Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow

I just bought my wife this product for V-day because she is in love with the idea of building her own home and it appears that this is the right thing to have. From what I have learned, this is the next best thing to the $2000 version and I paid $400 for it ($100 cheaper from Amazon than from local retailers).

Is anybody into home design and architecture that would like to talk and maybe share advise with us sometime?

[ 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Oh no, homeowner plans!!!!!!!! *Lord of Alcohol flees*. Joking hehe, actually the worst plans I ever saw were from an architect. Just dont try to be your own contractor! I could show you a house under construction right now where the homeowner has cost himself....well I dont know how many thousands of dollars.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Oh no, homeowner plans!!!!!!!! *Lord of Alcohol flees*. Joking hehe, actually the worst plans I ever saw were from an architect. Just dont try to be your own contractor! I could show you a house under construction right now where the homeowner has cost himself....well I dont know how many thousands of dollars.
Heh...no, this program was mostly for us to design what we wanted in a home and then take these to an architect to sign off on as valid for NC building codes and all that. It is a program that will help us see a 3-D rendering of the home as what it supposed to look like with our plans before we even consult (and pay) a professional so that our minds are made up on what we want. I hear many people overspend once building begins because they see it going up and have different feelings once they see it. This way, we'll reduce that factor.

We would never asusme ourselves as contractors. When we're ready, maybe we'll even call you! How far are you willing to travel?

While we're on questions...why would I ever offer a job to a man who claims to be the lord over alcohol? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
While we're on questions...why would I ever offer a job to a man who claims to be the lord over alcohol? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
If he rules alcohol, not so bad. If alcohol rules him... run away [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

A bit too far too run a job Larry Close but not close eough. Get it to framing and maybe i can come over and put some extras in, trey ceiling, arches, etc [img]smile.gif[/img] You buy my gas and beer hehe
Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
A bit too far too run a job Larry Close but not close eough. Get it to framing and maybe i can come over and put some extras in, trey ceiling, arches, etc [img]smile.gif[/img] You buy my gas and beer hehe
I just thought it would be cool to brag on here that an Ironworker built my home.

I wonder if my wife will let me put in secret passages and stuff. It would be cool to have a secret door in the walk-in closet that leads to the garage, for example. Or a sneaky way from the bathroom to the pool.

Does anyone on IW actually have a secret passage built into their home?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well if you need any help I have built my own house from the ground up. I did framing and plumbing, wiring and all the finish work including flooring. You learn alot doing it your self. If you want pictures. I can send you some.

There is so much to think about when building a home. But if you get someone to do it. You are limited to what the will do with out hearing a word called extra's. And when you hear that open up your wallet.

But there is ways to cut costs in certain area's to get more extra's. [img]smile.gif[/img]

One more thing. Larry there is loads of free designs on the net. Find something that has the wants you are looking for. Then modify the small things. Like arches tray ceiling. Which are all in my house. Things you get over charge for that are very easy to do.

[ 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Mack_Attack ]
Old 02-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

That is good advice, and the program I bought has thousands of models to mess with from Better Homes and Gardens. I'll mention that to the wife when she decides to get to work on the plans.

And yes, I plan to get my hands dirty on the construction.