Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #41
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Tighter categorisation of codeblocks underway. Some restructuring to streamline the scripts even further and hopefully reduce the AI Cycle. If all goes well... I might be able to squeeze in spell-targetting for ThirdNearest and FourthNearest without exceeding 200KB for any of the spellcasting scripts.

Priority of Lower Resistance is going to be lowered and given a category of its' own. Spellcasters will choose to target more vulnerable targets first before choosing to cast Lower Resistance.

Codeblocks handling countermeasures versus Spellcasters are going to be modified so that they ignore Crypt Things.

----

Bugs Being Fixed

1) Slow and Suffocate are being modified to ignore hostiles that have the Ring of Free Action (monsters use FREEACT.itm to be precise).

2) Domination will ignore Slimes and Revenants.

3) Chromatic Orb will ignore Slimes.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:22 PM   #42
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I THINK I may have figured out a way to improve the targetting system to cater from NearestEnemy to TenthNearestEnemy without severely bloating the AI Script.

Plans are underway to merge all the spellcaster scripts into one universal Spellcaster Script. It will be appropriate for all ranged spellcasters or pure ranged units. This will combine the following scripts...

IWD_Archer
IWD_Bard
IWD_C-R
IWD_Mage

... into one.

Having an universal script will enable debugging and editing of codeblock behaviour to be easier and less repetitive.

Note that the Chinese New Year is here, so I might skip this Sunday for the update, and postpone it to next Sunday instead. Apologies to anybody who was hoping for changes this Sunday.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:06 AM   #43
motub
The Magister

Just downloaded the scripts, and am very much looking forward to using them. I can certainly see from this thread how much work you've put into them, and they look killer!

When they're all completed to your specs, don't suppose you want to move on to IWD2 ? It could use some good scripts even more than IWD/HoW.
motub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:16 AM   #44
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Just a little note that I am still working on the Universal Ranged Script.

Continue() seems to be flawed in the IWD engine, so I am sticking to the standard individual codeblock method. It's bulky, but at least it is reliable.

Although it was a nightmare restructing the script... hence the unfortunate delay.

Due to the unfortunate unreliability of Continue(), intelligent targetting from Nearest to TenthNearest is not realistic in terms of filesize... so I had to compromise by settling for Nearest to FourthNearest.

The final filesize will still be more than half a MB... but short of making the script more stupid or reducing the intelligent targetting, there is little else I can do about it.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #45
NobleNick
Quintesson

Dundee,

I am not currently using scripts (I enjoy micromanaging); but still come view this thread every week or two to see if I can learn anything new (which I usually do).

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #46
NobleNick
Quintesson

Dundee,

Summons: I virtually always use summons defensively --> as meat shields, choke point blockers and distractions for the enemy. In the final IWD battle I used them as speed bumps and traffic cones to funnel the enemy where I wanted them, or at least slow them down in getting to where they wanted to go. It was great fun!

My favorite summons is the only one I typically don't use defensively (although now that I am in ToTLM their offensive capability is waning): The Bard's Berserkers. I got the Bardic Horn of Valhalla early on, before Dragon's Eye; and these guys rocked for virtually the entire IWD game. (The "horn" was definitely, far and away, my best purchase.)

(Slight DE1 spoiler coming) ...

~
~
~
~
~
~

The nicest characteristic of the berserkers is their innate longevity. Their most challenging trait is their lack of direct controllability. My most memorable use of them was in the first level of Dragon's Eye. I detailed this encounter in an old post. The short story is: I summoned them immediately upon entering DE1. With proper support and by using main party members to lure lizards to where the berserkers could see them, I was able to use the berserkers to slice through the entire first level, except for the spider's alcove and the lizard king's chamber. It seemed like between the main party and the berserkers SOMEONE was getting a critical hit on a lizard-guy every round! The screen was almost non-stop critical-hit-rocking-and-lots-of-lizard-parts-flying for a solid 45 minutes, as I teased the berserkers further and further into the cave. The last berserker went down almost simultaneously with the last of what must have been something on the order of 70 lizard men. Wow! That was over a year ago, and is still the most memorable encounter I've had in IWD/HoW/TotLM.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:03 PM   #47
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Egads! Reading through the manual again, I came to realise that one round in IWD equates to seven seconds, not six like the BG series! Had to... you guessed it, edit the script. Weeee, I make it sound so simple. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It explains the time discrepancy problems I had been facing throughout the project.

I then discovered that the following was not valid,

Class(Myself,MAGE_ALL)

Apparently... MAGE_ALL (and their ilk) only applies to enemies, but not the party. Why? I do not know why, but because of that, I had to retinker the way the script tries to determine your class. It had to be specific. If you are a multiclassed Fighter/Thief, you were considered a FIGHTER_THIEF, not FIGHTER_ALL, not THIEF_ALL, FIGHTER_THIEF... ...

It pains me to know it took me two days to discover this and find a way to rectify it. I was this close to splitting up the script again.

Currently, the file stands at 507KB. Filesize reduction at this point would be wishful thinking. Intelligent targetting now caters from Nearest to FourthNearest.

I just need to run a few more tests to make sure it works smoothly and I will release it. Then I will take a break before cracking on an universal melee script.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #48
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

ARGH!

/me gnaws on his shin

Apparently... See("X") where X is the .cre filename, does not work properly. It compiles properly in Near Infinity, but fails to work on the field.

This means more edits... ...

GRRRR... it's going to be a major PAIN to try and see how to make the script decide smartly so that the character does not waste time on casting Globe of Invulnerability when he/she sees Revenants... ...

/me gnaws on self somemore
Old 02-08-2004, 06:42 AM   #49
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm... some more technical problems. Funny how the problems appear only after you finish compiling the files.

This time the problem appears to be just some format issues in the .baf file. Nothing Wordpad can't fix.

I'm going to be busy tomorrow, so it might take another two days. Hopefully this time, I will have succeeded in ironing out all the bugs.

On the bright side... I will know what to do, and what not to do with the universal melee script. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #50
icelus
Manshoon

Hey, Dundee... any updates/progress on these scripts?
[url]\"http://modlist.pocketplane.net\" target=\"_blank\">Infinity Engine Modlist</a> - Comprehensive, Interactive, and Up-to-date!<br />[url]\"http://www.pocketplane.net\" target=\"_blank\">Pocket Plane Group</a> and [url]\"http://www.gibberlings3.net\" target=\"_blank\">The Gibberlings Three</a> - your sources for quality IE mods
icelus is offline   Reply With Quote