Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Did those guys in the old basic books have names?

I'm thinking:

Dwarf Male Fighter (Berserker, why not?)
Elf Female Fighter/Mage
Halfling Male Fighter/Thief (I know they were just Fighters, but I need a Thief)
Human Female Cleric (I guess I'd give her the Lathander kit, there's no reason not to)

This is a very simple, and decently powerful group, while "bringing back" a very old-school D&D feel, don't you think?

I'd definitely consider going through BG1 first, and probably even use the "3e standard stats" to nerf the power (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8, put 'em where you want then apply racial mods). I think too many people place too much into rolling stats, and don't realize it's still a very do-able game without perfect stats. With so many items to boost stats, it's even less important for a great starting roll than you might think!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Lord Michael
Elminster

Sounds like a plan to me! When I started D&D, Berserkers were only the "bad" guys, but all Dwarven Fighters could be considered their "good" counterparts. That party looks nice, but you don't have the "old bearded guy in robes" as your Magic User. That was a staple in my old D&D days.
And you are very right about insane stats. There are plenty of boosts in Baldur's Gate. Hey good luck with your party.

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks.

BTW, I always disliked that old bearded guy with robes. Dunno why.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Old 11-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Lord Michael
Elminster

I think he was on the Original DM's Guide, trying to get off a Magic Missile....

I'll never forget my first Dungeon Master. I had a level 4 Dwarven Fighter (solid stats & armor), had a +1 "Flame Tongue" sword, and he had me soooo scared of a Troll that I ran!!! I coulda taken that Troll with one hand! He ended up chasing me down (huge move base difference) & slaughtering me! I thought he was a Demon!

Old 11-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

My first game was playing a halfling, which is the WORST class in D&D.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Lord Michael
Elminster

They sure are good with Slings, though. LOL. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Halflings were a class back then? Talk about stereotyping.

If you really want to get basic, use the "Starter Characters" that come when you install the game, with great names like "Fighter," and "Cleric."
Old 11-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

There were seven classes in basic D&D:

Fighter
Magic User
Cleric
Thief
(these above four were humans)
Elf
Dwarf
Halfling

The Elf was like a Fighter/Mage, but took a really long time to level up. The Dwarf was like a Fighter, but took a tiny bit longer to level up, with the bonus of some really good saving throws. The Halfling was like the Dwarf, but had less HP.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

What about the token human Barb ala Heroquest?

anyone remember that game?

[ 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Madman-Rogovich ]