Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-04-2001, 08:33 PM   #41
Moni

Most definitely more information on the characters status, even if it is a table with face icons & explanations of what they refer too in the manual. (I can never tell if a character is sick or diseased)
(Maybe a face hurling for being sick, lol & one all pocked up for disease?)
The skulls & crossbones for poison & chains for being paralyzed are pretty self explanatory.
Old 01-05-2001, 06:01 PM   #42
hapEgirl

- be able to have multiple teleport settings, i.e., 1 setting allowed per character w/the spell
- town portal back to 'ANY' visited town.
- compass, clock, shorter night
- multi-level map with better delineated paths (I always bump into the "hedges" at night where it looks like it is a path.)
- allow to go up levels in increments of 1, not all at once (gotta train my chars in between)
- Don't let me foolishly lose really cool items in the stores by accidentally hitting the "drop" button. Yikes!
- Allow at least one elite character class to learn Stone spells. Too many of them learn Spirit.
- some kind of AI for my characters, so that I actually have a chance to defend myself during surprise attacks or, say, approaching ManTraps.
- I'm way up in levels at this time, but I still can't manage to get in a first hit on a "temple viper", come on...
- And the BIGGEST thing: I love chars with varied skills. Last night I added a 21st skill to my list. The game kicked off my DeathStrike skill to make room. I'm sure I still have it, but I can't add points to it!
- Please give us a scrolling list for both skills and traits.

I totally love this game, though. I get about 3 hours of sleep a night anymore. Priorities, eh?
Old 01-05-2001, 07:06 PM   #43
Erad

-More undead options (paralyze more often, change monsters to zombies when they die of biting, change to werewolf etc.)
-Night(as all posts look above )
-Scrolling lists of traits & skills (i have no idea what my zenmaster has....)
-More cool-looking clothes like ninja's or assasin's
-Automap function.View from farther distance in mini-map, shortcut for it
-Town Portals plz...
-Skip speech button (thats why i play unpatched version )
-A sequel so I can take my Zennie, Val and assasins to the next phase of adventuring
-Harder monsters (its no fun when I kill Erath... in 20 hits)
-More monsters
-Better-looking monsters
-Multi-player support (wonder how would it look like, though)
-More side-quests
-ANY QUESTS!!!
-Better weapons (finding a cursed dagger -1 in cet's chest is total BS)
-More roles, more elite roles, more special roles, even more traits)
-Harder quests (the hardest in this game was killing raskalion..getting to him took me 5 hours, so when I FINALLY got to him, I incinerated him on sight.Didnt want to talk to son-of.....)
what else hmm.
Bigger world, more towns, more dungeons, more everything (let it cost 100$ more, but i want MORE )

that would be all I can think of at the moment

Erad
Old 01-05-2001, 07:17 PM   #44
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

WOW!!! This is so neat to see this thread come back to life and with such wonderful suggestions!!!

My only addition now would be that the game was as great as this board!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 04:03 PM   #45
Moni

(Just bringing it back up to he top)
Thanks Wyv
: )
Old 01-07-2001, 07:44 AM   #46
Face

Well everyone has just about said it all. But on other thing that really doesn't add to the gameplay but is neat anyways would be a character stat screen. One that shows weapon of choice, spell of choice, kills, etc. as found in other various RPGS. It's cool to see how your favorite character is doing.
Old 02-03-2001, 08:55 PM   #47
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

We've got some new players - thought they would have some great input on this subject too!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 09:29 AM   #48
Barbara
Welcomed New User

I feel it would have been nice if you did not have to walk a few steps pause and swivel left then right to "fill in the map".

a nice little "extra" would be that when you purchased your game, it came with some character sheets, or 1 sheet that could be photocopied.and a spell sheet for any magic users. not too much of a big deal since i make my own anyhow, but the customers would have been delited to find it.

I would really have liked for the game to pause while you studied the maps.

I will leave it at that unless I think of something not previously said.

