Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2003, 08:38 PM   #11
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

probably xbox, unless you got something against microsoft.

since PS3 will be coming out in 2 or 3 years in future. would you still be buying PS2?

gamecube, you'll notice you'll be browsing a lot of kiddies title.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
gamecube, you'll notice you'll be browsing a lot of kiddies title.
That's true. Many of Nintendo's games (even though they are very good!) are mainly "kiddy" games.

TL, IMO, the PS2 would be the best bet. It has a few (good) Star Wars games, it has lots of FPS's, you can play PSone games on it and Syphon Filter 3 is coming out soon.

Also, the company Rare (creators of Goldneye, Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie) has been bought by Xbox. So none of the sequels of these great games will be on Gamecube

[ 04-21-2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 04-21-2003, 10:44 PM   #13
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I know many of you don't watch the stock market but Game Cube sales were down 70% below the projected sales in the past 6 months and Nintendo may sell out and or discontinue the Game Cube alltogether so for now don't buy Game Cube.
My son has all three consoles and the play station has by far the most games it is something like 5 to 1 over everone else. I have played games on all three and X-box seems to be the best with graphics but Play Station does run a close second and Play Station seams much more Durrable with many many different controllers and joy sticks where X-Box only has three or four total.

My advice to you is go to the software stores in your area and try the different concoles and then check all the games that each game has and read the catalogs and see what game are out there that interest you. Many of the new games can be found for all three consoles but check the older games from the past 3 to 4 years up to today and then deside.
One more thing PS-2 and X-Box have the best FPS thay are more realistic and farther away from the cartoon type games like the new Zelda game that came out for Game Cube last week. I watch my son play Zelda and it's an action Cartoon with what seems like a little Kid warrior spending most of the time chopping Brush and Trees and running around in circles yelling and grunting, to each his own I guess. I like FPS and CRPG like BG-II and Morrowind but when I played the PS-2 game Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance it was like playing Neverwinter Nights and a cheep version at that. But there are other FPS games on PS-2 that are out of this world.

THE WORST THING ABOUT CONSOLE GAMES!!!
They run from $50.00 to $80.00 each and there are no on line patches or expansions when you buy a game for a console you get what you get.
remember you said that you go through HDD's every 12 to 18 months
and that the consoles only cost $200.00 well my son has burned out two PS-2's and in less than 26 months and is about to buy a second X-BOX after only (one) year because the HDD in the X-BOX is used so much it's starting to make funny noises and slow down but he said he only buys remanufactured units and has never spent over $85.00 on any of them, it's his money! Good Luck
Old 04-21-2003, 10:53 PM   #14
lethoso
Manshoon

gamecube has super smash brothers, given that i would think the choice is obvious....
Old 04-22-2003, 06:22 AM   #15
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
I know many of you don't watch the stock market but Game Cube sales were down 70% below the projected sales in the past 6 months and Nintendo may sell out and or discontinue the Game Cube alltogether so for now don't buy Game Cube.
I thought that was only a rumour! [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Do you really think Nintendo would actually discontinue the Gamecube?

Maybe it will end up like the Dreamcast. [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2003, 08:32 AM   #16
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
I thought that was only a rumour! [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Do you really think Nintendo would actually discontinue the Gamecube?

Maybe it will end up like the Dreamcast. [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img]
I doubt it'll end up like Dreamcast. It atleast seems very unlikely to me, as the new GameCube will be released in 2005.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:18 AM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

I seem to recall that there is a PS3 planned not to long from now. But it could be rumors as well...

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 04-22-2003, 01:11 PM   #18
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I own an Xbox and I'm pretty happy with it. You said you like FPS's and RPG's and that's exactly the type of games I like and I'm satisfied with it so logic says you would be too. The lack of games at the beginning was a problem but recently lots of great games have come out although the range admitedly isn't as good as the PS2. Here's a list of some of the best of shooters and RPG's

shooters:
Halo
Halo 2 (coming 1st quarter of 2004)
Panzer Draagon Orta (I lent this off a friend it's hard but one of Segas best games in ages!)
Serious Sam (manic fun) The sequel is rumoured to be in development for PC and Xbox
Return To Castle Wolfenstein:Tides Of War
Doom 3 (Should be out before Christmas and apparently the only console it will come out on is Xbox because others can't handle it)
Deus Ex: Invisible War (Coming soon can't wait for this one!)
Timespilters 2 (Good game but annoying control system)
Perfect Dark Zero (Coming soon)
RPG's:
Morrowind (some people love this personally I don't like it)
Fable (coming soon)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (I love this game! Nearly as good as BG on the PC)
Sudeki (Coming soon)
Shenmue II
Starwars Knights Of The Old Republic (Not out here could be out were you live)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there's good ones I've missed out. Not too many RPG's yet although alot are coming out but as you can see lots of good shooters. I think you should buy an Xbox hopefully this will help you make your decision.

[ 04-22-2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Zarr ]
Old 04-22-2003, 02:02 PM   #19
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
I was really looking forward to this PSO launch for Xbox, but since they require an online account,
WRONG

you can play PSO offline, and in a 4 player split screen mode with your freinds, but you'll never find any items or get to experience TRUE battle mode OR play Lobby Soccer, much less Challange mode (Offline challange mode awards you with NOTHING but the right to say you're a BU-EL like everyone else, an absolute waste of time) online C mode will let you get any weapon you want but with 999% power only usable when you're around level 200 or at least have a level 200 mag [img]tongue.gif[/img]

PSO is OK offline, It's fun for you and your freinds, but you msut realize it's just the same 4 levels over and over and over and no matter how far you get in you just have to start all over again if you shut it off or move up in difficulty, + your slower freinds will weigh down the party TOO much, and the Episode 2 WAS neat for like 5 minutes then it became REALLY stupid seeing as you have to do the beach then the forest then the mountainside EVERY TIME before you can get to the Gar Griffin Boss @_@

Sure you go and do it, you'll get hooked, you'll get addicted, and You'll love it... Then you'll realize that your life is in shambles and you might come back to the light or whatever, but that choice is yours

OH and Don't be a hunter!

They used to be SUPER STRONG, now Strenghte is all the have! They can't even HEAL themselves any more!

So If you do get PSO for the X box there are only 2 classes that you can play realistically:

Either: RACAST (You level up at least once every time you play)
Or: FONEWMEN (Lots and LOTS and LOTS of Magic!)

ALSO !!!! All ID Tags are WORTHLESS except PINKAL

I don't care WHAT others say

I was a PINKAL and I obtained every rare item in existance, so You can too!

Good Luck, You're gonna' need it!

[ 04-22-2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
Old 04-22-2003, 02:06 PM   #20
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My parents don't want me to have gaming consoles like that, but from what I've played on all of them, I'd say go for either Gamecube or PS2. Those seem to have the most assortment of games, and of course PS2 is also a DVD player (i dunno if the other ones are or not). Course this is just my limited experience opinion