Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-09-2001, 04:50 PM   #11
Moiraine
Anubis

So true Absynthe ...

I've been very often on the verge of posting in 'serious' threads many times these days, and almost always didn't dare ... kept myself posting now and then a little Hi just to say I'm still here ...

On the other hand, poeple have the right to post what they want, as long as it is not insulting or hurtful, or more generally breaking the IW rules, and I don't feel I have any right to censorship ...

I don't know ... maybe the Board has changed, new members and all, and so be it ...

Quoting a dear British guy "Sit and watch ..."

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 10-09-2001, 05:06 PM   #12
Absynthe

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I would like to clarify: I'm not against change, as change is an inevitable and often welcome part of life. My concern is that the changes we've seen, and continue to see, might become the norm. I would hope that, when things have stabilised a bit, we might swing back towards a more balanced exchange. What got me thinking about this in the first place was a quote I read. "If you don't watch where you're going, you'll end up where you're headed." May seem a bit obvious, but I thought it spoke well towards making an intentional community such as IW.

Perversion is the true spice of life: variety is just part of a healthy diet.

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 05:11 PM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Well, it's just that IW is simply just not the same without Rudy, Wah and others posting humorous things, the board is simply too serious now, it's not the fun and entertaining place it used to be.
First of all- NEB! If you want the fun stuff, post it! We can't always depend on some old timer to do it, now can we?!

Second, thanks, Absynthe, I've been seeing that trend too. Seems some folks will post five or six ULTRA-serious threads and maybe one fun one.. maybe we just need to find our balance again. As Mouse points out, people come and go and I know for a fact that some of those missing have personal, rl reasons.

Is the board dying.. no, I don't think so. Is it just going through a phase, yes, I would say so. Will it cycle back? Most likely!

If a fun thread is started, everyone needs to support it or it free-falls. Same for the serious ones. Right now, it would seem that more people or more accurately those who are prolific posters, are keeping the ultra-serious threads afloat. I'm sure it will change- things really do go in cycles on the board.

Ironworks is a community and we are an active one. It's to be expected that we can't be all things to all people but every member has the right to post and to state an opinion. So if some of us WANT fun, we need to make it!

Cloudy, plotting to have some fun again!

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-09-2001, 05:15 PM   #14
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
First of all- NEB! If you want the fun stuff, post it! We can't always depend on some old timer to do it, now can we?!

Oh, I'd be happy to post something funny, but I just don't have the same skill as Rudy or Wah, in fact, I don't have any skill at all, and I'm not just looking for fun stuff, I'm looking for social threads too, where a
non-controversial question is asked, like: "What color should I paint my bedroom?" or "How do I breed slugs most efficiently?" and everyone contributes and it has jokes here and there, something else that bothers me is that I'm AFRAID to post jokes on any of the threads, because everyone's emotions are so high-strung and I don't want to hurt anybody or something.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:17 PM   #15
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Feel free to start up whatever type of thread you would like. That's all it takes. Nobody makes people post any particular type of thread. If people are posting in a certain way, it is because that is what they are interested in.

Personally, I would not be here at all if not for the serious discussions.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:18 PM   #16
Moiraine
Anubis

Clouddy, Clouddy, I would not have dared posted what I did above if I didn't talk with several other IW members who do feel the same as Absynthe does, and even give thoughts about just moving away silently.

So it's not just him, it's not just me, if many people feel that way, then there is something that must be done. What, I dunno. Sorry to disagree, but you can't suppress an uneasyness just by saying it doesn't have any ground.

Or maybe you are right, why bother ? There are enough IW members here without us to make IW just fine.

------------------

The world is my oyster !

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 05:20 PM   #17
tracey
Manshoon

one of the nice things about the forum is that we are all from different backgrounds and countries with the inevitable cross cultural exchange that happens with that.

current events dictate that people discuss them - either with passion or an intellectual interest. i think this is incredibly healthy and far more interesting than chatting about wood (although, doubtless there is a place for all topics) the mere fact that more people are desirous of debating 'bigger' issues, is surely an incrediblely flattering to the forum and those on it. we have brains and we enjoy using them. here, we all get the opportunity to mix up ideas and notions on a pan european/usa etc level. amazing! so. although you may not like the changes at the moment. they are inevitable. besides, it certainly makes us all better and more tolerante people b#simply because we tend to disagree so often and so loudly. i saw 'hats off' to the forum. hip, hip, hurrah.

yes, we can all chat down the pub, but where else can you get your tuppence worth in without being interupted, hmmmmmmmm?

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati
Old 10-09-2001, 05:21 PM   #18
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Clouddy, Clouddy, I would not have dared posted what I did above if I didn't talk with several other IW members who do feel the same as Absynthe does, and even give thoughts about just moving away silently.

So it's not just him, it's not just me, if many people feel that way, then there is something that must be done. What, I dunno. Sorry to disagree, but you can't suppress an uneasyness just by saying it doesn't have any ground.

Or maybe you are right, why bother ? There are enough IW members here without us to make IW just fine.

Um, not to be flippant, but perhaps you could try starting the type of thread you want?
Old 10-09-2001, 05:23 PM   #19
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I think I'll give IW a month or two to recover the mood and atmosphere that made me love this place, if it dosen't, then this is not a place I can be happy and I shall leave.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:24 PM   #20
tracey
Manshoon

p.s we do teasing and poking fun and sympathising and laughing. it's not quite the same as meeting friends and going out to dinner etc., but it's still getting to know people and when was that ever a completely painless affair.

we don't come to the forum as 'perfect' beings, we come here as a collection of disparate people who are sometimes angry, happy, joyful, despondant, miserable, etc., so. sit back and watch the people. it's fun.

(and the really good thing is they can't do spiteful pinching when they're annoyed)