Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

A couple of months ago the bike club of which I'm a member, the Ulysses club, had a mass ride and AGM meeting in Canberra. Despite over 5000 of us being there (I was working and missed out) from all over the country some of our members where attacked by members of the Rebels motorcycle club. Now over the years I’ve been on rides with and even been invited into the Hells Angels MC clubhouse in Guilford Sydney (an unforgettable experience) and been to hundreds of events and rallies attended by other outlaw gangs without ever having a problem. Then all of a sudden this happens. I was going to post about this a while ago and have chosen to do so only because it has been in the press again.

From the Sunday mail
A NOTORIOUS bikie gang is threatening a social club for veteran riders because they don't like the nametags on their jackets.

The outlaw Rebels gang has told Australia's biggest social motorcycle club, the Ulysses club, to change their uniform or face "enlightenment".

The Rebels, who have a history of organised crime, drug distribution and bloody battles with rival gangs, have taken it as a personal insult that Ulysses riders are wearing "rockers", or tags, on their jackets.

Our club logo is not the problem but the rockers (patches) above and below the logo are. (See the Sunday mail link above for an example) The Rebels have left us in no uncertainty about what will happen if we do not comply and given their record of killings, beatings, drug dealings etc what is a bike club or individual to do? It might be cool to say F**K them, “ we will wear what we want”, but our club is just (all be it a very large) social bike club made up of all cross sections of society.

Its doubtful the police would take action, given as well the number of them killed by outlaw bikies over the years. What can be done when a large well armed organization like the Rebels live outside the law? I’m posting on this side of the forum hoping for a mature response / ideas / stories of similar incidents. Were our club leaders right in agreeing to the rebel’s request and asking the members to remove the rockers from our back patches?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

It's usually the pledges or the newer members of the Rebels, HA, Outlaws, etc. that raise a stink about the rockers. It's their way of showing how devoted they are to their club. The clubs in general only have a problem with a 3-piece patch, with a central patch & rockers above & below, and in the US it's only if the social club's arrangement closely resembles the gang's in color & shape. Do they have a legal right to force the Ulysses members to change? Of course not. The question becomes, are the Ulysses members willing to risk violence over the issue? IMO, a patch on your jacket isn't worth getting hurt over, with the possible exception of your country's flag. My suggestion would be to put away your vests/jackets for a while, let things cool off, then have the Ulysses officers ask to meet with the Rebel officers and ask them what would be acceptable. Maybe it's enough to remove one or both rockers & leave the central patch. Maybe after things have cooled off, the Rebels will say it's not that important after all.

Do you know any Ulysses members in NZ? There are a few in my Vulcan group...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Get into a gang war with them.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 AM   #4
Djinn Raffo
Ra

There is not much you can do to avoid conflict if they are stubborn and borderline psychotic. Hopefully the police are on the ball when the gang decides to press their claim.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Now, maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes people will use any excuse to pick a fight. So, change your patches and you may find yourself confronting yet another demand. Maybe not -- it's not a subculture I fully understand.

But, if it's true that they're itching for a fight just for (bleep)'s sake, it seems to me you have 2 options: (1) start packing heat and be ready for a scrap; or (2) adopt a pink triangle for your patch and make your motto "We Are Women."
Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Now, maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes people will use any excuse to pick a fight. So, change your patches and you may find yourself confronting yet another demand. Maybe not -- it's not a subculture I fully understand.

But, if it's true that they're itching for a fight just for (bleep)'s sake, it seems to me you have 2 options: (1) start packing heat and be ready for a scrap; or (2) adopt a pink triangle for your patch and make your motto "We Are Women."
Yeah right, then instead of looking for a rumble, they might want to have sex with them.

Hey Wellard, if you're interrested....i know an adress for handgrenades for a very reasonable price. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I've heard of a few instances of this happening in the US. Once the patches were removed things settled down. I kinda suspect the Rebels overreacted when *5000* bikers apparently "invaded" their territory.

Has there been a recent change in the Rebels leadership, or has a new chapter opened up? I'd be worried if some new leader or chapter is looking to make a name for itself. Barring a major change like that, I'd hope this will blow over in a few weeks.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by VulcanRider:
It's usually the pledges or the newer members of the Rebels, HA, Outlaws, etc. that raise a stink about the rockers. It's their way of showing how devoted they are to their club.....then have the Ulysses officers ask to meet with the Rebel officers and ask them what would be acceptable. Maybe it's enough to remove one or both rockers & leave the central patch. Maybe after things have cooled off, the Rebels will say it's not that important after all.

Do you know any Ulysses members in NZ? There are a few in my Vulcan group...
There are many NZ Ulysses members but non that I actually know of Vulcanrider. Mind you I am only a junior member as full membership starts at 50

You’re guessing may be right because the word is that newer members of the Rebels MC carried out the attacks. And it seems that tensions within their ranks have forced a show of unity by all the Rebels and there leader. A couple of our Ulysses bike group were hauled into the Rebels MC to have things clearly explained to them!

Quote from our website
...Expectations of a quiet face to face meeting with Alex and a few others was quickly dispelled as we walked into a hall full of Rebels all seated awaiting our arrival.
Three seats were already allocated for us facing Alex who was seated with six of his lieutenants, three either side, with the remaining 40 – 50 members behind us. Vic Lesslie and I have been to many meetings in our life for a multitude of reasons and this is the one we will both never ever forget.

Alex Vella was and still is the supreme commander of the Rebels nationally and what he states regarding any Rebel issue is final word.
We have been told that the actions and directions taken in Canberra by our National President Rick Bedford regarding Ulysses members not to wear rockers is commendable and from Alex Vella’s viewpoint the right decision..... Another statement made that was also taken note of was a scenario that if three Ulysses Club members were pulled over on the road because one was wearing rockers then all three will be dealt with in the same manner.
All members should be aware of this when riding with any other member foolhardy enough to ride with rockers on their back.

They respect the Old Man Patch on the back of ours jackets and vests but expect to see nothing else, especially top or bottom rockers, or anything resembling Outlaw colours. They are not concerned with what we wear on the front of our gear.

[ 06-08-2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #9
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Anyone with some time to kill who wants to learn the differences between Motorcycle Clubs like the Rebels vs. Riding Clubs like Ulysses might want to browse this site . It seems to have some good general info, but I suspect it was written by someone trying to make the MCs look more respectable to the general public.

-----
Old 06-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #10
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Thanks for the link, i'd no idea things were this complicated!

Would it be an accurate summary to say that riding clubs are much more relaxed than motorcycle clubs? These motorcycle clubs seem to be much more prescriptive about appropriate behaviour etc.

Glad things have been sorted out Wellard, but I have to say, I find the notion that one group can dictate the sort of designs that another group wears rather offensive. They need taken down a peg or two...

How exactly are patches "earnt" then, seeing as so much store seems to be placed on this?

[ 06-09-2005, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote