Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #1
b-man
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi,
I am ready to change my level 18 bard. I'd like some advice.
She is female, human. Should I go with a Fighter or Valk or Sam or any other suggestions.
Her stats are:
Str- 52 Int- 100 Pie- 50 Vit- 57 Dex- 100 Speed - 50 Sen- 61
Throw & sling- 76 sword-8 close-16 ranged-71
She is part of a group that consists of:
Male Mook Ranger, Male Human Monk, Female Fairy Ninja, Male Elf Bishop (alch. & priest), Male Rawluf Bishop (wiz & psi).
Any thoughts?
Also, possible spoiler help please...

I have just finished returning Glumph & giving the DS ship coordinates.
I am trying for the Umpani/T'rang alliance. I believe I need to become a Templar now. How should I approach this?

Much thanks
b-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 09:52 PM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi there! What is the level of the music skill of your bard? I can't remember if you could still use the music instruments after changing class but if you could, I would advice your bard to have the music skill of 75+ before changing class or she will not be able to use the more powerful music instruments later on.

Since your bard has an INT of 100, she would make a good spellcaster. It is up to you to decide but if I were you, I would switch her to Fighter or Valk since you would need someone to use the cool armors later on in the game

About the alliance (spolier)

Please make sure that Rapax templar is not hostile towards you. If this is still true, you will need to go to Rapax castle. To get there, you will have to pass through Rapax Rift (a lot of hostile Rapax to kill). Don't worry about them though, once your party has became the member of the templar, all the hostile Rapax will turn to be friendly.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]

Old 03-04-2002, 09:54 PM   #3
Tasmin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Time to head to the Rapax Rift, courtyard and then to the castle. A lot of fighting ahead. You will get to meet Ferro in the castle and buy some cool gear. You can get to the rift thru mountain wilderness or can beam to it thru Trang teleporter in Martin's Bluff. Get that freeze all spell workin good. Found it invaluable in their.

You've got virtually the exact group I'm in the process of creating for my 2nd trip out. Why do you want to change your bard? I finished the first game with an engineer so I wanted to try a bard this time. I see you have some of the problems I anticipate, only two strong frontliners. I was thinkin with R2D2 I could have a third and keep the bard in the back after that. Are you losing effectiveness with the bard? Judging from your attributes, you've got some work cut out to change it into a close combatant. Your dexterity is up for the samuri but you'll need to add to senses for critical strike. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:43 PM   #4
Nix
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by Tasmin:
Why do you want to change your bard?

I suppose because bards peak at level 18, i.e., all musical instruments only require level 18 or lower to play; not sure about the musical skill requirement though. The shift makes sense, especially if music has been maxed out as well. In my first game, I shifted my bard to a fighter. Am on my second game now, and thinking of shifting to rogue this time, mainly for the backstab.

While shifting a level 18 bard may seem like a no-brainer, I'm not sure there are no penalties. One consequence of shifting the bard is that the effectiveness of playing instruments is frozen at the current level and no longer improves. Not sure of this, but I understand the effective power of the instruments is also affected by the level of the bard. If so, then you give up the ability to further increase the "casting power", so to speak, of the musical instruments that your bard plays.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:25 AM   #5
Tasmin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not sure I quite understand changing a character. If he changes his bard and has his music maxed, his new character will be able to play the instruments? His new character will start at level one. Will he still have the HP and stamina of the old character? At level 18, he probably only has about 7 or 8 more level ups before the end of the game (unless he goes around monster bashing for a while ... although EPs come in bunches in Rapax land). His new character will then only be a level 7 or 8 fighter/valk/sam at the Peak. He'll get to wear the cool Ferro garb but can he build a frontliner fast enough? Again, I'm kinda new to these RPGs of late (although I finished Wiz 8 for my first go around). Used to play some of the old RPGs (Bards Tale, Pool of Radiance, Road to Kondor) just none as of late. Please enlighten me. Thanks
Old 03-05-2002, 12:52 AM   #6
dale
Manshoon

If you switch your bard, she will still be able to play any instrument she picks up (or so I am told) --- BUT she will play them at a low level. As it is with spells, the level (equivalent of number of green spots) increases as the Bard's level increases.

Like you, I thought I wanted to switch my Bard at level 18 (to a rogue) -- but was unhappy enough with the results that I undid that change after one or two new levels.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:52 AM   #7
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Yeah, changing a bard at level 18 is goood! I changed mine at level 19, to a ranger, and she's really doing great... The hitpoints and all stats stay, you just loose the communication bonus, but you're not in the poorhouse at that stage of the game anyway. The bow skill rocketed from 0 to 59 in something like 3 levels or so... Of course, I won't be able to max Senses, and also she'll probably never learn Alchemy, but her performance with the bow is just great! Oh, btw, she can use all the instruments, if you change her at level 18 (that's the minimum requirement for the best ones...)

I don't know what I'd do if I already had a ranger. Make another one? Depends on your formation, do you have place enough for another melee type? Then maybe a fighter is nice, the stamina regeneration will probably help in longer battles.

Never forget your towel, cheers
Philipp
Old 03-05-2002, 12:56 AM   #8
Nix
The Magister

Well yes, a bard shifted to say a fighter retains the ability to play musical instruments, but his musical ability stays frozen since (1) his level as a bard no longer rises, and (2) the music skill becomes "locked", or no longer rises with practice or level-ups. Point #2 is of course moot if his music skill is already at 100.

The shifted bard does not lose any HP or stamina from shifting. And yes, he'll likely finish the game as something like a lvl 18 bard/lvl 7 fighter. However, if you've raised the right attributes/skills while he was a bard, such as str/dex/spd and sword and close combat, then I wouldn't worry about his ability to frontline as a low-level fighter. For fighters, class levels are not as important as skill levels (unlike spellcasters where class levels are a factor in the ability to learn spells). To oversimplify a bit, a level 7 fighter with 90 in sword skill will fight just as well as a level 25 fighter also with 90 in sword skill. AFAIK, the only difference will be in HPs and stamina, as the pure fighter will probably have more compared to a dual-classed fighter. OTOH, if you've neglected fighting attributes/skills for your bard and developed, say dagger instead of sword, he'll make a poor fighter and maybe a better rogue. In short, you want to maximize the use of whatever attributes/skills you've already built up in your first profession, rather than let it all go to waste in your second profession. That's the reason it's much better to plan for dual-classing in advance, rather than doing it on the fly.

Oh and I'm not sure it's a good idea to put a dual-classed bard/fighter in the frontline. Not that he can't hack it, but I would personally still find him more valuable playing instruments, shifting to fighter is really just to get a little more value after a plateau has been reached.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Nix ]

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 08:59 AM   #9
b-man
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you for your responses. She has a 100 in Music. The advice I'm hearing has me leaning towards keeping her as a Bard to have the most effective instrument playing. I would maybe go with the fighter to wear more heavy arms. Would the cheat death with a valk make it worth it? Also, is there anything I need to know when becoming a Templar, or just go there and find out? Who do I need to meet? Thanks again.
b-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:08 PM   #10
ratchild
Manshoon

Switch to a rogue... but only for 1 level... but don't click the level up for a long time, so you can get a really high stealth skill. this will help with ac, so you can drop some of those heavier armors and stay unencumbered.