Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #11
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Yeah I know the laws in your part of the world are very tough for that sort of thing. Fortunately that's not the case the world over. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As I said earlier, here in the UK it would just be confiscated, you wouldn't even be taken to a police station.
A step in the right direction. Now if only government policy could learn to hop, skip and jump...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:36 PM   #12
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Actually, I'm surprised the police took him to jail in VT. I know cops in VT often just dump the stuff.

Barry, in the US possessing a controlled prescription drug without a scrip is usually a felony. Marijuana is, in fact, the only controlled substance in most US jurisdictions that is a misdemeanor. So, it is punished less than the other drugs here.

Of course, I'm all for decriminalization. On that note, my wife only prosecutes marijuana possession cases if it's a large amount or if the person is a repeat offender. I mean, I may be for decriminalizing it, but I still have no sympathy for these repeat losers who can't get it through their heads to... just... quit... smoking... in public! It ain't legal yet, dummy!

Anyway, personal rant off now. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Funny story. My best friend's parents owned a grocery store. He got to manage it for a week while they were on vacation. He "cross-marketed" Doritos with ZigZag rolling papers in kiosks at the check-out lanes and TRIPLED sales of both.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:31 AM   #13
wellard
Dracolisk

The Girl Scout cookies where probably more harmful to him .. .... Ironic no?

Epona that is great news regarding the law, but it still leaves room for "interpretation". One step at a time I guess

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 03-10-2004, 07:05 AM   #14
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

They should just legalize it... yah mahn...

Poor guy got caught... and perhaps the case on entrapment is weak because they duly notified the man to NOT eat the cookies. But then that could also result to neglect because in the first place why on earth put him there? No room, no bust methinks.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:23 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Epona that is great news regarding the law, but it still leaves room for "interpretation". One step at a time I guess
You're right it does. Tbh that was more or less the case before it was reclassified (used to be class B like amphetamines, now is class C like prescription drugs) - as long as you weren't caught dealing, growing, caught numerous times, or with a huge amount on you it would be slap on the wrist and off you go. The police considered it a waste of time to prosecute people for possession for personal use. Growing or dealing was mostly punishable by fines unless you were one of the 'big boys' (or a campaigner such as in the case of a Green Party candidate who was sent down for 6 months for growing a few plants for personal use).

Unfortunately when pot was downgraded the penalties for dealing class Cs were increased, so it's sort of a no win situation. You won't get in trouble for possession of small amounts (pretty much as before) but if you're caught dealing and the police decide to make an example of you the penalties could be tougher!

Oh well, I suppose downgrading is legal recognition of the fact that people shouldn't be persecuted for a harmless personal activity, even if in reality the situation hasn't changed much.

My own view is along the lines of no victim=no crime. But there you go. When I'm queen of the world all drugs will be legal anyway, so just wait a few years....

[ 03-10-2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 03-10-2004, 09:27 AM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
*Votes for Epona*
Old 03-10-2004, 09:44 AM   #17
Epona
Zartan

Who said anything about voting?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:00 AM   #18
Bahamut