Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2002, 01:58 PM   #41
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Are you sure that a gaming forum is the right place for such a conversation? There are alot of underage members here and you might convince some of the kids that owning a gun is 'cool'.
Owning a gun is "cool" by my definition of the word.

Nobody is insinuating that kids should have guns. I think if a kid wants a gun, it's more likely because of the TV and movies then from a couple of posts in a forum. This gaming forum deals with RPG's in which you kill other people with magic and swords. Are swords less lethal then guns? Should we stop talking about these games here because a kid will think swords are "cool" then go out and find one to kill his teacher? Most of the "kids" here are pretty sharp. They know right from wrong and they have predominantly good families.

There is nothing wrong with kids thinking guns are cool. Did you ever play "cops and robbers" when you were younger? I know I did. Did you ever have a cap gun? I had millions of them. Why do you think cap guns sold? Because kids thought they were cool. This thread won't change that.

[ 04-26-2002, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: MILAMBER ]
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 04-26-2002, 02:51 PM   #42
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

If you're gonna spoil yourself with a cannon like a Desert Eagle, go ahead and get the .50 AE. It's the only true auto round for that pistol. If you want .357 Mag, go for a glock chambered in .357 Sig. Same ballistics, and a great auto pistol. If you want .44 Mag, go with a revolver. Much cheaper and more reliable. The round was designed for a revolver anyway. I can't see an auto feed/extractor designed around that big "revolver lip" sticking out of the cartridge being completely reliable. The bolt would need to be seriously rigged. Lord help you if you accidentally get the lips of the rounds crossed in the magazine. That would make for a fun magazine jam! You'd probably need a screwdriver or something to clear it.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:01 PM   #43
MagiK

Quote:
Are you sure that a gaming forum is the right place for such a conversation? There are alot of underage members here and you might convince some of the kids that owning a gun is 'cool'.
Umm you weren't serious with this post were you?

Owning a gun is no better or worse than owning a hammer or saw.
A gun is an inanimate object, neither "cool" nore malevolent happy or sad. Gun ownership is no different from any other legal hobby in the USA. It is already illegal for minors to own or possess firearms so I don't see any danger of discussing guns or their ownership, this is a general discussion thread where adult subjects of religion, politics, war and egology are discussed....this is no different.

EDIT: Didn't want this to sound mean or angry, cause It wasn't but unless Z declares this kind of discussion off limits, I don't see it as innappropriate. As long as we discuss legal activities.

[ 04-26-2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 04-26-2002, 03:03 PM   #44
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
quote:
Owning a gun is "cool" by my definition of the word.

Nobody is insinuating that kids should have guns. I think if a kid wants a gun, it's more likely because of the TV and movies then from a couple of posts in a forum. This gaming forum deals with RPG's in which you kill other people with magic and swords. Are swords less lethal then guns? Should we stop talking about these games here because a kid will think swords are "cool" then go out and find one to kill his teacher? Most of the "kids" here are pretty sharp. They know right from wrong and they have predominantly good families.

There is nothing wrong with kids thinking guns are cool. Did you ever play "cops and robbers" when you were younger? I know I did. Did you ever have a cap gun? I had millions of them. Why do you think cap guns sold? Because kids thought they were cool. This thread won't change that.
[/QUOTE]You know my friends and family grew up with real guns all around, we played those games you mentiond, we had BBguns and none of us killed anyone in our school...it isnt the toys, the guns or the games that cause the problems....it is the people who commit the acts....and the people who raise those people.

[ 04-26-2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 04-26-2002, 03:10 PM   #45
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:

A gun is an inanimate object, neither "cool" nore malevolent happy or sad. Gun ownership is no different from any other legal hobby in the USA..
[/QUOTE]Well, there are SOME differences. With a single push of a trigger you can kill someone with a gun. You'd practically have to tie someone down and saw them apart to kill someone with a saw. A hammer isn't too good for instantly killing people either. Plus with a gun you can kill people from far away and then run.

