Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-24-2004, 06:41 PM   #11
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Shadow Heart is violent? where? I must be missing the violent part?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:56 PM   #12
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

For a non-violent masterpiece I'd recommend Myst IV. Great game! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] (although it has only been released on DVD. It would have taken 12+ cds to hold all of the data, it's THAT beautiful! [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

[ 11-24-2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 11-25-2004, 12:06 AM   #13
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

What about "Soldier Of Fortune II"? You shoot the the head or arms of the enemy and you can se the brain and everything get crushed sheeesh nasty and cool game it is anyway hehe ;D
Old 11-25-2004, 01:14 PM   #14
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
For a non-violent masterpiece I'd recommend Myst IV. Great game! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] (although it has only been released on DVD. It would have taken 12+ cds to hold all of the data, it's THAT beautiful! [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
While I haven't played the game, I can agree that the Myst series is a beacon in the dark when you're looking for non-violent games. All are equally beautiful and have a fantasy setting totally unlike the casual "elf-dwarf-human" style.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 11-25-2004, 01:26 PM   #15
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Okay... NFL is not violent? When I am playing the game it makes me want to beat the living hell out of someone. Adrenaline rush... and they recommend it because it is not violent outright. Bah.

I love GTA, my sadistic side always shows, and it becomes a comedy game.

I just want to say also that it isn't the media, the games or their friends that will influence them; they will be influencing themselves. Their core values, which is essentially learned at home will do all the talking when they're alone in this world. It will say if they are to succumb to peer pressure, or if they want to realize what they see or play. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-25-2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Bahamut ]
Old 11-26-2004, 07:00 AM   #16
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Er, I guess that if these people started to read the age label recommendations on the boxes a few things might be explained. Some of these games are for 18+ meaning that if they can't find a better babywatch then the tv or the computer they should at least care enough to make it a habit to see what their kids are up to.

For Halflife 2 to be one of the most violent games ever and SOOOOO many others not... They need to really start making an effort to learn about what they critisize. Postal is not IMHO really a game, it is an excuse of digital crap living a "Marilyn Manson" fan-life from the horror screams from the press. If nobody wrote about them except in gaming magazines nobody would pay to play them. Oups, almost started up another debate here

Doom 3 is violent but more "disturbing" due to the setting and the graphical intensity of the game. Obscure and all zombie shooters are not violent??

Grand theft auto is also not for minor I would assume, at least the small white box on the cover stating 18+... And it is YEARS people not months!

Instead of making such a ban-everything parade, why not try to make due with what is already in play and make that work before they scream ban ban.

Oh, and don't show any more news!
If anything is brutal and down right scary it is the real things happening all over the world! Take that to your agenda to get "peace and goodwill toward all".

BAH!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 11-26-2004, 07:35 AM   #17
Legolas
Jack Burton

I think the classification used for violence here is any game which rewards hurting imitations of other people.

There has indeed been research demonstrating that such elements increase levels of agression in players, though on the other hand, partially due to the fact that every researcher uses a different definition for both violence and agression, and in part due to the fact that there is often more to these games than violence alone, noone has ever been able to esablish a direct link between agression and violence in games. It is, on the other hand, safe to say there is some correlation.

Quote:
3. One factor contributing to violence is entertainment media products such as violent video games. Years of research have shown that viewing entertainment violence can lead to increases in aggressive attitudes, values and behavior, particularly in children. Research on violent interactive media indicates that it has a strong and more lasting effect on violent behavior.
This statement though is the result of unfounded extrapolation and likely serves no other purpose than to instill a sense of dread. For one thing, there have been no real publications on research regarding the long-term effects of 'violent interactive media' in children.
Perhaps ironically, it has been shown that the effects on behavior work both ways, good rolemodels promote good behavior in equal measure. It would likely make more sense to tell all these concerned parents to mind their own manners and habits around the children (tone of voice, language, smoking and the like) rather than to take away games or deny them. There is also the hypothesis that it is far better to let the children play the games, but for limited hours, rather than to forbid them touch it at all.

Finally, by some definitions of violence, cartoons like Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner and whatnot are brimming with it. Characters delighting in hurting others, and doing so in a comical way. Instead of starting at games which need to be bought and are therefore not readily accessible to children, why not get the TV stations to stop broadcasting this sort of thing?
Old 11-26-2004, 08:21 AM   #18
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

pokemon is pretty violent.. monsters killing other monsters, but i guess they were too poor to add in blood.

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
Old 11-26-2004, 10:03 AM   #19
Chris of the Dale
The Magister

How is prince of persia not violent? Last I remembered there was blood...
Old 11-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #20
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Depend's what the researchers goal's where..

"ok today we're going to prove the following games cause people to become more violent, we will measure this violence by measuring their bodly reactions to playing the game for a few hours, if X chemical is raised then they have become more violent"

Anyone setting out to Prove a point with an experiment can do such so easly, and in a way that look's almost like a fair experiment..

It's idea's like this that are looking for the cause of all the violence but failing to see it's not a problem with computer games, but rather the lack of resposoblity on the part of parents and carer's..

*Timmy's getting kicked out of school for fighting, he happen's to have a Console at home (look at the %'s of children that do) and among his collection is a "violent" video game. So that must be why he's acting out, nothing to do with the fact his parent's have gone though a messy divorce, screaming and yelling at each other, or he's been bullied by his peer's for a long time because of a slight speach impediment.. OH no it's got to be the violent video game..