Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2001, 09:13 AM   #1
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

The game needs directx 7a. Is that a different version than the "plain" directx 7 one without the "a"
I installed directx 7 from the game-cd but when I run the diagnose program (DxDiag.exe) I can't see the letter "a" anywhere.
It just says that I have directx 7 installed on my system.

So if there is a difference, how can I get my hands on the 7a version? The link I saw in this forum a while ago only seems to link me to directx 8 downloads.
If there is no difference between the 2....eer....then forget about it

Snoekie
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 09:15 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Snoekie -

I'll push up the thread you mean - it was about removing directx 8 which seems to cause problems but it might also include the info you need!

Watch for it!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 09:41 AM   #3
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the bump Wyvern but it doesn't contain the info I need
The tip from Saz was great by the way! Yesterday I already got rid of directx 8 with that util and installed directx 7 from the game cd.
But it's about that directx 7 I need some info. I am not sure how I can tell if it's the 7a version or just the 7 version.
IF there is a difference at all, you never know with microsuck

I'm kinda hoping that I might get the game working on my own pc with some other version of directx. Who knows it might work

Snoekie

[This message has been edited by Snoekie (edited 05-17-2001).]
Old 05-17-2001, 09:53 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Checking over on ZDnet for you -

We'll find it somewhere!

Wyv
Old 05-17-2001, 09:56 AM   #5
Xignal
Drizzt Do'Urden

This Microsoft article displays the files you should see when running dxdiag on a 7.0a installation. Hope it helps.

Rick

Xignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 09:59 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

STILL FERRETING:

Enclosed a quote from over on the ZDnet help section - will be looking for an appropriate link (if I find one ) to follow this:

>My sound card doesn't work with DirectX and keeps crashing my games. What can >I do?
>ZDTV

>I have DirectX and Win98. My sound card is no longer certified under DirectX, >and my games keep crashing. What should I do?

>ANSWER:
>Many installations of DirectX, including the one that Windows 98 does, >will "upgrade" your sound card's drivers. Sometimes this messes up your sound >card because you get generic drivers that the installation thinks you need. >All you have to do is go to the card manufacturer's website and download the >right drivers. If the manufacturer doesn't have a Windows 98 driver yet, don't >worry too much; the Win95 driver should work.

>Here's a tip if you're upgrading DirectX and want to avoid the driver problem: >Download the core distribution. The core distribution has no display or audio >drivers. If you know that you have the latest display and audio drivers >already, download dx5core.exe from the Microsoft site. The file is near the >bottom of the DirectX download page.

http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/te...?Utext=directx

Not sure that this helps - Saz would probably have a better idea than I.
The game really should have provided the correct version, whether or not your machine "sees the "a"".
Wyv

[This message has been edited by Wyvern (edited 05-17-2001).]
Old 05-17-2001, 10:07 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Check here too:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/1...x&cn=&ca=10001

Looked like a better search result than that on ZDnet - actually saw a file mentioning directx 7a

Wyv
Old 05-17-2001, 10:22 AM   #8
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

Thanks again for the help
I seem to have directx 7a installed properly. Eventhough the "a" is never displayed anywere, by looking at that chart from MS I could determine the version. (thx for the link Xignal!)
Ok, I ruled the directx problem out for sure. Now I'm thinking about messing with my Geforce drivers, hehe.

There are Geforce 2 MX owners out there who DID got the game working right?
Yeah, didn't Sazerac have one too?
Hmmm, perhaps changing them drivers could do the trick....*thinks* *ponders*
Better get some info first on what drivers Saz uses.
I use the Nvidia reference drivers (version 6.50) officially that's the latest from Nvidia but there are other ones out there.

Ah well, first a little playtime in Gael Serran on my gf's comp
I think I'll have to "persuade" her to change comps with me

Snoekie