Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-03-2000, 04:39 PM   #1
Magness
Quintesson

The first time I played thru as Magness the Undead Hunter, I had a difficult time with all of those mindflayers. However, the second time thru (playing as Eleryn the elven swashbuckler), I came across a completely solid and straightforward way to deal with the mindflayer dungeon. My 3 frontline tanks were Eleryn(me), Minsc, and Jahiera, all with AC's below 10.

The key to the tactic is ... I had Viconia cast Chaotic Commands on all 3 frontliners and have each character suck down the Potion of Mind Focusing (to raise the INT for the battle) and send them diving into the fray. The only thing that the mindflayers could do was the INT drain. Having all 3 having boosted INT's allowed them to take one free INT drain hit. Also, having THREE frontline fighters in this fray allows me to withdraw any one of them if they take too many INT drains. (Recovering from an INT drain is fairly quick ... only a few rounds.) Of course, the other 3 characters stayed well behind, only engaging with ranged weapons and magic after the mindflayers have focused fully on my tanks.

Also, the Chaotic Commands protection last for a good long time... enough time for the party to completely clear out the entire underdark Mindflayer dungeon without breaking much of a sweat!!!
(I didn't even have to bother collecting those brine potions.) Without most of their psionics, those mindflayers are more evil monsters to be ground under my boots (of speed)!!!

I read on this board some other tactics that worked as well, but most seemed to be clever (nothing wrong with clever) passive-aggressive tactics that were "needed" to be counteract massed mindflayer psionics. My tactic is a completely aggressive, "I'm gonna whup your collective asses and there's nothing you can do to stop me!" Of course, if you don't have a cleric or druid that can cast 2 or 3 Chaotic Commands spells ... then there's always those more clever tactics.
Old 12-03-2000, 05:19 PM   #2
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

ummmmmm. You are lucky the mind flayers I fought used "Psychic Drain" on me which was very powerful and knocked my fighters out.
Old 12-03-2000, 05:30 PM   #3
ironfist

Use the wand of Cloudkill, it takes them out in a minute....

Old 12-03-2000, 05:44 PM   #4
Armisael

Eh? Shit, no wonder everyone's been praising cloudkill while I've been wondering how they get it to work on things like golems and flayers... the wand, not the spell. Magic resistance doesn't work on wands. Gee, only took me about a month to figure it out, too.

Old 12-03-2000, 07:24 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Good tactics, Magness. Without Psionic Blast and Psychic Drain they're pretty lame, it's a question of successfully and consistently making yourself immune to the Psychic Drain. Does anyone know if they have to roll to hit you with Psychic Drain? I had an AC of -7 and was getting hit like anything.

Oh, and they're the only creatures where if you randomly encounter them and am not prepared, you are totally fucked. Every other creature (even dragons) you can at least try to fight back, with these guys if you turn a corner and they're there...sayonara! (to you that is.)
Old 12-03-2000, 07:44 PM   #6
Armisael

Their brain devour takes effect every time they hit, no saving throw. It's built into their regular attack. If you want to take a look at it in more detail, the item code is 'MINDFLAY'.

Old 12-03-2000, 08:44 PM   #7
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Great minds think alike! I just finished the Flayer city using the exact same tactic. Talk about kicking some ASS!!! My dwarf fighter battle axe master did it with improved haste and girdle of frost strength mostly solo, with a newly 14th lvl monk and priest of helm to back him up. My other three characters didnt even get into the fray. Fabulous!!!
Old 12-03-2000, 08:50 PM   #8
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

I have made a Ring of Change which lets you change into a mindflayer. Give it to your whole party and turn them all into mind flayers. Then create using Cluae Consle 100 ogres then psionic blast all of them. The result is funny!
Old 12-04-2000, 12:08 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

One thing I found a little cheezy was this run and close the door strategy. I've used it a lot so I'm not the least bit critical about using it but hey, mind flayers are supposed to be so bloody intelligent, can't they even find the doorknobs on their own doors?
Old 12-04-2000, 12:19 AM   #10
ironfist

I'm totally agree, mindflyaers should be able to open the doors by using their mind.
Maybe it's something BioWare has to change in BG3.