Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Getting back to Basics...P&P AD&D Advice Sought

I never played D&D until Baulder's Gate came out, though I had read Forgotten Realms since the late 1990s. My first "game" was had here on these forums in the Role-Playing forum (I miss seeing that forum operating). Many games would use 2nd or 3rd edition rules during game play.

I want to introduce my two kids to AD&D and I want to buy a board game that we'll play weekly. Their ages are 9 and 12, both girls. As I said, I only know AD&D from video games, this forum and reading. I've never owned a board game. I know a board game is not necessary, but for the childrens' sake I thought it would help with the visualization. If I am not mistaken, some P&P have models, but not all. Some box sets come with pre-scripted worlds or areas and challenges for the DM to base his story from but not all. I want to walk into a Barnes and Noble and pick up something and bring it home and play it but I don't know where to begin. Can somebody advise me based on my circumstances?

In a semi-related point to my gaming question, there is a movie on Netflix called 'Astropia' which was fun to watch because of all the gaming references they make, including "Leeroy Jenkins!" It's in Icelandic, and subbed in English. I liked it. A non-gamer becomes a great gamer and uses her newfound skills and friendships to overcome adversities in real life.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: Getting back to Basics...P&P AD&D Advice Sought

The recent line of WOTC D&D boardgames come complete with all the minis and interlocking tile maps needed to play ready to go straight out of the box. It's slightly board-gamey but also the parts can reused in a standard D&D game. My nephews (9,10) really love playing these, though the content is rated a bit more mature.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I recommend the boardgame "Lords of Waterdeep", for a casual, though challenging boardgame. If you want a more P&P-like experience get "Castle Ravenloft" or it's brothers "The Legend of Drizzt" and "Wrath of Ashardalon". I don't know if the bookstores will sell these, though I have seen them in my Books-a-Million. Look them up on Amazon.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Have you looked into d20pro Me and a few friend use it along with Google+ to use webcam and voice so we can get together and play. The DM loads up the maps of his making and we all take it from there. We've been schooling his 10 year old son on it and is becoming a rather good player.