Gun ownership differs from other hobbies such as for example... Collecting stamps, in that you cannot use your collection of stamps to kill. Nor can your kid, if he gets a hold of your stamp collection, use it to kill someone. Unless he bores them to death. (No offense meant to stamp collectors )
Old 04-26-2002, 03:22 PM   #46
The.Relic
Red Dragon

I'm going to have to agree with some of the others. Unless you just have your heart set on the 50 cal. I would go with the 44 mag. The 44 will take down just about anything unless protected by ceramic body armor, not to mention that with a 50 cal you'll only get about 6 or 8 rounds in the clip max, not that you would need more. I imagine the 50 ammo will be considerably more expensive as well. I imagine a flag will pop up in the law enforcement computers if you purchase the 50 cal, not that you have anything to hide of course, but just my thoughts on the subject. .
Old 04-26-2002, 03:30 PM   #47
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
quote:

A gun is an inanimate object, neither "cool" nore malevolent happy or sad. Gun ownership is no different from any other legal hobby in the USA..
[/QUOTE]Well, there are SOME differences. With a single push of a trigger you can kill someone with a gun. You'd practically have to tie someone down and saw them apart to kill someone with a saw. A hammer isn't too good for instantly killing people either. Plus with a gun you can kill people from far away and then run.

Gun ownership differs from other hobbies such as for example... Collecting stamps, in that you cannot use your collection of stamps to kill. Nor can your kid, if he gets a hold of your stamp collection, use it to kill someone. Unless he bores them to death. (No offense meant to stamp collectors )
[/QUOTE]Good point Neb. Irresponsible use and care of dangerous items kills. I personally recommend that all loaded weapons be in the immediate possession and care of a responsible adult. If they are left unattended, they should be unloaded and locked up. Unattended, unlocked, and loaded firearms are like a driving drunk. Capable of killing or injuring in a second. If the kids are willing to break the locks to get at the weapons without adults around, that's a big problem, with the kids AND parents. If you have crazy kids, store your weapons elsewhere.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:34 PM   #48
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Well I was a juror on a murder case where the instrument of death was a ball pean hammer..one strike to the back of the head...coroner said death was instant....I will however admit it would take considerably MORE effort to kill someone with your stamp collection ...unless you had them in really heavy solid binders.....My real point is that naything can be used in a bad way, it is the person who determines what actions the objects are involved with, not the objects.

[ 04-26-2002, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 04-26-2002, 03:35 PM   #49
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

For fun go with the .50 cal. I had a AR15 and sold it about 6 months ago. Used to proceeds to pay off my now obsolete computer (it's only a year old). I was going to build it into a long range target rifle, but I just don't have time to shoot anymore.

For Home defense and fun plinking, I prefer the .45 ACP (1911a1). I also own a Glock 17 and a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. Both great pistols. I just like the .45 better.

For pleasure shooting I love a good 20 gauge over and under for clays and a .22 rifle for cans!

I want a Rugar Vaquarro in .45 Long Colt. That's what I'll purchase if ever I come into some more money.

Children and firearms can mix as long as children understand and respect a firearm. As far as a hammer or saw not being as dangerous as a firearm, dead is dead, no matter how it happened. Now if you truly want something dangerous give a 16 year old a 3000 lbs mass of steel that runs at 80 miles and hour. If you REALLY want something scary give him or her some beer to boot!

[ 04-26-2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Sir Taliesin ]
Old 04-26-2002, 03:40 PM   #50
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
I want a Rugar Vaquarro in .45 Long Colt. That's what I'll purchase if ever I come into some more money.

Children and firearms can mix as long as children understand and respect a firearm. As far as a hammer or saw not being as dangerous as a firearm, dead is dead, no matter how it happened. Now if you truly want something dangerous give a 16 year old a 3000 lbs mass of steel that runs at 80 miles and hour. If you REALLY want something scary give him or her some beer to boot!
Ohhh wow, I have always wanted a Long Colt [img]smile.gif[/img] but usually they want too many $$$ for them...I also really liked the Colt Longslide in .45 (don't actually know if they made it any other calibre)

Im currently looking at the Sig series of 9mm,s but may decide to go with a .45acp instead.

I also agree with your other points. I grew up around guns form early childhood on, I was taught to respect them for what they are and use them with the same care I would use an oxy-acetelyne torch (another cool toy I had to play with when I was a kid [img]smile.gif[/img] )
My children both know what guns are, how they are to be used and how to safely handle them...they also know the first time they ever touch one without my permission..will be the last day of their life....welll their life as they know it. Of course I keep the guns locked when the kids are here...and most of the time when they aren't

Nearly every week here in DC we hear about some teen-ager in a 200HP car getting killed while driving at ridiculous speeds around the Washington beltway in the middle of the night....why a parent lets his kid out at 11pm ..in a 300HP car is beyond me.....

[ 04-26-2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]