Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2003, 01:45 PM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

Phew
thanks yorick
It's hard to put a well formed argument like yours when the brain is willing but my command of the english language embarrasses me. Leaving school at 15 without being able to spell and other basics is a handicap I would not wish on anyone.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-10-2003, 02:01 PM   #12
Annatar
Mephistopheles

thats like pretty f*cked up right there... I'm only sharing my opion though [img]smile.gif[/img] ... that hole thing there is becomming mad... using Donkey's as suicide bommers.. why? If you watch the news now and then there are a lot of guys that would willingly blow them selfs up (ofcorse killing alot of inicent bystanders) why? beats me.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #13
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

yorick said it best! but one thing i think left out, suicide bombers volunteer, that is why they are "suicide" bombers. if they didn;t want to do it they would be "homicide" bombers or something similar.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #14
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
They were making a point. When making a single point you don't go muddying the waters with other things. Yes suicide bombing is wrong. Terrible. But there are people in uproar about that. PETA's existence is focussed on animal rights. It is outside their "juristiction" to comment on the validity or not of war. THey are in a perfectly legitimate area by commenting on using animals to blow up other humans. Which is a way of limiting terror options also if you think about it.

One group focusses on human bombs? Could take humasn out of the equation.
Another group focusses on animal bombs? Takes animal bombs out of the equation.
A thrid group focusses on landmine prevention? Takes landmines out.
A fourth hits chemical weapons? Or nukes? Or a type of inhuman grenade?

You get the picture.

Nowhere did I read that PETA said "please use humans as bombs thanks". THey just limited their concern to the area they are supposed to concentrate on.

Animal welfare. Someones got to do it.

Where there is animal welfare, human welfare follows.
All of that is if you assume that the world works on a pluralist basis, which I would argue is a little bit naive. Pressure groups only have power where their interests coincide to a reasonable degree with the people they are attempting to convince, which in my mind takes pluralism right out of the equation. A body can only be pulled a certain distance off of its intended policy course in the first place, and pluralism assumes democracy through competing interests - the net result of which will most likely not be a positive change but instead no effect on the original policy course. The Brit government is a prime example of pluralism in action, or inaction I suppose... (or at least it has been since the death of trade union activism on the large scale).

I always have arguments like this with a mate of mine - we're both left leaning "liberals" who agree on most stuff. Except I'm the communist and he's the vegetarian... I'm apparently heartless and have no principles, whilst of course I say he cares more about chickens than people!
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 02-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #15
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Oh that's great. One group of terrorists scolding another.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:02 PM   #16
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
I once read an article where it stated most serial killers abused family pets.
Makes sense to me, animals are defenceless and therefor easy targets for those kinds of people.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:24 PM   #17
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Oh that's great. One group of terrorists scolding another.
khazadman, You rule!! For some reason I find this funny and almost spit out my drink because of it. Kind of like "Oh, the irony"
Old 02-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #18
Atrayu
The Magister

This is a great topic Hunter.
I did read that letter PETA sent to Yasser last week and was really confused at first how to feel about it. Anger and a repulsive feeling subsided into me seeing this final view of his command instructing underlings to do this-"like an angry child who never grew up or respected life in its simplist forms".
Anyone who has been to this area of the world knows animals are a familys lifeline in most cases. I think money had something to do with the selling of this donkey and I don't know if deception was involved but the person who raised this animal knows who he is. [***edit for swearing***].

I hope this bombing crap stops in that region and the people start growing up a bit. Darn it! I feel even stronger twards the human bomb attacks but thats another topic.

[ 02-10-2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Atrayu ]