Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-13-2004, 10:48 PM   #21
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

In my opinion, tip should be a bonus, they shouldn't be able to pay you less than minimum salary.

Actually, I never liked tip. They should give a regular salary instead.

I suppose it's supposed to in an incencive (spelling?) to make the worker do their best, but I see it more as abuse...
Old 09-13-2004, 11:04 PM   #22
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

it is the legal way they can do cheap labor and who works as a waitress? not someone who can earn more money, it is someone who is desperate for a job just to help out with the bills. after my husband left his job on the police force, I had to leave my job at the resturant to make more moeny, if your partner makes enough to pay the bills with, then waitressing is an ok job for the little things yo uneed to buy each day, like smokes/breads/diapers/ things like that.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:06 PM   #23
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
it is, because where I worked we also had to wash the dishes too and if someone is not happy with the food, it is taken out on the poor girl serving them I can understand being upsaet about bad service, but let me explain it this way. how much motivation can someone have who is not getting paid as much as the cook, and does twice the amount of work they do? or gets spat on because the food sucked? or drops a dish and it is docked from their pay? or even yet, they have to stand on their feet the whole shift with no assigned break because there is not enough people to cover the floor?
yes, I know how much work a cook does, I worked as a cook for the same company for 4 years and because I could wait tables, they would alternate on what I did each day making it less money to pay for food, and stuff, also we had to pay for half our food out of our checks weather we ate or not!
In Europe, waitresses get a decent standard salary as well as tips, in the US they get far below minimum wage and are expected to make up for the rest with tips. So you and Jorath are both right, just not seeing the whole picture. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2004, 11:06 PM   #24
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

When I worked in a privately owned donut and coffee shop before I went off to the university, we not only got below minimum wage (which is legal for waiters/waitresses because they are supposedly able to make up the difference in tips!) but our boss was so bad he forbid us to take tips! Actually told us to put tip money in the register and fired anyone who didn't!

Needless to say I didn't go back to work there summers after I went off to school.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #25
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
In Europe, waitresses get a decent standard salary as well as tips, in the US they get far below minimum wage and are expected to make up for the rest with tips. So you and Jorath are both right, just not seeing the whole picture. [img]smile.gif[/img]
is that not what I have been saying all along? if not maybe I was not saying it right, but that is what I meant [img]tongue.gif[/img] you have to work to make the customers respect you enough to leave you a tip, just to make minimum wage
Old 09-13-2004, 11:35 PM   #26
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

You said flat out that waitresses get below minimum wage. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'm just pointing out one of the zillion differences I see all the time between Americans and Europeans - often they'll both preach certain things which are only correct from their own standpoint without knowing how things are in other places.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #27
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

oh sheesh, so now you are going to bring another country into it? he was asking about the US [img]tongue.gif[/img]

opps guess he wasn't [img]tongue.gif[/img] oh well it is time for bed then if I am seeing more than five words that are not there

[ 09-13-2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 09-14-2004, 12:12 AM   #28
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well well well . I was wondering if this would develope into a little debate about gratuity ethics.
It is to be expected. There is a wide spectrum of opinions on wether you should or should not tip.
As a server, dealing with catering to people eating a meal, and all the variables attached to the "dining out" experience, 15% is a fare tip, if you had a fare experience. If you had better, then you should thank the server monetarily with a larger tip. If it was bad enough not to tip at all, you should let the manager know, so they can coach or relieve the server. And, you never know, you may get a discount or even a total comped ticket.

Either way, the thing to remember, is that regardless of what the server made in gratuities that shift, they are taxed on 8% of their sales regardless. (This is Washington St. law. I assume it is similar in other states.)
Speaking of Washington St. law, servers make the same minimum wage as everyone else. There is no "break" for employers in this state! [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

On the other hand, when I was a cab driver, I made really good tips, and it always puzzled me as to why. All I was doing was driving. Not all the enduring things a server does. Not that I ever complained though!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #29
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave_the_quack:
Ozzies bloody well never tip... Its just not a done thing here.

You do your job, you get paid for it... thats the way I look at it. But im sure that I will get berated for having that view with so many Us people here.

BRING IT ON, BABY.
as i remember the minimum salary is high enough that they wont complain as much with the tiping part. and i remember that the tips is already included in the bill.

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #30
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
no jorath, a waitress makes minimum to below minimum wage, and it is made up with the "tips" she recives, when I was a waitress the most I made in earned wages was $2.13 an hour, and I was supposed to make that up by reciving tips from customers who very seldom paid more than $0.10 on the dollar. and somtimes even less than that
That should be illegal, doesn't the states have minimum wage laws. Minimum wage should be close to $6 or higher depending on the area you live. Most waitresses I know do quite well and make about $6/hr starting, time and a half for any overtime plus they make a killing on there non taxable tips (at least $5 per table served and if they only served 10 tables per day that would amount to another $250/week or more tax free). Paying you $2/hr your boss must be making a killing. Resort areas like Banff do even better when it comes to tips and they usally go above minimum wage when paying employees as they have more money to dish out.

[ 09-14-2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]