I STILL enjoyed the game very much!
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 02:34 PM   #49
alzagor

I kept pushing for some gloss ideas that I would have loved to see in any game. But I don't think WW got the time to polish and add those items. Here's a clip from one of my discussion docs (right after the comment on how to control the hair length ... yes, we had different hair lengths in the game (at that time)):

------------------------
If putting in the 3D head is a good idea, why not give a 3D preview of the race you might select? Be able to view WHAT the cool race is before selecting it. Somewhere in the game, be it IN the game or a utility outside of it, there needs to be a place to simply view your character. Rotating or animated or zooming in and out, with full control over clothing & weapon options. People always love looking at their character they've pour hours into developing. Awhile back, someone actually mentioned a desire for this on one of the message boards.

Taking that idea further, I came up with something a year ago that would certainly promote and prolong the interest in the game. Make the game spit out "Trading Tiles" -- this is a virtual 2-sided "card" that has the 3D model of the PC on one side. The other side sports the portrait as well as basic stats (level, abilities, race, etc.) Plus, it would have a small area where the player can put in the background of their character. There is no place in the game where the player can actually flesh out their character with background material. Who were its parents? Where did he grow up? Does he like killing pixies or does he prefer helping stranded trolls?

This leads into the question of what to do with multiplayers? As a player I want to know immediately who I'm dealing with (is he a high level character? an evil character?) Players need to be able to view the basic stats of other people his IS playing with or PLAN to play with. But, I wouldn't want others to know what equipment I have or what spells and skills I know! So, in addition to the "Trading Tile" solving this problem, it also promotes heavy internet/community activity. You could send your "tile" (be it a small *.DAT or encripted *.TXT file) through email or websites or to your friends, without having to LOAD up a whole session and join just to say "look how cool he is". Fan sites would pop up with "WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE" sections or "MOST VALUABLE TEAMPLAYER" areas. You could collect "Tiles" from all the people you've played with (mind you they'd be static/old versions, but still it acts sorta of like trophies). There'd be a huge wealth of character background & history you could gather).
------------------------

Here's one of the prototypes:
http://www.darkslayers.com/deep6/Swords-player-card.jpg

Another idea which would have relatively simple, but help add some basic multiplayer options was housing for your character(s):

-------------------------

PURCHASING HOUSES

A few weeks ago on the internet, some asked if the game was going to feature any economics or housing like Daggerfall did. I think economics is out of the scope of the game, but I got to thinking about housing. A lot of RPGS now have the option of purchasing a house to dump your extra gear and money that you don't want to lug around.

The 3rd Town AVI has several unused buildings. We could make those buildings available to players, if the want to spend the money. A simple BSP interior could be made, with the option of purchasing/placing tables, chairs, etc. (or it could just come furnished and the player could decided where to "push" the furniture around. Or, while each of those empty stone buildings would have the same interior, maybe they each have a different selection of furiture models to push around.)

We wouldn't have to worry about crowding up, either. There can only be a maximum of 6 players in one session at any time, so when you click on one of the houses, the game would check to see if more than one player has a character in that home (ie. Joe from Michigan has Conan in house #2, so does Jim from Iowa, who has Piper living there in his version of the game). If more than one exists, then a small requester pops up asking which "apartment" (?) the person wants to visit.

This begs a small question of how RESTRICTED players are going to be in a true multiplayer environment. While it's good for game balance to keep EVERY player on the same dungeon, people will get frustrated when they can't separate and go back to town real quick for something. DIABLO allows this, and since players are working on separate machines, shouldn't this be possible? Sure, this wouldn't be possible in a single player game, but all the better for promoting multiplayer features. Conan might want to explore the Crypt, while Piper wants to test the waters at Nymph Lake.

Getting back to the house idea, it'd be real interesting to see what happens when Piper really finds out Conan is breaking into Piper's house to steal his gold!
----------------------------

There were more ideas and suggestions but I wouldn't want ta bore ya

RE: Wonderful Wish List:
I like the varied monster experience depending on the time of day (maybe designed it to specific monsters, though). I hadn't realized the 3 "super" classes were only attainable at the end of the game. That does seem pretty lame!

I'm not fond of extreme teleporting though. I do hate traveling along the boring route to X Y and Z, however. A better solution to this would be a better design -- perhaps something that more fits the world like "Izod's Safe Wagon Train". That just comes down to personal preference, since I believe some spells detract from the environment... making it boil down to some campy comic book session.

