Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #31
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

As an exception to the rule: I bet you looked great in them newb
Old 01-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #32
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentThief:
quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Tainted Love!
Whats wrong with you?

SilentThief
[/QUOTE]Nothing wrong with me junior! [img]smile.gif[/img]
My friends and I still joke about songs like that. They were pretty scary. Tainted Love by Soft Cell and Cars by Gary Newman. It was just bad synth. stuff, we just didn't know it at the time. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 10:49 PM   #33
Nerull
Lord Ao

Mad

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Musically the 80's were the black hole of the 20th century. A whole endless list of 'rock'(which was more like pop than anything else) and pop consisting of playback and cliches and some of the simplest musical compositions EVER.
That was the popular music. Then there was Metallica, Megadeth, etc. It was the heydey of metal (not just hairbands, but the hardcore stuff, too). Also, beginning of rap (Run DMC, etc.), lots of industrial music and new wave(Ministry, New Order, Violent Femmes, etc.), and so on. Honestly, I would place the 90s as more of a black hole than the 80s (boy bands, etc.).

I will agree about the fashions, however... Seemed cool at the time, but some of that stuff I would not wear again (Members Only jackets, parachute pants, etc.).

I was born in 1970, so I went through my teens in the 80s. I remember the first day MTV came on the air (younger people tuned in to see videos in general, but older people tuned in to see the Thriller video from Michael Jackson). Went to high school 1984 - 1988, and started college right after. So those are times that I look back at with great pleasure (quite a bit of it is hazy, however; I drank a LOT in the 1980s).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 01-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #34
Animal
Gold Dragon

The 80's ruled!

Reaganism!
Hair Bands!
Mullets!
MTV!

What more can I say?
Old 01-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #35
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:
In Holland, legwarmers came back into fashion! I'm wearing pink ones right now
Here is a scan of the Sears flyer I just got today!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #36
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by NewbietoRPGs:
Legwarmers BABY! Legwarmers!!!
FAME!! I'm gonna live forever!!

Ick.
Those things belong to the stuff in the 80's I'm trying to forget.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #37
spydar

Born 1983, didn't become socially aware until 1993 but was too young to really take part in anything until 1995, and by then everything that was going on was nothing I wanted part of (namely boy bands and an endless stream of britney spears wannabes).

All I remember about the 80's are the awesome cartoons, swatch watches, big hair (or as my sister called it the b**** flip), and neon markers.

my greatest regret: being too young to fully enjoy the grunge movement of the early 90's.

[ 01-08-2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: spydar ]
Old 01-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #38
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
Honestly, I would place the 90s as more of a black hole than the 80s (boy bands, etc.).
You couldn't be more right.

I was born in '87, so I remember pretty much nothing from the eighties, but I know a lot about it because I watch Vh1 and my uncle. He still has a lot of recorded episodes from Headbanger's Ball. Compared to today, the 80's was the golden age of music, a lot of awesome songs, better than what they have out today. Too bad it died out when the early 90's came around.

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Musically the 80's were the black hole of the 20th century. A whole endless list of 'rock'(which was more like pop than anything else) and pop consisting of playback and cliches and some of the simplest musical compositions EVER.
Pop in the eighties? With guys like Motley Crew, Metallica, Guns'N'Roses, Dokken, and Iron Maiden, I never heard much pop music.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #39
Nerull
Lord Ao

Oh, there were some really bad pop songs in the 80s, too. Remember, on those shows they list out the highlights (either the really good or the really bad). As a precursor to the 90s boy bands, try New Edition or Color Me Badd.

Politically, we were just coming out of the escapist 70s/Disco (escaping from Vietnam) and here comes Reagan selling hope for the future (well, the illusion at least). As a result, we had Reaganomics (i.e. Trickle down economics, or as Bill Maher stated, "they are p**sing on you"), Iran-Contra, the Evil Empire (and the collapse of the Soviet Union and the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, easily one of the more memorable things that has happened in my life), and the whole "Ronbo" portrayal.

Heck, look at the movies. Predator, Rambo, etc. The 80s were also the heydey of the pure action movie. Arnold was absolutely huge in the 80s.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 01-09-2005, 05:29 AM   #40
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

The 80's .. The Final Countdown ... Shoot me.