Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-18-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
quietman1920

I know this is a longshot, but I have to ask: does anyone have this type of cell phone? I'm having trouble getting it to 'hot synch'with my laptop. I want to to be able to for redundancy purposes (as a back-up). I picked this phone as it was on both the US and European standard and was hoping to use its PDA functions.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Not a long shot at all, my good man. I have one of those cell phones sitting around. I'll need more information to be able to help you out, though.

Do you have a data cable? And the software CD with the drivers that go with it? What is your OS? And the exact error message or problem?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
quietman1920

Thank You! I don't have the cable; I'm using the IR to IR function. I'm using XP on a compaq nc6000. I have the softwre/driver disk, and it asked for an *.ini file to be entered to work with Lotus Notes. I just rebooted & retried it ... and It seemed to start working. But then I had to kill the app as it has the program became 'hung-up'.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:34 PM   #4
Arledrian

Hmm... I haven't worked with IR much. Did you install all the software before lining up your phone with the IR port? Because if you did that vice versa, it's going to give you hell. Also, did you check the software manufacturer's website for updated drivers? If not you should definitely check that out. Sorry I can't be of more help, I was hoping for a USB cable / error message to work with.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
quietman1920

Those cables are Pricey (from manufacturer). Cheapest aftermarket special 'cheapie' I could find was $13 with shipping. The wife has Verbotten [emphasis beyond written expression] me to use the credit card, however. (I'm thinking of bribing a coworker to buy it on their card & ship it to work.)
Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
Arledrian

A quick search on eBay turned this up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Not much cheaper than what you found, but a cable will definitely give you less hassle over the long run, so if you're thinking of hanging on to the phone for a while, I'd say it's worth it. IR is notoriously temperamental and certainly isn't the best method of synchronizing or transferring data. Good luck on buttering up the Missus.