Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

This was on AOL News. Sorry, there is no link, or I would provide one.
WASHINGTON (Nov. 21) - Al-Qaida leader Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the network's chief of operations in the Persian Gulf, has been captured, senior U.S. government officials said Thursday.

Al-Nashiri, a suspected mastermind of the USS Cole bombing in October 2000, was taken in an undisclosed foreign country earlier this month and is now in U.S. custody, officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

He is the highest-ranking al-Qaida operative captured since the CIA, FBI and Pakistani authorities captured Osama bin Laden's operations chief, Abu Zubaydah, in Faisalabad, Pakistan, in March.

U.S. officials had recently said a senior al-Qaida leader had been caught, but they had declined to identify him. On Sunday, Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge said the leader was providing information to his interrogators.

Al-Nashiri is suspected in a number of other al-Qaida terrorist plots, including the 1998 East Africa embassy bombings. He is believed to have recruited his cousin, Azzam, to train in Afghanistan and serve as one of the suicide bombers in the attack on the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi. Al-Nashiri, born in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, is believed to be in his mid-30s and a longtime associate of bin Laden.

U.S. intelligence believes he was behind the Oct. 6 attack on the French tanker off the coast of Yemen that left one crewman dead, said a U.S. defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Al-Nashiri oversaw the purchase and transport of explosives, the leasing of safe houses and the planning and financing of attacks, the official said.

He has also traveled under a number of other names, including Umar Mohammed al-Harazi and Abu Bilal al-Makki. U.S. officials believe he was in Ghazni, Afghanistan, around the time the war began there in October 2001. He is thought to have moved to Pakistan when the Taliban fell, and he may have gone to Yemen in recent months. Some tribesmen in Yemen, however, said he had gone to Malaysia.

In the Cole attack, U.S. officials have said al-Nashiri gave telephone orders to the bombers from the United Arab Emirates. He then fled to Afghanistan.

In addition to the Cole attack, officials say he has been involved with a number of plots targeting the U.S. Navy in the past three years.

He is thought to be behind a nearly identical attempt to bomb another destroyer, the USS The Sullivans, nine months before the Cole attack, at Aden. That attack failed when the suicide boat, overloaded with explosives, sank.

Most recently, he has been tied to a failed al-Qaida plot to bomb U.S. and British warships crossing the Strait of Gibraltar, U.S. officials have said. In June, three Saudis were arrested in Morocco in connection with that plot.

He is also suspected of being behind plans to bomb the 5th Fleet Headquarters in Bahrain, a plot revealed in January by another top al-Qaida operative captured by Pakistan after fleeing Afghanistan.

The 5th Fleet has responsibility for the Persian Gulf and provides ships for the operations of U.S. Central Command, which is running the war effort in Afghanistan. It also supports the enforcement of the no-fly zone over southern Iraq, the U.N. economic embargo against Iraq and the monitoring of sea traffic from the Arabian Sea to the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf.

The capture of al-Nashiri is the latest reported success in the U.S. effort to capture or kill top al-Qaida chiefs. On Nov. 3, a CIA Predator drone fired a missile at a car carrying several suspected al-Qaida operatives, killing six, including al-Qaida's top Yemen operative, Qaed Salim Sinan al-Harethi, who is also suspected of involvement in the Cole plot.

11/21/02 16:18 EST
Old 11-21-2002, 05:39 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It's not the same exact post, but nevertheless, this is CNN's version of the same story...
Ugly Al Queda dude
Old 11-21-2002, 05:41 PM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
You mean you just typed all of this from memory? Or did you copy/paste it from a site that doesn't seem to have a html-friendly structure? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-21-2002, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 11-21-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
You mean you just typed all of this from memory? Or did you copy/paste it from a site that doesn't seem to have a html-friendly structure? [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]The second. It popped up on my browser and I copied and pasted it, but no URL address came onto my browser address bar. Thanks for the link, Larry. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2002, 06:06 PM   #5
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Good I hope we get all of them, and torture them for a really long time until they tell us where Bin Laden is.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:29 PM   #6
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
Good I hope we get all of them, and torture them for a really long time until they tell us where Bin Laden is.
Wise up man, there's no Bin Laden, and least not in the commonly-accepted demonized sense. But hey, gun ho! Kill 'em all!
Old 11-21-2002, 08:08 PM   #7
SirTristram
Manshoon

lol well, something positive at least