriately.
EDIT: I am referring to the people around her just to clarify a few things. [img]smile.gif[/img]
True, but, then, we know nothing of the mental capacity of those around her. If they were competent mentally, then there was neglect, if only failure to report her condition to Adult Protective Services. [/QUOTE]You do have a good point there Attalus. So then that would be just tragic. The least I could say on that part is it's all over... she's probably in a nicer place now.

Link: I get your "realistic" point, but why the pessimism? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dirty Meg: still without any exercise, we all know that she will still get fat even if she didn't eat that much.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:24 AM   #46
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Mental Illness is something you can't fix. There is nothing wrong with the individual they just have a chemical imballance. There are mild forms and sevear forms and everything in between. Mild depression can be helped without meds but people useually respond very positive to meds even mild cases. It helps them get to a point they can motivate themselves to take care with diet and exorcise. The problems are people start to feel better and go off the meds and can't see the warning signs until they get so bad people think their "crazy".
Also the stigma of mental illness keeps sooooo many people from seeking help. It is so sad people don't think of mental illness as a life long disease with terminal effects just like Cancer. The United states is very judgemental when it comes to mental illness. Insurance companies won't cover the propper treatment, they only give short term coverage.
Are there people who are on meds that shouldn't be? You bet. But there are so many more who aren't on them.

It's hard to describe what people feel when they suffer from the effects of mental illness. So many people think you just need to "pull yourself up by your boot straps" or just work harder. People can't understand what it is like to think putting a glass away is a monumental task so overwelming I just can't do it.

There is a great program put on by N.A.M.I. National Alliance for the Mentally Ill called "Family to Family" for people who have family or friends who suffer from mental illness. It is the most incredible class you can take to educate yourself about mental Illness.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:17 AM   #47
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
I just dont understand why people become experts all the sudden on depression, obesity, etc.. The few here that have gone through or is going through depression or obesity or both can give insight, but there is to much about this story we dont know to speculate anything.
Actually, I am a licensed physician, and I treat depression and obesity every day. I have actually treated people this large, before, and none were mentally retarded. I quite agree that much of this is speculation, but not therefore bad.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #48
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:

Has anyone thought of her mental compacity? Maybe she was retarted, mentally, physically, or both. All that has been said here about this woman is speculation. We have no idea if she was even being takin care of by a responsable person.
That's right. So the people excusing the woman by saying she might have been mentally ill are speculating just as much.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:43 PM   #49
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Attalus, you would qualify as an expert then, and, would know the irrelevence of all the opinions givin here. Please dont get me wrong, I am all for having a conversation about an issue like this, but it frustrates me when people spout off blaim and prejudice when they dont even know the whole story. Her weight killed her granted, but who knows how she got that big or why, or by whos admission for that matter.
I am speculating as well Mel, sure, but I am not automaticaly blaiming her as to why she died. Some others here are.

That is the only point I am making. Having an opinion is fine, but know the story before you state it so harshly.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 PM   #50
Link
Jack Burton

Well, LordK, that was exactly the point I was making. Everyone started talking about neglect, when they do not know the entire story, and all of the sudden I'm the pessimist..