Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Hello there, I'm new bie in this game and I may be wrong if I am please correct me, ok?

Well, let's get to the point. Unlike the 2nd edition, in 3rd edition if you multi-class you can lose more than 1 level.

In 2nd edition, xp system is like this:

FIGHTER

500.000 (Level 10)
750.000 (Level 11)

MAGE

20.000 (5th Level)
250.000 (10th level)
750.000 (12th level)

Let's say you're a mage with 750.000 xp. It means you are level 12. And another character with same xp but multi-classed (fighter/mage) has 375.000 xp / 375.000 xp. BUT it's not 6/6! It's 9/11!

in 3rd edition level limit does not increases by x2. It uses the formula of 1-3-5-7-10. and you can be 2/1 (cost 1000 xp) later it gets harder to gain a level lets say it costs 10.000 xp. and youare a 10th level mage. you got 2 options you can become a 14th level mage or 10 mage/4 thief.

your comments?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:13 PM   #2
AndyG
Elminster

First off, there is no xp cap, there is just an absolute level limit of 20. Any number of levels, in any classes are allowable, just so long as they add up to 20. You can go 10/10 in fighter rogue, 5/5/5/5 in fighter, cleric, mage, thief, or whatever suits you.

I agree that the strongest characters will probably be level 20 in a single class. For example, very few characters will be able to defeat a level 20 monk one on one. However, multi-classing to a lesser extent can make a fairly straightforward class, like a fighter, a little more versatile. My current game, I'm planning to play a 15/5 fighter/rogue. This gives my fighter the ability to open most locks and disarm most traps. This way, I'm not forced to drag Tomi with me, and can pick one of the other henchmen.

The other point is that some classes complement each other. Adding a few levels of monk to a sorceror or wizard seems like an interesting idea. Adding a few levels of fighter to a rogue or vice versa works well. Starting as a paladin and switching to cleric might make good sense.

Finally, the game is fairly easy to beat. So don't worry too much about having the ultimate character. Obviously, a character with two levels in every single class will struggle to get far, but a sensible approach should work fine.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:19 PM   #3
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I got a fighter and I spended 2 slots in remove traps search and open locs. I'm level 2. should I take 2 or 3 rogue levels?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 07-23-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

I started as a fighter and every so often at level up I change to a rogue so I'm now at fighter level 7 rogue level 5 and he kicks but and opens locks and clears traps with ease!Last game I used Tomi all the way he got to be a pain so this time I went through the first chapter solo with no problem and now I'm using a little cutie Bard Shanara or something.Hopefully by the time I finish this time through Icewind 2 will be out...
Old 07-23-2002, 07:33 PM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

so rogue level 5 is enough?
Old 07-23-2002, 07:46 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

I have a 16 druid 4 theif that can toe to toe with pure 20 level fighters and wizards in a pure pvp sense. I think it is the player, not the character in such situations that make the difference, in addition to items, ect.

I have found those few thief classes invaluable in the single palyer campaign. Having sneak attack as well as stealth hasn't hurt in the pvp arena either, especially after sneaking off to cast stat boosting spells or a maximized lightning bolt or two. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 07:51 PM   #7
DraconisRex

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
so rogue level 5 is enough?
You don't need any rogue levels. If it requires a "specific key," then you have it or you don't go in, no matter what.

If you have ANY weapon or spell that does elemental (cold, fire, sonic, etc.) damage, then you can bash the chest. Wizards are especialy adept at opening locked chests. First, they have "knock," which most sorcerers can't afford to take in the early game. Second, they can clear many traps with fireballs... [img]smile.gif[/img] Last, because of the high INT, they can have quite a few skill points to allocate to traps and locks.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 08:00 PM   #8
DraconisRex

Now for the more central topic...

I think multi-classing is an outstanding option. For example, a "Ranger/Rogue" is a formidible melee combatant AND has some excellent cross-over skills in the areas of sneaking and traps. I played a Ranger/Rogue through most of Chapter 2. She was a highly effective melee combatant.

Sorcerer/Paladins are a valid choice. Both use Charisma, and with the "Still" spell, the Armour Spell Failure doesn't apply to "somatic" componet spells. I've explored this combination, and it works well.

Nothing seems to work really well with monks as only Druids and Clerics use Wisdom. Also, they have so many outstanding "feats" at high level, it's not like you're going to lose a couple of spells or 2 hp...

Bards & Sorcerers multi-class well. So do Bards & Rogues.

Fighters and Clerics/Druids multi-class well. So do Clerics/Rogues and Druid/Rogues. What you may lose in a few high-level spells is often more than made-up-for with a great diversity in ability and approaches to problems.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:47 PM   #9
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

A single level of two of another class is good because it gives you character versatility. You get more value out of adding a whole new class than adding a level to an existing class. My character is a level 18fighter/2rogue. I added just enough to rogue to put a few levels into locks/traps and use magic device. It hasn't really weakened my fighter any, I still have four attacks and only lost one feat, but I gained sneak attack, evasion, lots of skill points and the ability to use mage and cleric scrolls with use magic device. Fighter is a good option for a second class for any character. You gain 1d10 hp, all the weapon and armour proficincies and a bonus feat. And unlike 2nd ed you can easily add a second class and it costs the same experience to become a cleric10/wizard10 as a cleric20
Old 07-24-2002, 04:49 AM   #10
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

I agree with the answers to the original thread: IMHO too, one main class and one support class is the way to go.

I've finished the solo campagn twice with a Fighter/Druid 16/4 and a Mage/Fighter 18/2, in both cases without henchman.

The Fighter/Druid 16/4 for example. He has, approx., -3 to hit, -4 hitpoints and -2 fighter feats compared to a level 20 Fighter but he has the ability to cast Bull Strength (getting him from 25 to 30), Barkskin, Elemental Shield, Ultavision, a Familiar, druid immunity to greese, web and entangle spells, etc,...

OTOH NWN is one of its kind, a solo D&D game especially if you, like me, despise henchmen. A Fighter who can cast the occasional buff spell or disable a trap or a Mage that isn't monster fodder in hand-to-hand combat is the way to go.

My €0.02 [img]smile.gif[/img]