Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Exclamation Try out Levels 8 and 14 again... Tweaked them

They were just too hard to solo, so I have slightly tweaked the main spawns. Give me some feedback if they are just right now--I tested them with a few char builds, seemed better.

Update on new content: Either tomorrow or Wed I'll be opening a huge new tower in Skullport (its the tower you've seen there, but could never enter), and it'll have multiple levels to work--for mid level characters. 12-17-ish and unique loot to find.

Also, a few changed/additions to the new Skullport area--adding in more treasure areas, and a mini-boss of the Xanathar.

Then, I'll be working on adding in some more quests, opening stores (which may happen Wed, I dunno..) as well as the beginning of the Guilds.

Adding a new complete set of items for high level Wizards, which should help out.... um, A LOT!
Then, dropping quests into the small town outside of Waterdeep, and a boat to Chult's Jungles! (Which is going to be freaking awesome) as will be the other areas outside of Waterdeep coming.

I have a script re-written up for the main storyline, which I think will also be neat, and be quite large--a 15 element chained main quest. It'll also give you a peak at what is coming for Halaster in the Forgotten Realms. (Officially)

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Default Re: Try out Levels 8 and 14 again... Tweaked them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post

Update on new content: Either tomorrow or Wed I'll be opening a huge new tower in Skullport (its the tower you've seen there, but could never enter), and it'll have multiple levels to work--for mid level characters. 12-17-ish and unique loot to find.
Excellent, I have a character at just that level, I guess I need to hold off on building her any more until this is ready mid-week.

Quote:
Then, dropping quests into the small town outside of Waterdeep, and a boat to Chult's Jungles! (Which is going to be freaking awesome) as will be the other areas outside of Waterdeep coming.
What a lucky coincidence, that's where she's from, should make her feel right at home...

Quote:
I have a script re-written up for the main storyline, which I think will also be neat, and be quite large--a 15 element chained main quest. It'll also give you a peak at what is coming for Halaster in the Forgotten Realms. (Officially)
Truly awesome, waiting eagerly for new content, as always...

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

I went in there with my friend's concept of the Drow Champion, and...

with a lvl 40 fighter/rogue/WM (11/04/25) took out the Juvenile Wyvern with a devestating critical within moments of arriving in Level Fourteen. Yes, I have to say that the level has been softened up a little so far. Let's see what happens next... (character has a +66 AB. took along a souped up Roddybug The Sage for basis on a few other things.) This time around I could actually HIT the Cyrist Assassins on more than a natural 20. (should have taken the notes for those). You can still be taken out by a storm of magic, but that was my own fault for not taken protection along with me (for myself at least). Took on three Cyrist Guard Warriors by myself with an AC of 72 and AB of 66. So far not too bad, given this character is far better designed than I remembered. (Then again, he's not the version based on the original whip and bastard sword combination.) The Cleric of Cyric should officially be renamed: Scions Of Cyric. I am sorry, Ziroc, but those guys are still tougher than most of the rest of the level... and of the module. I mean, snuffing out a character ten times within five minutes with spells alone is painful. When you realize you have only hit them once within all that time... makes you wanna cry. EVentually killed them but it took a few natural 20s I feel. Two Spiderclaws and two Cyrist Assassins made short work of me with their backstabbing ways. Resurrecting myself, I slew the two Spiderclaws first (which was the faster way to victory) and then took on the pair of assassins. Once more, I found myself striking them a lot more often than in previous memory. Though I will have to bring down my AB +58 character to test this theory a little more. For the Cyric Worshippers... I think it's mainly that damnable Chaos Shield that kills me as often as they themselves do. (note to self: scrolls are every character's best freakin' friend down there...) Ogre Slave Guard - either you hit him or you don't. That is the only way to define how that battle went. (Eventually I hit him.) Oh and by the way... they always hit you with those crossbows of theirs. (And if anyone can figure out how to make a build with a crossbow as the main weapon, let me know. If those Ogre Slave Guards can do it, why can't we?)

- so that was the first run. second run will be from Level Ten to Level Eight and to see what the Underground Forest has in store for the Drow Champion...
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Now on the way to Level Eight - The Underground Forest. Once more with the Drow Champion and Roddybug The Sage....

