Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2002, 05:12 AM   #51
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Gregory [img]smile.gif[/img] I never said that what Jeffords said was not an issue (or issues) that needed to be addressed...I railed at the fact that the very party he belongs to has been stalling every effort to address those issues all year long, in a blatant political attempt to gain seats in the up coming election. Then turn right around and blast Bush for doing the same thing about war issues...completely disregarding the fact that they are doing the exact same thing, only on an issue that effects pretty much everyone in the country rather than just the military (mostly just the military).
MagiK, why do you insist that he is a Democrat? He may, at the moment, look, smell, taste, quack, and walk like one, but nevertheless he is officially an Independent Senator.

Mark
Old 10-08-2002, 10:11 AM   #52
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
MagiK, why do you insist that he is a Democrat? He may, at the moment, look, smell, taste, quack, and walk like one, but nevertheless he is officially an Independent Senator.
Mark
umm Because I thought he was a democrat? [img]smile.gif[/img] Like I said, I can admit Im wrong about things. He is officially an Independant...but as you said, he walks and quacks just like a Dem. at the moment.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:01 AM   #53
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Magick, out of all the nasty things you said about me in this thread, the only thing in your last post I truly wish to quote is:

"I am completley against taxation that rips 48% of every dollar I make out of my pocket."

This says it all. You either don't understand the tax rate system or you are the least tax-savvy wealthy man I've ever met. Need a good tax lawyer?

While this may seem [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] I post it to challenge your understanding of what you pay and where your money goes.

I still point out that I agree with you that the WASTE in our bureaucracy is a problem. But, when I simply state it happens with military spending as well as any other spending, you balk. Does that make sense to you? You then blame outlandish prices paid for simple tools on dems again, deflecting blame and ranting. Can you cut it so black and white? If so, I certainly envy you.

Part of my every moment, at work and at play, is concerned with constant strive for efficiency. I am not going to disagree that more (or at the very least some) efficiency is needed in the government. It pisses me off, too. But you're not advocating shutting the doors of government are you? I mean, do you think they're going to give your tax dollars back?

To put it in perspective, there are interest groups at work here that you may or may not be aware of. The teachers in Chicago have been striking - first in northern burbs, then southern. Court personnel are also forming labor unions to demand better benefits. The State of Illinois, which is flat broke, sought to make up some money be decreasing benefits to court personnel (including bailiffs, docket clerks, etc, which you can bet your ass are all affirmative action jobs). The answer was simple - strike.

Do not these things tie the hands of a government that (ideally, though certainly not the case) wishes and strives to be efficient. Are there not more variables at work here than simply wasteful bureaucracy?

Just some thoughts. I don't see too much offensive material in this post, but if you deign to flame me again, and lump me with folks I don't know and perjoritize, please PM me and save yourself the embarrassment of looking petty here in public.

[ 10-08-2002, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 10-08-2002, 11:09 AM   #54
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

MagicK again:

Oh, and just to set the record straight: I've lived in a trailer too. And no, I don't need to use any euphemisms like mobile home. Upstanding, honest folks, as you suggest? As with all of life, some but not all. More likely just people struggling to make the best of their situation. I described a type of Vermonter (and we've got Vermonters here who'd flame me if they took umbrage), not a set of characteristics inherent to those who live in trailers.

If Foxworthy can speak in plain truths to all of America, I'm sure your sensibilities can take it coming from me.

"As good sociologists we make generalizations about groups not individuals." Did your willingness to stereotype me follow this maxim?
Old 10-08-2002, 11:09 AM   #55
MagiK

I only give what I get. Altho I sometimes amplify the return.