Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-21-2001, 02:00 AM   #21
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Yeah....and it is kinda weird too....blade uses swords....clerics cannot use edge weapons.....

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-21-2001, 09:17 AM   #22
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Desuma...I'm confused as to how you can backstab with a Quarterstaff. I've tried it with Nalia (Mage/Thief) and the Staff of the Magi. I get an error saying something like, "Invalid weapon type for backstab" or something similar. Do you have the BG2 patch installed? Maybe that's a bug that got fixed with the patch?

Anyhow...Avenger...I wouldn't waste my time on a Cleric/Thief combo as there are plenty of thieves in the game. Viconia is a good Cleric (if you can tolerate her evil alignment and crappy strength), and Anomen can become a pretty good Cleric. If you want to play a Cleric class though, I'd go with either Berserker/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric. Berserkers get some good bonuses with their rage capability (immune to imprisonment, charm, hold, etc.) and a fighter's THAC0. Ranger/Clerics also get a good THAC0 *and* they have access to all Druid spells as well as all Cleric spells. That means your Cleric can use Ironskins, Insect Swarm (best anti-spellcaster spell in the game) and summon Fire Elemental. Just my HO.

------------------
The only good giant is a dead giant!
---Throntar the Battlerager---
Old 03-21-2001, 11:02 AM   #23
Jimbo
The Magister

Desuma_Malevois, how are you able to do this? I have used war hammers alot with my fighter/thief, and I will get the message that its not the right backstab weapon when i forget to take the hammers out.

IMHO, thief should be able to stun an opponet from behind using blunt weapons, especially one like a black-jack or baton. That would be a nice addition, some DM would alow the blut rule, and we also had various non-leathly posion (ether on a rag and down they go).

Could be a bug that let you do it, but I can't get my fighter/thief to backstab with a blunt.

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 03-21-2001, 09:57 PM   #24
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
Desuma...I'm confused as to how you can backstab with a Quarterstaff. I've tried it with Nalia (Mage/Thief) and the Staff of the Magi. I get an error saying something like, "Invalid weapon type for backstab" or something similar. Do you have the BG2 patch installed? Maybe that's a bug that got fixed with the patch?

Anyhow...Avenger...I wouldn't waste my time on a Cleric/Thief combo as there are plenty of thieves in the game. Viconia is a good Cleric (if you can tolerate her evil alignment and crappy strength), and Anomen can become a pretty good Cleric. If you want to play a Cleric class though, I'd go with either Berserker/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric. Berserkers get some good bonuses with their rage capability (immune to imprisonment, charm, hold, etc.) and a fighter's THAC0. Ranger/Clerics also get a good THAC0 *and* they have access to all Druid spells as well as all Cleric spells. That means your Cleric can use Ironskins, Insect Swarm (best anti-spellcaster spell in the game) and summon Fire Elemental. Just my HO.

Yes, I have the patched installed, but just possibly Nalia's backstab didn't work because the staff of the magi is only usable by magic-users. Try it with a regular staff and see if it works for you.

I chose the cleric/thief combo because I wanted to try something a little unusual and I loooooove to backstab; also, I like the idea of my character "powering up" with DUHM or Righteous Magic before getting off his backstab.

Old 03-21-2001, 10:01 PM   #25
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo:
Desuma_Malevois, how are you able to do this? I have used war hammers alot with my fighter/thief, and I will get the message that its not the right backstab weapon when i forget to take the hammers out.

The reason is that war hammers aren't usable by thieves. Try it with a club or quarterstaff and it should work.