Elthorion Kinslayer (AB +66, AC 71) and Roddybug The Sage (AB +31, AC 78). And yes, I realize that somehow Roddybug was more protected than my own character. I still don't know how that happened... Okay, strolling backwards through the forest isn't the best way to test how powerful the foes are - or so you would think. Went from Level Ten - The Lizardman Realms through Leven Nine and into The Underground Forest. Faced no opposition initially to test my steel on. That was fine, as I knew there were guaranteed ambush points. Malarite Hunters went down easily enough - that was thanks to a Devestating Critical on one of them. Though they did get a few good shots in on me. The real test is yet to come though, as I go looking for Zhentarim Agents. The Malarite Visionist goes down with a Devestating Critical, and the Malarite Panther Warriors are soon to follow, but they have enough talent to tag me for 25% of my life. So they still hit hard, but we can hit them back more often. I like that. As proof they still hit back hard, they killed off Roddybug even though he had a higher AC than I did. apparently +31 is enough to hit some of the foes down here now. That is a good sign. (Roddybug actually took down a few in one on one fights.) Found a Zhentarim Agent... well, Roddybug did. I found another one creeping up on Roddybug, and slew him with a few dozen good hits. (More than I usually get, might I add.) Droch IsBruionach Tuili (lvl 30 character, not mine) also came down for the party... and smacked the taste out the mouth of a few Zhentarim Agents and Panther Guards. Guss was there as well, just chewing on some straws... Remember everyone - magic is NOT your friend. Implosion ONLY works on PCs. And most importantly, an ambush is still an ambush. Got waxed three times in a row by the Priestesses... though I can finally hit them on less than a 19. And after a few Implosions, using Dev.Crit on THEM was only fair... and satisfying. Note to magic users - scrolls are your friends here as well. Using Mordenkainen's Disjunction and Greater Spell Breach in combination is a good idea. I had to drop a few of those on a couple people that refused to die.

More on the quest of taking Level Eight. Inside the Tree Stump there are the normal hordes of softer enemies, but my Drow Champion had problems slaying the Crypt Things. Not a bad thing, actually, given how fast the other foes went down. Perhaps another boss within the Tree Stump would be appropriate, given the amount of undead things we fought. Loved the script with Moka Dea. (Needs to have a few dozen more HP and some more spells - even if we were using lvl 30 and lvl 40 characters. Doesn't need to be harder to hit, just longer to kill. Will make characters going up against him at the regular levels for the Underground Forest really work for it.) As well, Moka Dea's sword ought to be revised. Right now it's just a basic Balor Sword...

=======
Balor Sword
- enhancement +1
- On Hit Vorpal DC-14

perhaps instead...
Greater Balor's Deadly Blade
- enhancement +7
- On Hit Vorpal DC-20
- immunity Fire 25%
- immunity Negative Energy 25%
- immunity Slashing 25%
- Vampiric Regeneration +7

just a thought...
======

Into The Dark Tower we go. And the priests are as easy as I remember them being. Which is good, as for most regular level characters, the priests were a good challenge at lvl 15 to lvl 25 or so. Same thing with most of the undead. Now as for the dragon. Well, there is a reason she was considered one of the toughest in the entire module. Right now I am typing this while allowing my character to attack mindlessly (and fruitlessly). The rest of this minature region is perfect as it is toughness wise.

I would strongly suggest in here (and the other areas of Level Eight) that there be a Thieftaker character running around and collecting (i.e. removing from module) all the stuff left behind by players rampaging through. The same would go for Levels Eleven and Twelve. They tend to be the worst for "litter." The character ought to be invincible, though, in order to prevent players from slaying them and preventing them from completing their duties. Pity there's no way to have a character like that start at 10 HP, and for every item they collect they gain another 10 HP and +1 AB/+1 AC. It's just too improbable to code properly, and it's not that necessary. So just an invincible "sweeper" would be perfect. Preferably with a flag on his back of the appropriate level with a Weapon Of Harm...
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Great Report! It's good to see things are more balanced there now. I know it was a pain, and their power was way off on level 8.

I had fun with Moka Dea's convo, can you tell? Yeah, I do need to revise his sword, and both the (very large) tree stump, and the mini tower as well. Nothing crazy, just some tweaking and maybe add some more loot and a mini boss or two, eh? (And some new placeables for ambiance)

Old 01-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

I suppose level 14 must be easier now.

My lvl 40 weaponmaster needed less than 20 heal potions to finish off the Cyric Leader this time.

Perhaps when levels 16 and below open we may need a few stalls where we can buy heal by the barrel.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

A 24 pack of healing! Now that would rock!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

I'd rather have a 24-pack of IGM and a whole slap-down of Harm

Old 01-25-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Well, I just have one question about lvl 8. You see, Javan and I were there the other night, and I know, I was supposed to have this up sooner, but all my photo apps were on strike.

I just have to know, what's up with this?

ETA: We were on lvl 8, on the dock in the Zhent camp. What's with the full moon? In an underground forest?

Last edited by robertthebard; 01-25-2008 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Clarity...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #10
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Who cares, it looks fabulous; is that a gibbous moon I see before me?