Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2003, 01:00 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

To The Memebrs of The Forum;

I'm upgrading my digital hobby and am going to move up from the ol' Adobe Photodeluxe V.4 to PhotoShop 7.
Of all of you that have working knowledge and libraries, what are two of the best desk companion books out there.
I'd like just a quick overview of what you have with pros & cons.

The two I'm looking hard at ordering are;
Photoshop 7 The Complete Reference by Laurie Ann Ulrich.
Adobe Photoshop 7 One-click Wow! by Jack Davis, Linnea Dayton.

Thanks,
Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:35 AM   #2
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Gotta love that PH 7! A friend of mine has a photography studio, and I have helped him with some weddings, family reunions, and sittings. He has spent like crazy on digital cameras, hoping to free himself of having to mail off film, and have money to pay for the prints when the developer mails them. He can now pretty make much make his own prints, now that he has the ph7, and they are indistinguishable from film-shot.

I have used his ph 7, and it is one heck of a program. I would suggest checking out the tutorial(s) that it comes with - even I could use the features I needed after a few minutes, so far removed from the crappy photedeluxe 3. that came with my old hp printer, I empty the contents of my left nostril in it's general direction!

You can use the stock tutorials that come with, or you can make your own! just link the changes you wish to make by topic into your own lesson. it rocks. I'm no way a computer person, but I have ended up helping Randy get all his new gadgets to work together, like when he took his laptop and an external cdrom burner to a reunion, and couldn't make it download from the camera - HE hasn't gotten any kind of tutorial book for his ph 7, so give it a try. good luck , be curious to see how it goes.

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 06-26-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

So are there any new major features in Photoshop 7 that doesn't exist in Photoshop 6? Is there any need for me to pay an obscene amount of $ to get the latest version?
Old 06-29-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
So are there any new major features in Photoshop 7 that doesn't exist in Photoshop 6? Is there any need for me to pay an obscene amount of $ to get the latest version?
I'm not qualified to answer that Willow. I have never used PS before, only the Photodeluxe that came with my printer. I read about the Adobe elements stuff, but could not see spending that much for only half the whole package. Especially since I was able to acquire PS7 at a super saver grand opening price.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:44 PM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
I'm not qualified to answer that Willow. I have never used PS before, only the Photodeluxe that came with my printer. I read about the Adobe elements stuff, but could not see spending that much for only half the whole package. Especially since I was able to acquire PS7 at a super saver grand opening price.

Felix
I was hoping that someone would join this thread and tell me something abiout the program. I think I'll stick to Photoshop 6 though. I know how it works. Somewhat....
Old 06-29-2003, 07:00 PM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

There are some major changes in Photoshop 7 regarding 6. The engine is more stable and also alot more features are beter. You know have a file browser, and the docking is better in its working.

Apart from that, 6 and 7 are stiull abit alike but they once bloody again changed the quick commands.. :S

Well I really like the new Photoshop. It is a great program.

Unfortunately they haven't made any improvments with handling PNG files yet.

If you have Photoshop 6 for home I woulsay that it is a helluva lot of maoney to spend to get #7 for some home improvment photes. If you use it a bit more professional you will love it. The better engine really kicks in when you open and work with thoose 150 MB files! (Y)

The color signature is still a bit unstable ans is not always saved so take heed when saving files with a certain colorsetting to it that it actually is present for the file.

Don´t eat the yellow snow