Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-30-2002, 12:54 AM   #1
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I know from experience that if two computers are networked and one has XP installed and the otehr has ME installed, the one with XP can see the one with ME. The one with ME cannot see XP.

Has anyone here managed to get a game of, say, Baldurs Gate 2 going between the two operating systems? I dont even know if the TCP/IP protocals are compatible. I just know that ME will not see XP on a network.

Anybody got a clue??

Also I was wondering if anyone has tried playing NWN through a network between the two operating systems.
Old 06-30-2002, 01:05 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I have no problems with the exact setup you describe... and ME *can* see XP. It possibly depends on which XP edition you have- I have XP Pro; and we did have some minor problems with XP home.
Old 06-30-2002, 01:06 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, Jim and I have played BG2 (tcp ip ) and I think he had XP but I had win98 and we were both able to play. He may have still had ME at the time, though, I'm not sure.
Old 06-30-2002, 01:16 AM   #4
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Hmmm. My son had XP and I had ME and I couldnt see him at all no matter what we did. We both had Realtek network cards and they are the same model (8139 I think). He ddint have any trouble seeing me. I just couldnt see him for anything. Very frustrating. He could get files from me but inorde for me to get a file off his computer he had to send it to me.

Since hes not a BG2 fan I never bothered trying to install it on his comp just to find out if it would allow a network game.

Thanks yall [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2002, 06:21 AM   #5
andrewas
Harper

It should work - TCP/IP coudnt care less about microsoft networking, give it a valid IP and itll work. Try pinging the other machine, if that works - and it will - then you can run any TCP/IP game across it.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:57 AM   #6
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

Did you run the Windows XP networking wizard. It should ask you to create a disk to run in the ME system that will make them see each other.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:00 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

If your running any kind of firewall software, including XP's built in firewall, that will cause problems.
If I remember correctly your ME machine needs to be logged into the same domain as your XP computer.
I've got 1 XP Home, 1 2000 Server and a 98 box all on the same network with no problems.
I've never run ME, but ME and 98 are the same thing. Under 98 or ME you need to make sure that all users are not using the same profile.
Like Nick1979 said, fire your XP disk into your ME box and choose other options, and network set up. This will put all the necessary files on your ME machine.
If your XP box is running NTFS, ME will not recognize this file system. XP can grab files of the ME drive, but ME won't even see the XP drive.