Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Okay, I need help with the following concepts. Now I figure if I find that website again that posts links to numerous builds I will use that as well, but I wanted to ask the general populace here first about these:

1) revised edition of my chatacter from Legend Of The Five Rings - barbarian (or fighter, but barbarian levels suit the RP)/weaponmaster. weapon of choice = nodachi (greatsword) and naginata (halberd) as a minor.

2) revised edition of everyone's favourite halfling, Tomi Undergallows - thief/shadowdancer(?)/weaponmaster or thief/fighter/weaponmaster. weapon of choice = kukri

3) character concept - half-orc barbarian (or fighter)/cleric/weaponmaster. weapon of choice = (still unsure, more than likely maces)

4) character concept - "straight from the slums of Shaolin" fighter (or monk)/weaponmaster. weapon of choice - quarterstaff

Now, the top one is the most important one for me as that is going to be used in the Escape From Undermountain module. The rest will more than likely be used in the module at some point and time as well. My current build for the weaponmaster DOES have devestating critical which occurs at the oddest of occasions (but it DOES feel good to get three of those in a row...) How would I go about making the top two WITH devestating critical, and the bottom two WITHOUT devestating critical? (And I was hoping to get circle kick for the monk along with whirling attack...)
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My first piece of advice is to totally forget that Circle Kick even exists. That is, unless you prefer to find yourself constantly changing targets to stay on the main baddie in a group. I have said this before, but it bears repeating; there are no bad combat feats, except for Circle Kick. Other than that, I have no idea what it is you're looking for. Weapon Master builds are pretty straight forward. I would avoid a quarterstaff monk/weapon master, as it would involve spreading stat points all over the board for a decent build. Fighter would be better, and mixing cleric into a fighter or barb wm build is a bad idea too, especially if you're looking for dev crit. Same reason as the monk/weapon master too, have to spread stat points too wide. Dev Crit requires 25 base str, and you'll need to have a high enough wisdom to cast spells for your cleric levels.
So far as I know, Tomi was a rogue. It's a bad idea to split your weapon focuses too, you end up mediocre in two weapons, instead of really good with one.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
My first piece of advice is to totally forget that Circle Kick even exists. I would avoid a quarterstaff monk/weapon master, as it would involve spreading stat points all over the board for a decent build.
So far as I know, Tomi was a rogue. It's a bad idea to split your weapon focuses too, you end up mediocre in two weapons, instead of really good with one.
RTB is dead on .... unarmed or Kama is the way to go for a monk, and diluting it with weapon master just dilutes the strength of the monk build.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
One of the numerous reasons I listen to robertthebard is posts like this one:

My first piece of advice is to totally forget that Circle Kick even exists. That is, unless you prefer to find yourself constantly changing targets to stay on the main baddie in a group. I have said this before, but it bears repeating; there are no bad combat feats, except for Circle Kick. Other than that, I have no idea what it is you're looking for. Weapon Master builds are pretty straight forward. I would avoid a quarterstaff monk/weapon master, as it would involve spreading stat points all over the board for a decent build. Fighter would be better, and mixing cleric into a fighter or barb wm build is a bad idea too, especially if you're looking for dev crit. Same reason as the monk/weapon master too, have to spread stat points too wide. Dev Crit requires 25 base str, and you'll need to have a high enough wisdom to cast spells for your cleric levels.

Okay, things to remember so far:

1) No Circle Kick. Apparently it doesn't work properly. I thought it was good as it allowed me free hits on multiple opponents. Wasn't really worried about focusing on one character as that was for "dive in and hit" character concepts.

