Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-10-2002, 11:24 PM   #21
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

I would disagree quite soundedly with this statement. While most people do have leanings to either liberal or conservative, good or evil, blah or bleh, you can't ever qualify a person squarely in any of these categories. Minds/priorities change, new ideas are presented, and since people are capable of free thought (for now) they can take things from both sides and become someone unique, just like everyone else!
Old 11-11-2002, 08:53 AM   #22
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
I would disagree quite soundedly with this statement. While most people do have leanings to either liberal or conservative, good or evil, blah or bleh, you can't ever qualify a person squarely in any of these categories. Minds/priorities change, new ideas are presented, and since people are capable of free thought (for now) they can take things from both sides and become someone unique, just like everyone else!
Ohhh I don't know about that, I am pretty certain that most people are rather sheep like. [img]smile.gif[/img] Out of 6 Billion people on the planet, I would be surprised if more than a Billion ever really do any real thinking.

This isn't to be disparaging sheep either, but it is just easier for them to get through the day and not think about things.

Old 11-11-2002, 09:10 AM   #23
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
ze.

I, myself, was 'raised' conservative. I believe in private gun ownership, punishment of criminals and that people who CAN provide for themselves - should.
Actually, DM, I believe that the archetypal "conservative" of Mr. Krauthammer's article would hail you as a sister, while the archetypal "liberal" would consider you "evil" if he or she had not met you. I agree that people are far too diverse to break sown into just two types, and I believe that Mr. Krauthammer (who won a Pulitzer Prize, btw) would agree. His poit is that is how the two sides regard one another, rather than how much truth there is in the statement.
BTW, I was "raised liberal," and regarded myself as a democrat until I was 12. Then, I read an article in which two people, one liberal, one conservative, explained their point of view. I first read the liberal one, fully expecting to agree with it, and was astounded to realize that I dis agreed totally. I then read the conservaative one (I believe that it was by James Kirkpatrick) and totally agreed. So, I became a conservative Republican at the age of 12, and have remained one lifelong.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:13 AM   #24
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I gave the article a thumbs-up for wittiness and insight. I don't think it's true of people, though. It may be true of the political charicatures that are politicians and the parties - but not of folks-on-the-street.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:37 AM   #25
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I gave the article a thumbs-up for wittiness and insight. I don't think it's true of people, though. It may be true of the political charicatures that are politicians and the parties - but not of folks-on-the-street.
Exactly, you have to apply it to a group not to a person.

Old 11-11-2002, 02:59 PM   #26
Gammit
Elminster

I (for a looooong time) always thought of the liberals as the highly educated individuals with little common sense, and conservatives as the very sensible yet less-educated. Then I became more moderate (for now?).
Old 11-11-2002, 03:05 PM   #27
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Question Mark

The one dishonest thing about the article is it goes a long way to de-demonize the conservative, but still accepts wholesale the equally silly argument that liberals are stupid. The writer fits the mold he details precisely.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:43 PM   #28
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
The one dishonest thing about the article is it goes a long way to de-demonize the conservative, but still accepts wholesale the equally silly argument that liberals are stupid. The writer fits the mold he details precisely.
LoL [img]smile.gif[/img]