Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #51
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
If you start a thread supporting giving charity to Africa, don't be surprised that those who oppose giving such charity post what they think about the topic.
It's not a thread about giving to charity, but a highlighting a business that sells products.

And what person would oppose OTHERS giving to charity any case?
I you're opposed, stay out. If you do post, what do you hope to gain? That you might convince others not to give? Why would you do that? Why not hop on a plane to Africa and go and take the food and medicine of a starving, AIDS-suffering child yourself? Because that would the the effect if people were convinced by your arguments.

I'm sober now, and I just don't understand why people couldn't just leave the thread alone if they didn't agree. Let people who want to do something for others, inspire others who want to give to others without all this muckraking.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #52
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
To sit in front of your PC telling me that poverty doesn't exist in the US is the basest form of denial. As I said though, don't worry about my opinion.
Just to touch on your "Rob, your richer than you know" thing; I have what I have thanks to the charity of my mom. My bills get paid because of that charity, and I'm able to post here because of it too. If she'd decided that AID's in Africa was more important than people here, I'd be on the street, or dead, by now. I guess perspective is everything. I live on 135.00 a month in groceries, because that's all the State feels I need to survive, and I do survive.
If you're living on charity from your Mum and the govt. why begudge others iving to charity also? (or just buying stuff with their money) No ones talking about removing charity within the USA. It's not mutually excusive. Your Mum could still support you, and (presuming a red credit card is available in the USA) everytime you spend your $135 on groceries, a portion would be going towards people in greater need, greater poverty, who don't get even $135 or have a Mum who can help them out.

Make sense?

No-one's having a go at you. All I did was offer some perspective that you might actually have more than you realise, and that others just might be worse off, and that we can all do something very little, to help other people.

But if you don't feel you can, then don't! It's that simple.

Furthermore, those of us who support charities and aid to Africa, more than likely support social policies that would help you survive easier. So you're attacking allies Robert. We're not your enemy.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #53
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Anyway sorry about my drunken rants last night.

I had a great night! Spent it with family both near and afar. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #54
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I see that Armani has some Red products available in some U.S. states (not VA yet). I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for Red products if they do spread out to my area. I certainly wouldn't mind helping someone else by buying a product I was going to buy anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #55
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I see that Armani has some Red products available in some U.S. states (not VA yet). I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for Red products if they do spread out to my area. I certainly wouldn't mind helping someone else by buying a product I was going to buy anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Wow. Didn't see that. That's pretty cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I designed some red converse. Although I have three pairs... I'll wait till one pair destruct before purchasing.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #56
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick, two other mods have already called for peace to return to this thread and robertthebard already bowed out as he should.

You are not doing Leonis's thread any favors in continuing the argument with somebody who did as he was asked.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #57
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Fair call. Didn't see he'd bowed out. I lost my glasses last night, so my reading is not up to speed...

Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #58
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Wow.. I'm a symbol of Moradin now.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #59
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Getting back to the essence that started this discussion...

RED's point, as I see it, is simple.

You *are* going to buy certain things on a regular basis. For your own needs, your own consumption, and so on.

If you buy them *here*, as opposed to *there*, a portion of the proceeds go to a worthy cause. You may argue about whether there are other causes more worthy, but medicine for those who can't afford it is certainly worthy.

You don't pay any more (or less) than before. Someone else in the supply chain (manufacturers, distributors, transporters, and retailers) that brought you that product has agreed to give up a bit of their profit.

In other words, you can help out others without having to do a single thing other than continue doing what you normally do.

It's a win-win-win.

You get what you need - products that you use.

The supply chain gets what it needs - products sold and profits distributed.

And the worthy cause gets what it needs - medical support.

The only ones who lose are other manufacturers and distributers who aren't willing to share their profits in this way.

I do understand the point some have made - making a profit doesn't make you bad or rotten. If you think it does, then give up your paycheck. That's right -- your paycheck represents your personal profits on the services you provide to your employer. And you don't think you make too much profit, do you?

So.... remember that profit isn't bad, and sharing your profits with others who are less fortunate is good. And by buying RED products, you can share your profits without having to sacrifice one penny's worth of your own personal pleasure and benefits.

*edit* Clarification of who said what.
Bung, awesome post! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] What I may perceive is obvious can sometimes not be. No one's fault but my own unique perception. Thank you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2006, 10:56 PM   #60
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My pleasure, Leonis. Sometimes it's easier from the outside.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote