Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2003, 05:42 AM   #41
Donut
Jack Burton

Mmm. 'Freedom Letters' - I suppose that could work!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 03-13-2003, 06:14 AM   #42
Moiraine
Anubis

As Talthyr Malkaviel pointed out, I wonder if those who advocate renaming "French XXX" words will also ban all the other french words they use, like "rendez-vous" or "ŕ propos" ?

Masklinn, I believe I prefer to laugh than to cry about this ... [img]graemlins/girlsmile2.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 06:28 AM   #43
Borvik
Drow Warrior

Most of the people I know are either still lying under their tables and laughing about all this, or they'll have to visit an ophthalmologist in the next few days because of all the eye-rolling they did. (*sometimes I hardly can believe my dictionary for the words it spits out - I wonder how ophthalmologist is pronounced without causing some real severe damage to ones tongue*)
Old 03-13-2003, 06:34 AM   #44
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Borvik:
Most of the people I know are either still lying under their tables and laughing about all this, or they'll have to visit an ophthalmologist in the next few days because of all the eye-rolling they did. (*sometimes I hardly can believe my dictionary for the words it spits out - I wonder how ophthalmologist is pronounced without causing some real severe damage to ones tongue*)
Congratulations on spelling it right. Most english people miss out the first 'h' which is silent btw.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 03-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #45
Borvik
Drow Warrior

Thanks Donut [img]smile.gif[/img] . Anyway, I had to rely on what my dictionary said. Thinking of it, there are some other words, that really could need some changes or that are worth of renaming ... We could start with ophthalmologist
Old 03-13-2003, 07:36 AM   #46
Link
Jack Burton

Alpha Bravo! Rendezvous at six-o-niner! Repeat six-o-niner!

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 03-13-2003, 09:15 AM   #47
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I don't have a problem with them as a people or with their culture, just their politics.
Most americans I've met are nice enough, and with all the american TV etc we get here our culture is becoming pretty much the same as theirs as well.
So yeh I agree, their politics IS pretty messed up, but you cant hold George Bush against the whole country.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:34 AM   #48
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Well I support the symbolic protest because it makes a statement without hurting anyone. The protest isn't against the French people, it's against the French position, and while some may not care for it, this has to be less offense than burning flags, pictures, effigies, etc.

Furthermore, the guy who proposed the change is in charge of the House cafeteria committee. It's one of his jobs to approve the menu there... names and all. And yes they even have to vote on their menu, so it isn't an more of a waste of time than when they voted last week to serve cheeseburgers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

On the other hand, I'm only willing to go so far with the protest. I will never accept a substitute for a French kiss. Never, never, never! [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

[ 03-13-2003, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 03-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #49
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Well I support the symbolic protest because it makes a statement without hurting anyone. The protest isn't against the French people, it's against the French position, and while some may not care for it, this has to be less offense than burning flags, pictures, effigies, etc.

Furthermore, the guy who proposed the change is in charge of the House cafeteria committee. It's one of his jobs to approve the menu there... names and all. And yes they even have to vote on their menu, so it isn't an more of a waste of time than when they voted last week to serve cheeseburgers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

On the other hand, I'm only willing to go so far with the protest. I will never accept a substitute for a French kiss. Never, never, never! [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
LO, no, or a French Letter, Donut.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:02 AM   #50
Mordenheim
Elminster

Yeah, I think this is a little overboard.

They changed the name at a local meat shop as well. I got there every weekend and get a very well made burger. I always get a side of french fries.

Anyway the last time I went I asked for french fries and they said "you mean freedom fries?"

"Whatever, just give me some freaking fries"

Sad I think. Much smarter way's to protest