Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

This is kind of a two part question.

Number one: Is jewelry always a good gift? Or do you get tired of it after a while? I find that for me, picking out good looking jewelry is much easier for me than clothes. I am also real good at ferreting out good deals on them, so I can come up with a great gift on an otherwise limited budget.

Number two: This kind of stems from number one. Because I pay wholesale prices on the stuff my girlfriend probably thinks I'm spending a lot more than I am. She spent an awful lot on my son and I for Xmas. I let her have her present early, so I think that might have had something to do with it. I felt a bit guilty. Do you think she'd be mad if she found out? I'm going to get her a nice Valentines day present to help assuage my guilt.

She loves amethysts. I got her a pair of amethyst stud earrings and an amythst tennis bracelet. I also gave her a pair of emerald stud earrings. I gave her an amythyst solitaire pendant/necklace for her birthday in November. This is a picture of the one I want to get her for Valentines day.

What do you think?
Old 12-27-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] NICE! In response to your question, I do not think women get tired of jewelry, BUT... I think your tase must match theirs or it's a lot of [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] to waste. I let my wife do the choosing for herself. I got her a pearl ring with diamonds set on each side for our first anniversary - however, it was only on her suggestion. Even knowing that her favorite jewels are diamonds and pearls, I am still hesitant to pick one without her input, as she is rather picky.

As for the price - well, if the jewelry's nice she needs to have a receipt to prove the declared value for insurance purposes, so she'll know how much you paid. There's nothing wrong with this, IMHO. The aforementioned ring I got my wife for our anniversary was bought at a store closing in downtown chicago at a 60% discount. Which is exactly why she, a frugal penny-pincher, wanted it to begin with.

[edit: Oooopsie, I'm not a girl. I am allowed to reply though, right? [img]graemlins/readingbook.gif[/img] ]

[ 12-27-2002, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 12-27-2002, 07:00 PM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I had my wife, the beauteous Galadria, and she said, "Only if they have good taste and know what the woman likes. I have jewelery that I never wear, and jewelery that I wear all of the time. Also, the man should take into account the kind of places they go. Flashy jewelery is not good for someone who never goes to dressy parties or fancy restaurants."
Old 12-27-2002, 07:47 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Sir Kenyth, each woman is different, some like jewelry more than others. So I can only speak for myself here.. For me LOL, jewelry is always good! LOL! Go Kenyth! Go Kenyth! Get that Jewelry! Get that Jewelry! As for your second question, same as above, can only speak for myself, and how much that is spent isn't the important thing for me, and I never "compare" who spends more than who at Christmas. And you have Valentine's Day already in mind, that gives you extra points right there LOL! Oh, and that amethyst bracelet is a beauty!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 12-27-2002, 07:48 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Sure if you know what sort of thing she likes and is likely to wear, it's great!

Personally I don't wear a lot of jewellery myself, but the bloke I'm seeing bought me a Roman brooch (toga pin) for Christmas. He'd had it re-pinned cos the original pin was iron and rusted away so I can wear it. It's very simple, small and plain and he knew I'd love it even tho I don't tend to wear jewellery much.

It's knowing the person you're buying for that is important.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
It's definitely important that she likes the same sort of jewelry you do. Jewelry's a very personal thing, I know from looking in catalogues and shopping for various jewelry that there is a LOT of stuff out there I wouldn't be caught dead in, most of it a lot more expensive than the styles I usually favour as well. So I think if you're buying her jewelry often (as in, most of the presents you give her are jewelry) better make sure she wears the stuff you've already buoght her .

Is jewlery always a good gift? Maybe. If that's the only thing you ever give her she might start to think you can't be bothered to think of anything else, even if it's really nice or expensive. Like maybe that you don't really know her interests and what she'd really like so you get the default present of jewelry. But it usually should go down well
Old 12-27-2002, 11:39 PM   #7
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

I know that I don't do this, but I just have to. Aelia, hi, luv ya, sweetie. Epona, a Roman Brooch? Ooh, I can tell he knows whqat you'd like. Sorry, that bracelet is WAY too flashy for me. Damn Attalus, he wouldn't post this! But, Sir K., that doesn't mean that your girl won't love it. I'm picky, is all. (Smooches, then leaves for months) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 12-27-2002, 11:41 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Well, I'm not a girl, but I figured I'll throw my two penneth in as it were.

Jewelry is a good gift, if you mean it. Every piece of jewelry you give your girlfriend should mean something. It should be given because you want to, not because you feel you have to. A well thought out piece of jewelry will go a long way in making your love know just how much you love her.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:31 AM   #9
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

I'm one of the few oddballs that doesn't much care for jewelry. It's pretty, but I just don't like to wear any, although I do like to make jewelry. All my aunts, mom and grandma think I'm nuts, because they are all crazy about jewelry, but they all like different styles.
As with any gift, you have to know what the other person likes, to know what to get. And with jewelry, you have to know if the person you're getting it for is allergic to any metals.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:39 PM   #10
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Just to clear the confusion. The pic I posted is of the necklace I was considering for V-day. The bracelet I bought her was a tennis bracelet. She wears everything I have bought so far that has amethyst stones on a daily basis. It's hard to buy clothes for her. Her mom still buys tons for her as she is an only child. Can you say "spoiled"?