Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #31
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Hey here's a question.

Singapore and Ironworks have something in common. What is it?

I'll give you some hints. It has to do with what you can or cannot do in public to keep the "harmony".
Play an evil alligned party in BG2 ? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2004, 07:22 AM   #32
Link
Jack Burton

Don't tell me it has something to do with either johnny or Cloudy and total post count?

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 11-18-2004, 07:54 AM   #33
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

You can't chew gum! I got it, didn't I!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #34
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
Actually, that ban was lifted recently,
from what I read.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:05 PM   #35
wellard
Dracolisk

Arrrrggghhhhh Sorry Yorick but the firt Asian Ironworks meeting has been missed. I'm now back in Sydney. To much quality time being dragged around spent shopping in Chinatown, little India and Orchard road to find an internet cafe and check my pm box. Hardly got a chance to sight see, my wife was in shopping heaven From the address you sent we would not have been far away too. Our hotel was just outside Farrer park MRT station. Oh well whatever nevermind [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Loved Singapore though, what a place! Wonderfull multiculturism at its best.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-21-2004, 06:33 AM   #36
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Arrrrggghhhhh Sorry Yorick but the firt Asian Ironworks meeting has been missed. I'm now back in Sydney. To much quality time being dragged around spent shopping in Chinatown, little India and Orchard road to find an internet cafe and check my pm box. Hardly got a chance to sight see, my wife was in shopping heaven From the address you sent we would not have been far away too. Our hotel was just outside Farrer park MRT station. Oh well whatever nevermind [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Loved Singapore though, what a place! Wonderfull multiculturism at its best.
dont worry wellard.. ill make it up for ya. im heading off on dec 10. yorick will still be there [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #37
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Cool Harks, let me know when you're in town.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-28-2004, 12:20 AM   #38
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Actually, that ban was lifted recently, from what I read.[/QUOTE]Some clarifications.

The chewing of gum in Singapore is not banned(at least, within the confines of your home). What is banned is the commercial sale of chewing gum in Singapore.

Additionally, under the Singapore/USA FTA, the USA is allowed to export medicinal chewing gum to Singapore for sale in Singapore's medical industry(i.e. pharmacies).

Ergo, if Singaporeans want candy gum, they go to neighbour Malaysia for their fix. :p There is of course, a restriction on how much chewing gum they can bring into Singapore from overseas. A maximum of two boxes if memory serves me well(one box equals twenty packs equals a hundred sticks).

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
~~ anyway.. ill be heading off to singapore around dec 10-13 if anyone from IW will be there as well during that time
Well... I do kind of live here. :p

10th - 13th of Decemeber? Hmmmm... I will be on my block leave by then.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:
Essentially it is a good and safe place to go for a vacation, but... everytime I visit Singapore, I felt like I have just entered a megacity Alcatraz. I felt so restricted and I was warned several times by my friends as not to break the law or I will be fined.

Gosh, the last time I ever felt so restricted was back in my school days 15 years ago... ~~
Life is not that bad.

Quote:
Come! Takea drive up to Penang! Spend a few days on the beach in 'the Pearl of the Orient'! :p

Cos there ain't no way in hell my parents will drive me for 10 hours to get to Singapore to meet some freaky net people
You know, my birthplace is in Penang. Nibong Tebal to be exact. Chances are, I will be going back to Penang for our annual family meet.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 11-29-2004, 01:38 AM   #39
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I was talking about public proselytisation being illegal.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #40
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I was talking about public proselytisation being illegal.
There is a big difference in the two you compare, however.

On Ironworks, the rule is in place to prevent one from getting onesself or causing another member to get kicked out of our virtual country for becoming too upset during a debate gone sour, thus losing virutal resource (the member).

In Singapore, it is to protect the citizens of that country from consuming western culture, and losing thier own. Something I hear is of big importance in certain lands.

[ 11-29-2004, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]