Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 05:58 PM   #11
Lavindathar
Harper

Hope your back soon.....

I have a moderator job, but none of them is online...grrr...
Old 01-08-2002, 10:00 AM   #12
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Wow, I was actually right, amazing!

Anyway, if it's their DNS servers that are messed up then of course you can't do much Mem. I thought it just might have been your settings. Hmmmmm, I wonder if there was some way you could use another ISP's DNS servers? It might be worth getting a mate who has a different service provider to give you the addresses of the DNS he uses and trying that. It's a long shot though...
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-08-2002, 08:55 PM   #13
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

don't take any guff from those swine memnoch, and by god give them what for
Old 01-08-2002, 09:06 PM   #14
Durwyn
Elminster

Hmmm. Well I upgraded ME to XP a week ago on my birthday hehe... I had only two troubles, one was starting up my IWD from the Shortcut, and accesss All Programs from the start menu which I dont use because I switched to the "original" Start Menu. However all my other games launch fine, so now I have to launch IWD from putting the CD in. And today I experinced one more error I had my IE closing down on me when downloading stuff from my Hotmail account. Which did not happen before. So its actually been going on pretty smooth. And if you do exprience problems with XP, get Fix-it 4.0 Utilities. A great thing, cleaned up my XPs act like an enraged mother against a thug son hehe.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:12 PM   #15
Durwyn
Elminster

Oh and BTW make sure you check constantly for XP updates, they're fixing errors as we speak!
Old 01-08-2002, 11:51 PM   #16
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

I am seriously thinking of doing this...do I need to uninstall XP first or do I just format my HD and do it again? How hard is this?

Memnoch, I did a format before upping to XP - you don't need to uninstall because the format will remove everything on the HD anyway.

Therefore...you MUST backup ALL files you want to keep, either on a seperate drive or on a removable source.

For all programs that you want to keep you need to have the original disks or saved files of the original install files.

Other than that, it's damn easy and I agree that it may iron out a few problems for you. (Just make SURE you have everything you need before you do it - "measure twice, cut once")
Old 01-09-2002, 12:05 AM   #17
LennonCook
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Neb:

Why should I? When I can just install 98 and not have any bugs? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Because 98 is primative. VERY primative. But I agree- XP is hopeless. Bugs Bugs and mayve a few creepy crawlies that carry viruses.

Memnoch- If ur going to reinstall windows, GO BACK TO ME- IF THAT IS WHAT UR USED TO, USE IT.

And no Memnoch, I am not able to get back here using my ADSL (note to everyone: I am the other memnoch typed of in his update) Im using an old Dialup connection.

But I am beggining to think thatg by some strange coincindance The Telstar Helpdesk might be RIGHT in saying that its a Microsoft problem. I AM USING A TELSTRA BIGPOND DIAL UP!!!! I am going to try an experiment as soon as I turn my computer on (im sitting next to it on a laptop- horrible screen.. )... If my suspician is right (its just crazy enough to be) then it is a problem with IE not recognising certain things with ADSL. If this IS whats happened, then it SHOULD be fixed by using another browser, thus I am going to go against evrything I know, and download *announces with venom* NETSCAPE.

Ill keep u posted on this experiment. (and besides I do NOT want to be using a laptop with a very slow connection (Over 10 minutes to download under 2 Meg!!!) for the rest of my life)
Old 01-10-2002, 12:51 AM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SookmaCook:

But I am beggining to think thatg by some strange coincindance The Telstar Helpdesk might be RIGHT in saying that its a Microsoft problem. I AM USING A TELSTRA BIGPOND DIAL UP!!!! I am going to try an experiment as soon as I turn my computer on (im sitting next to it on a laptop- horrible screen.. )... If my suspician is right (its just crazy enough to be) then it is a problem with IE not recognising certain things with ADSL. If this IS whats happened, then it SHOULD be fixed by using another browser, thus I am going to go against evrything I know, and download *announces with venom* NETSCAPE.

I don't think so, because I was able to access Ironworks earlier using XP. I am 99.9% positive that Telstra have NOT updated their DNS servers. But post the results anyway - I want as much info as I can before I really go to town on Telstra.

Old 01-10-2002, 01:32 AM   #19
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, so much for doing my experiment quickly... mum wont let me. Ill have to do it sometime when shes out... and her new years resolution was to stop drinking because it was making her sick. Ah well, ill do it when I can.
Oh yes, Mum *SAYS* its a router problem. Ofcourse, this is the same person who said it was a problem with the FORUMS before i knew about someone else having the same problem, then saying it COULDNT be a problem with the DNS because its the same URL... and we can still get here. So ill try anyway, mainly because its MUM who guarentees that it wont work (did i mention that shes trained as a computer technician ?? I think its part of their training to say its an ISP problem and then denie it and keep chaniging their story so noone knows what the problem is!!!).
So like a helpdesk person (and incendentally my mother was the helpdesk for something at one stage) says its ur problem, a technician says its NOT. Unless ofcourse they both say it isnt THEIR problem... i wonder what microsoft would say about a paper jam ?? "Well make sure ur drivers are installed properly- uninstall them and reinstall them [10th time uv had to do this], ok so contact your printer manufactorer- its *THEIR* problem"
Contact the printer manufacterer " Sorry, a paper jam is a microsoft driver problem. Contact microsoft- its *THEIR* problem "

Amazing how helpful helpdesks are. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 10:46 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SookmaCook:
then saying it COULDNT be a problem with the DNS because its the same URL... and we can still get here.

You can still get to www.tgeweb.com/ironworks because the domain for that is different to www.ironworks.com which is where the forum is. This is definitely a Telstra problem (as usual). I've had to chase 10 different people to find out what they're doing about my issue and it's really pissing me off. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]