Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 03:15 PM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
The games were made by the devs and not by the company name. The devs are still out there. Only a name died.
But didn't the devs' cooperation in developing games also die? [/QUOTE]They'll simply move to a new game company. Let's hope this time they find one that is really interested in making good and interesting games, as opposed to Interplay.

And for the record, a lot of the Original BIS members had already left.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:33 PM   #12
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
They'll simply move to a new game company. Let's hope this time they find one that is really interested in making good and interesting games, as opposed to Interplay.

Ha, really? I thought the team fell apart. That's good to hear.

And I heard about the part about the original BIS members - They made a company by themselves, did they not? Let's see how that fares.

There's also the creators of Arcanum and ToEE, who used to be a part of BIS.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:05 PM   #13
Ares

Interplay has made a couple good games in my opinion..Descent comes to mind, but they totally killed that series with Freespace and Descent3

Fallout 1 and 2 and BG2 are my favorite RPG games, ever. Too bad Black Isle is going down =(
Old 12-09-2003, 06:09 PM   #14
Stratos
Vampire

Didn't Brian Fargo used to be a member of Black Isle? And isn't he and his new company InXile working on a remake of Bards Tale?

It's sad to see BIS go. But some of their games weren't really commercial hits. I'm thinking of IWD 1&2 and PS:T, good games but never sold more than to make ends meet.

[ 12-09-2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 12-09-2003, 06:11 PM   #15
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by uss:
quote:
The games were made by the devs and not by the company name. The devs are still out there. Only a name died.
But didn't the devs' cooperation in developing games also die? [/QUOTE]They'll simply move to a new game company. Let's hope this time they find one that is really interested in making good and interesting games, as opposed to Interplay.

[/QUOTE]Yes, lets really hope so. I was/am looking forward to maybe a BG style game set in Krynn. Man, now that would great!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:15 PM   #16
Nerull
Lord Ao

Hate to see them go. I agree that the move anymore is to console games (I go into game shops (Game Stop, Electronics Boutique, etc.), and the PC section just gets smaller and smaller). And they really are putting out some real garbage out there with the rushes (look at ToEE; the thing had more bugs than any game I had ever seen).

Oh well, I just read the posts on this forum, and wait in most cases to hear the word of mouth on PC games. If it sounds good, I consider buying it (I didn't wait for word of mouth on ToEE, and ended up getting a Beta project).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 12-10-2003, 02:42 AM   #17
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Letter

shame... they made such nice rpg's.. thats what made me come to IW in the first place.

Catch me if you can..
Old 12-10-2003, 05:31 AM   #18
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Didn't Brian Fargo used to be a member of Black Isle? And isn't he and his new company InXile working on a remake of Bards Tale?

It's sad to see BIS go. But some of their games weren't really commercial hits. I'm thinking of IWD 1&2 and PS:T, good games but never sold more than to make ends meet.
IWD 1 & 2 never sold more than to make ends meet I am not to sure about that Stratos. Does any one out there know for sure how many copys a game sold? Like they do with records. I thought those games sold very well.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #19
Stratos
Vampire

Yeah, well they probably sold more than to make the ends meet. What I was meaning to say is that they didn't become smash hits. That's what I've heard but I could have gotten it all wrong.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:44 AM   #20
uss
20th Level Warrior

I also heard that IWD and it's sequel didn't make as much as BIS hoped for.

Ah well, If a game is a smash hit, it aint always bad, and the other way round too. PLANESCAPE: TORMENT is a fine example.