2) For the "slums of shaolin" character, stick with Lawful alignment, scrap the monk, and replace it with fighter in order to work with a quarterstaff using build. (fighter/weaponmaster, quarterstaff - human)

3) No cleric levels in a barbarian build after all. Oh well, I did have to ask about that one. I just like the thought of it. I still need a third class more than likely for that half-orc build. Not sure what to use though as I was hoping for just enough magic to boost their stats and skills. Perhaps just hope for weapons and items that give spellcasting powers? (barbarian/weaponmaster, clubs or light hammers or handaxes - half-orc)

4) For the revision of the Clan Unicorn Onislayer, stick with the nodachi for all the boost. If there is room later on after getting devestating critical, mayhaps THEN get a secondary weapon. (barbarian/fighter/weaponmaster, greatsword - human)

5) Tomi WAS a thief, but I was trying to do another version (or three) of him with weaponmaster levels. I thought of going rogue/assassin for one concept as well, but I didn't think him that hard edged... (rogue/weaponmaster, kukri - halfling)

6) Monks should have gotten more weapons to gain bonuses from. Makes me wonder how I would properly do a Clan Mantis Pirate then. Unless there's a way to sneak around the hardcoding in the system to give other weapons the same kinds of bonuses inside of the game - which there probably is not. So there shall be no monk/weaponmaster builds for me. Ah well, there's always the dream.

7) As much as I want to, that rogue/fighter/weaponmaster build using daggers and whips will more than likely remain a dream of mine instead of reality. Probably as I don't spend enough time really and truly crafting out these builds in order to maximize their abilities within whichever module I have them running through.

[ 11-15-2006, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I belive this is the build page you were looking for?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The whip/dagger combo is intriguing though. With that wonderful Weapon Finesse feat, and a high enough dex, since both weapons are finesseable, you could get by with a focus in the dagger. If you take the Ambidexterity/Two Weapon Fighting/Improved Two Weapon Fighting comb, you may not even need that. Of course, you could save yourself the feats, and use a Ranger base, and take at least 9 levels in Ranger. Stay in light armor, and you get those feats for free. It may take more than 9 Ranger levels to get to WM anyway.

@TDC, thanks for that link...Now I can test out some ideas before I roll them up.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #7
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

T-D-C:

1) your hammer is in the mail. well, not quite yet, but when Ziroc finishes all his hard work, the Trollslayer concept will be sent off to him. I did that one up fairly swiftly, and I believe you will like the end results.

2) that would be The Build Page of build pages I was trying to remember the location of. thank you for the reference links.

RobertTheBard:

1) I think I tried a build with whip and dagger before, but no weaponmaster levels. I may ask Ziroc to remove about... five or seven of my characters from my piles before attempting it. (More than likely using a girl for that concept, as Zorro would be whip/rapier.) I may also try it with kukri as both whips and kukri are listed as exotic weapons.

2) Are there any good weaponmaster builds that incorporate magic usage in them at all which are not reliant on Use Magical Device? Perhaps ones for bards or sorcerers? Mayhaps even a Paladin/Champion Of Torm/Weaponmaster? (I believe I've made Holy Avengers for just about every major weapon type so far...)
Old 11-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Pally CoT would be a good build for WM levels. As for other magical classes, most pure spell casters, wizards/sorcs and that ilk, save their feats for magical bonus feats that they will need to survive. It's up to the individual, but a mage/wm may be sort of weak.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Moz - if you are looking for some stat boosts and magic with your Barbarian may I suggest a combo of Barbarian / Bard / RDD? I ran one very successfully through EFU and and working on another on a PW. On EFU I get the 10 RDD prior to level 20 (I think it was 10 RDD / 2 Bard and 8 Barbarian), this time around though I am going to take 20 or 21 levels of Barbarian first to max my BAB and then mix in some Bard / RDD. The stat boosts from RDD speak for themselves while the Bard Song helped in battle. Also, being able to use scrolls / wands was very useful.

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I've been looking through some of the builds on generated by that char hunter, and man, I wish I'd been keeping notes on a couple of the builds I have in EfU now. I know my Archer posted here:
http://robertbard67206.com/images/Beling.jpg
would fit right in, not to mention the cleric, and one of my ranger assassin builds...Laziness bites, sometimes...