Quests should have been completed once you popped into the door. Along with that, I begged for a dialogue parser -- something to just skip the mindless conversation you've heard X times already. It's great the first time, but after that... Plus, I wanted to get rid of the "..." at the end of every sentence; atleast in the journal. It comes across like the disabled friend in Malcomn in the Middle is narrating your events.

The whole issue of monsters beating you up while you were locked into your level up or simply reading your inventory was *always* there. Bugged the heck outta me. I think DWB's comment was something along the lines of "No, it'll add realism." Same arguement was used for not having a camp option to pass the night. I like the night, but not in a timed progression. Let's not forget the save/load option. Same issue ... it was originally designed to *never* have any user-saves, to promote the value of the character and really think out your upcoming battle. Woof, that would have been murder if there was no save option! In a perfect world, with a perfect game design, it might be possible to remove these options, but it'd have to be a damn fine game and well balanced.

I don't know WTF happened with ladders! Talk about frustrating! I don't think ladders were in the game by the time I left HPI.

The map thing was one thing that DWB eventually saw the light to. He wanted to make people map the areas the old pen n' paper way. It wasn't until one of the producers said "You're joking, right?" that things started to sway the other way. So while it's not perfect, just imagine if you didn't have it! heheh

For all the locker/storage comments -- check what I said above. Would the apartment/house idea have been an okay solution? Even games like Diablo 2 that give you a trunk, is still too limited. Eventually someone is going to fill up their limited "slots" no matter how many of them their are. I say give the player a place that's unlimited. Similiar to the bank ... it'd bite to only being able to carry XXX gold and not XXX,XXX gold.

I think everyone knows there *was* a compass in the game. Two versions in fact. A fixed one and one you could slide around and put anywhere on the screen. Don't know why that was removed. I guess b/c the automap had that neat little, easy-to-read red arrow.

HOTKEYs: yes! They should have definately been in there. It took awhile to even get the keyboard shortcuts in there, but atleast they made it. I think the weird situation here is that people don't understand where DWB is coming from and his vision of things. If you look at where his biggest successes are, you'll realize the way he approached this game: like an 80's DOS game. Which was a good way to break out of the current mindset at the time of development, but since most of the people at HPI were newcomers, we initially always thought he must know something more than we did, and that's why our obvious suggestions for hotkeys, automaps and camp options were turned down. I think he was trying to be too self-sufficient or something along those lines. If there's another game, I think he'll be more willing to listen to other people's suggestions; but it's too bad that it took 4 years and an almost-great game to get to that point.

As to the graphics/visuals -- you have to remember this game was spec'd out over 5 years ago and principle graphics (ie, models, interface, items) were finished roughly sometime in 199?), which was somewhere around the era of Quake and Tombraider. I don't believe 3D accelerated graphics were even a consideration at the start up time; there's even a "low-rez" option (lower than the 640x480 version) of the game somewhere in the code. At the time, the graphics were above the rest of the industry. That's why HPI was asked to do the graphics for Nox and Unreal 2. They of course look dated now.

Skills: There was suppose to be a limit to the skills you have, so there were no "disappearing skills". As it stands now, there are no limits. A simple scroll bar in there to see the hidden skills would fix that problem.

If I ever get around to it, I should post some screenshots from the various levels that didn't make it into the game

Cheers,
alz
Old 02-05-2001, 03:16 PM   #50
maxpower

One thought I had about being able to safely keep items you want was to be able to use the treasure chests that are around. After you theif has unlocked them he should have a "relock" button as well with maybe a booby trap option as well. So to say he could reseal the lock on the treasure chest to hes lockpicking skill and booby trap it to hes present magic level, so therefore as the game goes on the safer things are..etc etc. This way some of the over ground chests could be picked up and moved near to the town of your choice and placed where you want them, then you could add items that you want but can't lug around all the time, and then lock the treasure chests. The chests that you have claimed could also show up as a new color when using "spirit eye" as well, this would give you the option to use chests in dungeons and then return later to get your loot, making it easy to find your treasure chests.

I would imagine this could be easly incorporated into the game seeing as the chests are already there and can already be moved. This could be used along side the house idea to save having to run back to town so often just to sell goods/booty..etc.