Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 11-30-2001, 04:25 AM   #1
Natas Do' Ushwai

Hello,

It will become apparent as you read this, I am new. I want to have even more fun with BG so please don't disregard this posting because of my ignorance, I want to share in the greater pleasure that can be derived from these games. I want to play with others what is the best way for some one new. (I recently finished BG, and loved it!! i was a total addict, marathon sessions, total obbsession!!) I have just started BG2 and more of the same. I want to play with others what is the best advice.
more questions!?
I am playing an assasin at the moment, the backstab doesn't seem to be working. I hide in shadows sucessfully; move my character close to an opponent; press pause; then select my shortsword; then select my opponent with the attack cursor; then unpause. it says leaving shadows; i go to opponent automatically still in shadow mode; (the six seconds or so of grace shadow period you get) attack the creature succesfully; but get no backstab multiplier? what am i doing wrong

if i went back to baldurs gate 1 and made a theif/fighter/mage when i brought them to BG2 would i be able to make them a assasin/kensai/sorcerer? Basically what i am asking is if you have dual or multi class character do you get access to the relevant kits when you bring them to bg2 ?

thanks for any help

Natas
Old 11-30-2001, 04:31 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I cant REALy help u here exect to say go to the roleplaying forum and try to join a clan..... They seem to be mainly for Multiplayer games...
And Im about to be first!! (i hope)
but anyway-
WELCOME TO IRONWORKS [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
[img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 09:53 AM   #3
perk31
Manshoon

Definitely join a clan if you are looking for a multiplayer game. I haven't figured out how to make a backstab yet either so hopefully someone will tell us, and my understanding is that a multiclassed character must be generic so if you are looking for a kensai/illusionist you will have to be a human and dual class them.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:30 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by perk31:
Definitely join a clan if you are looking for a multiplayer game. I haven't figured out how to make a backstab yet either so hopefully someone will tell us, and my understanding is that a multiclassed character must be generic so if you are looking for a kensai/illusionist you will have to be a human and dual class them.

Mommy! Mommy! I wanna backstab!

Step 1) Go invisible, you can either use the Thief's abilities, Hide in Shadows and Move Silently( the game takes the average of the two), or use Invisibility Potions, or get a Mage to cast Invisibility on your Thief.

Step 2) Go behind the target of your choice.

Step 3) Attack!

You cannot have kits in multiclass characters, but you can Dual a kit to a generic class. You cannot Dual a kit to another kit.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 12:31 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Welcome to the Forum, Natas. It's always good to see a new face (figuratively speaking).

Dundee addressed the Backstab issue very well. The only thing I can add is that you MUST equip your weapon BEFORE you go into Stealth mode.

Also, Backstabbing is MUUUUCH more difficult in BGII. You have to actually attack from behind the target....and if you try to sneak up on a spellcaster, they will often "hear" you coming (which means you failed your Move Silently roll) and cast True Sight. Backstab is nice, but it isn't nearly as powerful as it was in BGI!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:46 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Cloak of Non-Detection will render True Sight( and other Divination) spells useless.

Also, you can equip your weapon after using Hide in Shadows/Move Silently. You do not lose your invisibility instantaneously. You only lose it after you hit/miss the target or after a few seconds( about 6 seconds if you have 100% in both HiS and MS).

Liches, Kuo-Tuo, Demons, etc... can see invisible units however, so forget about trying to backstab them.

No wait... what am I talking about? You can backstab Liches! Care to know how? You still cannot backstab Demons and Kuo-Tuo however.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:55 PM   #7
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

...ok, they posted quiete some bullshit above.
The game will not take an average of the two abilites, but :

- Hide in shadows determines your ability to hide
- move silently determines if you stay cloaked in the next round

...if someone can see you anyway its part of the game, not a result of a missed dice-roll...

- yes. you have to stand behind your opponent to do backstab-damage

(Assassin is one of my favorites too, try short bow + poison = fun )
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:07 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by lord_gabriel:
...ok, they posted quiete some bullshit above.
The game will not take an average of the two abilites, but :

- Hide in shadows determines your ability to hide
- move silently determines if you stay cloaked in the next round

I learnt this tidbit from the BlackIsle Forums, maybe it is wrong, maybe it is not, but it is widely accepted over there that the game takes the average of the 2 abilities when calculating your chance to go Stealth. It is written in the code, unless ToB or a patch changed it.

- yes. you have to stand behind your opponent to do backstab-damage

At last! Common ground! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

(Assassin is one of my favorites too, try short bow + poison = fun )

Oh, Assassin is fun alright, I am currently soloing one on Insane.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:44 PM   #9
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

...well, if you dont believe me try the following :

create a thief with :

Hide 100% walk silent 20 %
hide 60% walk silent 60 %
hide 20% walk silent 100%

then just try, how long it takes you to hide.

(my thieves usually start with 100/30 and they can cloak almost immidiately, but others won't)

Besides a averaging over the two abilities would be against 2nd Edition PnP rules.

and : if the game would just average these two abilities to determine wether you can cloak or not, what use would they have ?! There would be no reason for a second ability, would it ?

...walk in the light...
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:54 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

When you have 100/30, your average is 65%, which is decent enough to cloak. I will try out 20/100 later on, I will post my results in about 10-12 hours time.