Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
Bernardo
Manshoon

I've played Baldur's Gate 1+expantion, 2+exp.; IceWind Dale 1+exp., 2 and now I was thinking of trying Neverwinter...

Tell me ALL I must Know!!!

Thanks in advance

[ 01-12-2005, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Bernardo ]
Old 01-10-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

You missed Planesape: Torment in that list. Its the other infinity engine game, the least popular but the best written. Well worth a go if you can find it.

As for NWN, its one of the best RPG games ever, but its main strength is online play. It gives acceptable performance over a decent dialup connection though, so most people will be able to play online. IronWorks Escape From Undermouintain mod is one of the best.

Its system requirments aren't to bad by todays standards, but yu need a decent graphics card to play.

It uses the 3rd ed ruleset, the same as IWD 2. This means that those loading scenes in BG2 that claim you can move your character to NWN are incorrect.

The original campaign is particularly weak, the expansions are better and many third party modules are exellent. (Of course, many third party modules are truly dire, but there are ratings on the vault so you can look for the good stuff).
Old 01-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #3
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Unlike Icewind Dale II you will create only one character in Neverwinter Nights Original Campaign (OC for short). The characer can hire one henchman at a time in the OC. If the character is a druid or ranger then he can have an animal companion. If the character is a wizard or sorceror then he can summon a familiar as well.

There is a sticky thread at the top of the Undermountain forum which describes what you need to get in to Ironworks Escape from Undermountain mod.

The vault ANDREWAS mentioned is at www.nwvault.com. They have a lot of downloadable modules and other Neverwinter Night information for free.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

There was an expansion to IWD 2???? I missed that as I would have gotten it, I liked that game, for a play it once anyway.

edit: oops, got off topic, just took me by surprise, that's all. Probably the best thing about NWN's is online game play, topped only by the ability to create your own content. Somebody made a module that you like, but thought *this should be different*? Load it in the toolset, and change it. I spend a lot of time in the toolset, and with some patience, you can learn to do some really cool stuff.

[ 01-11-2005, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
andrewas
Harper

No, theres no expansion to IWD2. It didnt get enough sales to warrant one, and was a fairly tired addition to the series anyway. (IMHO before someone throws things at me).
Old 01-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
Bernardo
Manshoon

I'm gonna change it now... I didn't even think of it... although BG2 had 2 exp... Throne of ball is an expantion right?

So in Neverwinter Nights you get only one character and a companion??? How is the weapons' situation
Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

BG2 has only one official expansion, ToB, although a few of the mods are big enough to count as an expansion in their own right.

NWNs generic weapons are good, there are every base type and enchanted versions. The artifiact weapons are OK as well, nothing that stands out as much as Celestial Fury or the Equalizer though, but that could just be because I havent analysed NWNs selection to the extent Ive analysed BG2s and am just not perceiving the best of em for what they are.

You can have two henchmen in the HotU campaign. But NWNs engine dosent allow for the same control as BG2s, having henchmen can be more of a hindrance than a help, and a full party of 6 would be unmanageable.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
Bernardo
Manshoon

So it's practically a solo game?
Any good magic?

I love wizards... although as a solo game is hard to play with them... but I guess in this game it will be completley different since it's ment to be like that...
Old 01-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #9
andrewas
Harper

Any good magic he asks? Well, theres no equivalent to BG2s PRATI tactics, no Wish spells to abuse, and its generaly less cheesy. But theres a reasonable selection of effective methods of killing things. Of course, early on, mages suck, and you should have a combat-oriented henchman and/or familiar. But later on, anything you want dead, dies. Simple. Also, the 3rd ed system is a lot more flexible than the 2nd ed system, so you don't have to choose between a pure mage or a 50/50 split like in BG2.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:46 AM   #10
Ilythiiri
The Magister

Unlike BG and IWD, NWN is in 3D. Some of my friends actually stop playing NWN, just because its in 3D, solo gameplay and 3rd Ed rules. Personally, I enjoy playing NWN then BG and IWD.