Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-10-2004, 05:31 AM   #41
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sedai:
Just out of curiosity, Lennon, but have you taken the cat to a vet to have him looked over?
We haven't, no. He seems happy enough as long as we don't pick him up the wrong way, so Mum thinks it best to not stres him too much. He's been with us since early this year (around January, from memory), and was with his previous owners for a while before that (he came to them as a stray). They did take him to the vet when they found him, though.

Quote:
It may be that he had a "backyard" neutering. *shudder*
That's what we've been thinking. Mum got my brother's partner to look at him (she grew up on a farm, and so she knows her stuff), and she thinks it was done crudely.

Quote:
But he could also have a blockage, a urinary infection or maybe even ate something that is stuck in his intestines.
If it was an infection, wouldn't you generally expect it to show up faster than this? Something stuck is a good point, though. I'll mention it to Mum later, and see what she thinks.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #42
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Well, I got Mikka back, she's looking a bit dazed but I'm surprised she's so mobile still, walking around, climbing on her scratching post (though she's not doing anything too energetic thank God). If that were a human having an operation we'd be on our back for days, eh.

One thing - they shaved off all her beautiful long fur on her stomach!!!!! I wonder how long it will take for that to grow back...
It won't take too long to grow back. What I hate more is where they shave off the hair on the forearm to give them the anaesthetic. Poor little babies with their bald patches.

LOL when Tuppence had her operation she was all groggy so I left her on the floor in my bedroom on a little pallet of blankets I'd made for her while I got her some dinner, and I came back and she wasn't on the pallet, and I looked all over the floor and couldn't find her! Finally I happened to glance on the bed and there she was, having climbed up the side onto it. It was so funny because I she was in plain sight, in the middle of the bed but I didn't see her because I didn't dream she would have clambered up herself!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:47 PM   #43
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

The hair will grow back before you know it Mem, and that's the least of your worries...

I had my dog neutered a year ago I think, and no significant diff... well he's missing a pair off that but it doesn't seem to bother him. And I agree, they become more... refined in a sense, but he's just freaked out with fireworks!

I didn't want to have him neutered, but I he was just humping all over the place and well... I think you get the point. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2004, 01:37 AM   #44
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, she's just about back to normal now - running around, it's almost like nothing's happened to her. She's a bit wobbly when she runs but otherwise seems fine. I've been making her not run so much, because I don't want her to rip the stitches or anything, but she hasn't been licking or picking at them or anything. Thanks to EVERYONE for their insights, it really did give me a lot of peace of mind! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2004, 08:34 AM   #45
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Wonderful to hear, Mems.

Give her a full week, and you'll hardly know anything had ever been done with her. Well...except for waiting for her fur to grow back. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #46
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
quote:
Well, I got Mikka back, she's looking a bit dazed but I'm surprised she's so mobile still, walking around, climbing on her scratching post (though she's not doing anything too energetic thank God). If that were a human having an operation we'd be on our back for days, eh.

One thing - they shaved off all her beautiful long fur on her stomach!!!!! I wonder how long it will take for that to grow back...
It won't take too long to grow back. What I hate more is where they shave off the hair on the forearm to give them the anaesthetic. Poor little babies with their bald patches.

LOL when Tuppence had her operation she was all groggy so I left her on the floor in my bedroom on a little pallet of blankets I'd made for her while I got her some dinner, and I came back and she wasn't on the pallet, and I looked all over the floor and couldn't find her! Finally I happened to glance on the bed and there she was, having climbed up the side onto it. It was so funny because I she was in plain sight, in the middle of the bed but I didn't see her because I didn't dream she would have clambered up herself!
[/QUOTE]Did pretty much the same with Inga! She was wandering about, all groggy and I was afraid she'd get hurt climbing to the bed.

I had to put her and some blankets in the bathroom when I went to work (didn't want her littermate, Merlin, to pick on her while I was away) and came back to find her lying there with her back paw stuck in the ridiculous collar they gave me- it was too big for her! So that's how she ended up in the ace bandage/gauze outfit. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2004, 11:25 AM   #47
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just a quick update on Mikka - she's pretty much all back to normal, except for her fur. I'm still careful with carrying her, but it was almost like nothing happened to her! She wasn't even licking it or anything. Animals must have a different pain threshold to people, eh.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #48
Absynthe

Quote:
Just a quick update on Mikka - she's pretty much all back to normal, except for her fur. I'm still careful with carrying her, but it was almost like nothing happened to her! She wasn't even licking it or anything. Animals must have a different pain threshold to people, eh.
Glad to hear your baby is doing well, Mem. She's a little cutie, very photogenic. (hint, hint)
Interesting thing about the way they react to pain, I was reading a study recently about that, and the gist of the research is that animals don't react the way we do for a couple of reasons: First, animals don't anticipate pain the way we do. Humans will obsess about an injury and anticipate the pain, so when we do feel it, it's twice as bad.
Secondly, it's contra-survival to advertise that you are injured. Small predators like cats are subject to predation by larger animals, so making a lot of noise or even evidencing that they're injured acts as a "come eat me" signal for larger predators.
The upshot to the article is that animals feel pain just as humans do, but react to it very differently. Well, looky there, I've rambled on again..