Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2001, 12:52 PM   #1
Gilidarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sept 11 ---> Approx 6000 white Americans die in WTC incident. Response = War

Everyday ---> Approx 32000 black African Children die of starvation. Response = Nothing.

Pathetic
Gilidarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 01:08 PM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Now, if I have been misinformed, I apologize. However, the situation as I understood it is this:

America along with other countries have repeatedly (and continue to) sent aid to suffering African nations. A few years ago, I was involved with some of the missionaries in the church I attended. They were on their way to Africa to help. They sent back sad word that most of the food we send rots in storehouses because the African government won't distribute it. I don't remember the reasons behind why they were letting the food rot while people starved, but it wasn't lack of reaction or actions from other countries.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
DragonMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 01:10 PM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilidarius:
this is an immdeiate threat that needs to be dealt with swiftly. emergency

Quote:

Everyday ---> Approx 32000 black African Children die of starvation. Response = Nothing.
this is a long term problem is dealt with by long term solutions, sometimes the solutions seem to be undetectable, but they are at work, I am sure.

you do not see it working RIGHT NOW doesnt mean it is not working

Quote:

pathetic
... nope

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 10-11-2001).]
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 01:30 PM   #4
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
This is not a true statement! Of the 6000 dead there were people from a multitude of races and nationalities. This was also an act of war, so the response is adequate.

Quote:
As Dragonmage stated, the western world sends aid in the form of food, medical treatment, and money to countries in Africa. As she also pointed out, most of the time this aid is mistreated by the government and is never used for it's intended purposes.

Also like 250 stated, this is a long-term problem, not one that is going to be changed over night. There are many problems and agendas that must be addressed before a plausible solution can/will be found. And if I am not mistaken, a very high percentage of these children die from AIDS. I don't know what we can do about that as 1)We don't have a vaccine or cure and 2)We cannot stop the adults with AIDS from having more children b/c that would raise many human rights and religious issues!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 01:41 PM   #5
Haladar
Dungeon Master

Quote from Moridin's Post:
"This is not a true statement! Of the 6000 dead there were people from a multitude of races and nationalities. This was also an act of war, so the response is adequate".

This is totally true. 800 out of the 6000 were British. There were also a fair number of other Europeans and Asians.

---------------
Haladar

Haladar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 02:28 PM   #6
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I think a long term oppressive corrupted central government has contributed to the country not being able to move past a primarily "Tribal" stage of society. The result is little or no infrastructure, no scientific or technological advancement, no education, widespread ignorance and barbarism, etc. I don't know what to say. You will have to convince the people to move to a new way of life and that's not easy. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him to fish and he can eat for the rest of his life. The problem is teaching fishing to one who does't necessarily want to learn it.

------------------

Member of ORT
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Sir Kenyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 04:36 PM   #7
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
As Dragonmage stated, the western world sends aid in the form of food, medical treatment, and money to countries in Africa. As she also pointed out, most of the time this aid is mistreated by the government and is never used for it's intended purposes.

Also like 250 stated, this is a long-term problem, not one that is going to be changed over night. There are many problems and agendas that must be addressed before a plausible solution can/will be found. And if I am not mistaken, a very high percentage of these children die from AIDS. I don't know what we can do about that as 1)We don't have a vaccine or cure and 2)We cannot stop the adults with AIDS from having more children b/c that would raise many human rights and religious issues!

Now I Know You and Dragonmage are yanking my chain everbody knows that Its all the USA's fault. Are you two trying to provoke a scrap with ME?

(before anyone freaks it's sarcasm)

------------------
Crustiest of the OLD COOTS
Airline ticket to Afghanistan $800
High powered rifle with scope $1000
Hotel room with roof access $100
A clean Head shot on that sack of Horse Manure Usuma Bin Laden PRICELESS!
John D Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 06:45 PM   #8
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
[B] Everyday ---> Approx 32000 black African Children die of starvation. Response = Nothing.

this is a long term problem is dealt with by long term solutions, sometimes the solutions seem to be undetectable, but they are at work, I am sure.

you do not see it working RIGHT NOW doesnt mean it is not working

[B]
Actually, it DOES mean it's not working, 250.

(and this isn't about aid, DragonMage, not really, although aid is required right now of course. But it's only ever a short term solution, a band aid trying to do the work of healthy limbs. There are many potential solutions to world poverty, - I wont go into them here. EDIT: Sorry, that was a bit of an overstatement on my part! There are a lot of theories, and some practice, on a small scale, is what I should have said. A lot of the practice involves producing local to sell local, and only exporting surplus (cash crops, artifacts and so forth, once local people are FED.)

But anyway, back to the topic in hand......

the gap between rich and poor has widened considerably over the past thirty years. Here's an extract from something I wrote for Fair Trade Fortnight a short while back, with figures supplied from various sources, including Friends of the Earth and the World Development Movement. Global liberalisation of trade isn't the answer either...

'As free trade with developing countries increases, the gap between the world's rich and poor is widening, rather than closing. Let's take a look at some facts. For starters, as you read this, over one and a quarter billion people are currently living on less than a dollar a day. In Africa, consumption is twenty per cent lower than in 1980. Basic human needs - such as adequate nutrition and literacy - are still not being met.

As global trade expanded between 1975 and 1997, the average wealth per person in the world's thirty one richest countries increased, yet in thirty one (mostly poor) countries it declined. In 1960, the twenty per cent of the world's population living in the richest countries were thirty times richer than the poorest twenty per cent. By 1997, they were seventy four times richer. The United Nations has acknowledged the link between globalisation and increasing inequality.

Profits versus people
For this shocking and unequal state of affairs, many are blaming a global trading system which they see as being regulated in favour of large transnational firms who are concerned with profits to the exclusion of producers' needs, and who appear largely indifferent to the impact of large scale production methods on the environment.'

Working - yeah right. There's none so blind as those who can't be bothered to see.

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati

[This message has been edited by Silver Cheetah (edited 10-11-2001).]
Silver Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 06:46 PM   #9
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Now, if I have been misinformed, I apologize. However, the situation as I understood it is this:

I don't remember the reasons behind why they were letting the food rot while people starved, but it wasn't lack of reaction or actions from other countries.

DragonMage, hiya!! . See my response to 250, as you might find it relevant here.

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Silver Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:13 AM   #10
Gilidarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Give me a break.

While many Americans are giving aid to Africa it is not enough. If even half of the effort and money that has gone into this campaign against terrorism it would go a long way to solving the problems of Africa.

Also if you think Africa is "tribal" you have another thing coming. You obviously have not been to Africa or you would know that not to be true. Kenya and South Africa for instance have extremly urbanized cultures which reflect the level of Westernization in these countries. Sendng AID to the starving children of Africa is a one night response and not a cure. Also I might add that I have the deepest sympathy for those affected by this tradegy. My thoughts go out to the families in despair.
Gilidarius is offline   Reply With Quote