Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2001, 05:02 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Not quite BG2 related but Forgotten Realms-related. Here's some news that you may or may not be aware of.

Fireworks Television Licenses Hasbro's Forgotten Realms
Fireworks to Develop Series Based on Popular Wizards of the Coast Property
Los Angeles, September 18th, 2001 -- Fireworks Television, a division of CanWest Entertainment, has entered into a licensing agreement with Hasbro, Inc. [NYSE:HAS] for Hasbro's Forgotten Realms property, which is based on the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game by the company's Wizards of the Coast subsidiary.

Under terms of the agreement, Fireworks will develop a live action television series based on the game setting and novels of Forgotten Realms. Wizards of the Coast and the Hasbro Properties Group, the Company's intellectual property development arm, will work with Fireworks to develop story lines for the television series.

"To work with Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro on the development of this unique property with such a large and loyal following is a real opportunity for both our companies. Our production and distribution expertise to develop the TV series coupled with their intense knowledge of the story lines leaves no doubt that Forgotten Realms will be a special series," said Daniel Tibbets, Vice President of Fireworks Television. "Forgotten Realms is a property that's rich with characters and dynamic settings," said Jane Ritson-Parsons, President of the Hasbro Properties Group. "Fireworks Studios has the expertise to develop a series that will capture the fantasy of Forgotten Realms and take the traditional roleplaying game to the next level."

Already a worldwide success with over 150 novels, many of which are featured on the New York Times bestseller's list, and 100 game books available, Forgotten Realms is a magical, medieval world in which wizards, sorcerers, druids and heroes wield their various magic skills on adventures that take them from deserts, forests, mountains, bustling cities and new continents.

Fireworks Entertainment is a subsidiary of CanWest Entertainment, a division of CanWest Global Communications Corp., and is one of Canada's largest and fastest growing entertainment companies. Headquartered in Toronto and operating internationally with offices in Los Angeles, London and Dublin, Fireworks develops, produces, acquires and distributes an extensive slate of feature films and television programs throughout the world. The Fireworks library includes the upcoming series Mutant X, set to air this fall, the action/adventure series Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda starring Kevin Sorbo, Relic Hunter starring Tia Carrera and A Wrinkle in Time produced in partnership with Miramax Television and set for broadcast on ABC's Wonderful World of Disney in February 2002, as well as the soon to be released feature films Rat Race, starring an ensemble cast of John Cleese, Whoopi Goldberg, Rowan Atkinson and Cuba Gooding Jr., and Cletis Tout, starring Tim Allen and Christian Slater. For more information on Fireworks Entertainment, please visit the company's web site at www.watchfireworks.com.

CanWest Global Communications Corp. (NYSE: CWG; TSE: CGS.S and CGS.A;www.canwestglobal.com), is an international media company. CanWest, now Canada's largest publisher of daily newspapers, owns, operates and/or holds substantial interests in newspapers, conventional television, out-of-home advertising, specialty cable channels, and radio networks in Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and the United Kingdom. The Company's program production and distribution division and interactive media division operate in several countries throughout the world.

Wizards of the Coasta, a subsidiary of Hasbro, is the worldwide market share leader in the trading card game (TCG) and tabletop roleplaying game categories. A leading developer and publisher of game-based entertainment products, as well as the owner and operator of one of the nation's largest specialty game retail chains, the company holds an exclusive patent on the play mechanic of TCGs and produces the world's best-selling Pokémon® and Magic: The Gathering® TCGs. Wizards of the Coast is also one of the world's leading fantasy and science-fiction book publishers and is publisher of adventure games such as the classic Dungeons & Dragons game, family card and board games and electronic media products. Headquartered near Seattle, Washington, Wizards of the Coast has international offices in Antwerp, Paris, Milan, London, Beijing and Sydney. For more information on Wizards of the Coast, visit the company's Web site and electronic retail store at www.wizards.com

The Hasbro Properties Group was established in May 1999 to maximize Hasbro's vast intellectual properties in a wide-range of entertainment-based categories, including visual media, licensing, publishing, promotions and location based entertainment.

Hasbro (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys ranging from traditional to high-tech. Both internationally and in the U.S., its Playskool, Tonka, Milton Bradley, Parker Brothers, Tiger, and Wizards of the Coast brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.

------------------
Old 10-25-2001, 05:08 AM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Yes, I heard it's going to be of similar style like the Beastmaster, Hercules, The Lost World and all those other cheap tv series. Very disturbing news indeed.
The idea on its own is very good, but not if it's indeed going to look anything like the series I've mentioned.

------------------
Not a member of any clan and is cool with that.
Talk about anything you want at The Elysium.
For online roleplaying, check The Elysium Gaming Project.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:09 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Cool! If they ever make action figures for a Sorcerer, Paladin and/or Blade, I am soooo going to buy them.

Provided they look decent enough of course.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Old 10-25-2001, 05:12 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Yes, I heard it's going to be of similar style like the Beastmaster, Hercules, The Lost World and all those other cheap tv series. Very disturbing news indeed.
The idea on its own is very good, but not if it's indeed going to look anything like the series I've mentioned.

Hercules cheap?!? I like Hercules!

------------------
Old 10-25-2001, 05:23 AM   #5
Keylow
Manshoon

Not putting you down here Memnoch, but you gotta admit, some of those shows are pretty lame...
But I must say, I've watched Hercules to sometimes, so it isn't all bad

Anywayz, I hope that it's gonna be cool show, like Grojlach said

Yippie, made DungeonMaster with this post!!!!!!
Smiles everyone, smiles!!!!

[This message has been edited by Keylow (edited 10-25-2001).]
Old 10-25-2001, 07:49 AM   #6
ReGiN

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

Make that two!

------------------

I saw the movie, but I didn't think the action scenes were THAT good.

Old 10-25-2001, 08:15 AM   #7
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Did anyone else think that dungeons and dragons film was crap. The dragons were very impressive but the film was just naff. I really didn't like it. I quite like herculies too. "Lord of the rings" is coming out soon and they better not of messed it up. Gandalf the great should be pretty powerfull. And I want to see the ring wraiths.

Warby
Old 10-25-2001, 08:51 AM   #8
Byronas

Quote:
Originally posted by Warby:
Did anyone else think that dungeons and dragons film was crap. The dragons were very impressive but the film was just naff. I really didn't like it. I quite like herculies too. "Lord of the rings" is coming out soon and they better not of messed it up. Gandalf the great should be pretty powerfull. And I want to see the ring wraiths.

Warby
Me too Warby. I don't want Lord of the Rings will be a disaster. Did anyone heard anything about making Drizzt's movies?

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-25-2001, 09:01 AM   #9
mitsos

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

I hate it. Alright, the first few episodes were interesting, but after that they messed up with all the different ancient mythologies, gods and suchlike. In the end, it became a bit of nonsense.

Old 10-25-2001, 09:05 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I like Hercules too.