Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-01-2004, 06:03 AM   #1
cav_again
Manshoon

I think I uninstalled something I shouldn't have while I was screwing around in the Add/Remove programs menu...

now, I get no sound on mpegs, and is I try to play mp3s in winamp, it gives me the error:

DirectSound Output v2.2.10 error
Bad Direct Sound Driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error Code: 88780078

I checked the configuration menu, and I cannot change devices because the option is greyed out (I assume there are no ther devices to choose from). Is there a way to fix this less drastic than a system restore?

thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 06:07 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Just run the "add hardware" program in the Control pannel. That should find the device, and install drivers.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:14 AM   #3
Azeral
Manshoon

Is it onboard sound? If so try the cd that came with your motherboard. If it is a package computer the sound drivers should be avaible to install automaticly. there should be a driver cd even if it is a package computer.

[ 12-01-2004, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: Azeral ]
Old 12-01-2004, 06:28 AM   #4
cav_again
Manshoon

yeah, it was onboard soound. I clicked on add hard, and my pc rebooted, but i have my sound back. thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 08:59 AM   #5
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Just for future reference, in any situation like this,

System Restore is your friend [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
The Fallen One
Elminster

i've had problems like that with my soundcard, all i did was disable the device, and then renabled it. If that doesnt work your best bet would be to uninstall your sound drivers completely, then reinstall them.

EDIT: didnt see that you already got it working [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 12-01-2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: The Fallen One ]
Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen One:
If that doesnt work your best bet would be to uninstall your sound drivers completely,
But it wouldn't!!!

People overlook the glory of System restore. It can fix anything. Even your Marriage.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Has anyone seen Lennoncook yet to post his daily dosis of "I hate Windows!"

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 12-03-2004, 10:36 PM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Has anyone seen Lennoncook yet to post his daily dosis of "I hate Windows!"
Firstly, as I said in the other thread, I don't hate Windows. I simply hate it's quirks and security problems (and default colou scheme). Secondly, such things are hardly daily (well, ok, they have been lately, but that's coinicidence [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Thirdly, the problems that cav_again was having are not direct quirks of any program. Although I think it would be easier to fix these things in Linux (no putting up with a wizard), and Linux programs would tell you more about the actual problem (and maybe even give you hints on fixing it, depending on what reported the problem), I avoid telling anyone to change OSs unless they seem at least vaguely interested in it, which most people do not.

Beumanoir, System Restore is realy a little over the top for something like this. Sure, it can fix everything, but there are other ways aswell, which are often easier, faster, and less destructive. To use system restore for anything short of "I can only boot to safemode" is much like bulldozing a house because of a carpet stain... moreso if you don't have a recent restore point.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:56 AM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

The Cook's right. I think XP is a very good operating system, but I won't touch IE, even though I've had some issues with Firefox on some sites.