Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2001, 02:32 PM   #91
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Heres a few more of mine that i dont think any of you know:

I sneak up on my cat alot, and she never even hears me. i do this on a hollow wooden deck in midday with hard soled shoes on

and

i do indeed have royal blood. are these true or false?

------------------
I'll kidnap ya fer 100, reprogram ya fer 300, and kill ya fer 500! Oh come one! I'll throw in the killin' fer 250!
Old 06-16-2001, 02:49 PM   #92
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
I sneak up on my cat alot, and she never even hears me. i do this on a hollow wooden deck in midday with hard soled shoes on

and

i do indeed have royal blood. are these true or false?

Unless your cat is deaf, I'm voting FALSE for the first one.

Royal Blood? TRUE, just cuz it would be cool

------------------
Old 06-16-2001, 03:25 PM   #93
Lord Shield

I vote TRUE for the cat, because I also can sneak up on cats
I also vote TRUE on the royal blood because you meantioned int in the Connections game

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-16-2001, 03:28 PM   #94
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

LS is right, i sneak up on my cat (shes not deaf either!) and i also have royal blood, which is why i feel myself akin to Vegeta, the Prince of the Saiyans! altho im just a Marquis, not a Prince. o well...

------------------
I'll kidnap ya fer 100, reprogram ya fer 300, and kill ya fer 500! Oh come one! I'll throw in the killin' fer 250!
Old 06-16-2001, 04:41 PM   #95
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
WOW!!!!
um, I'm voting TRUE!!! cause it would be coool to hear the story, if not, well then....

Ramon & RudeDawg are correct. It was true. Darn.. I was hoping to fool some of you! Here's the true story:

When I was in Yemen, dh, myself and 3 other guys all decided to tour the northern part of the country to visit the ruins of Mareb, the legendary city of the Queen of Sheba. So, without getting permission from the U.S. Embassy or any Yemeni governmental post, we took a Peace Corps land rover and headed north toward the Empty Quarter.

After a long drive (all day) we found the area and drove toward the ruins. The sun was setting but we had spotted the ruins in the distance so we pointed the land rover and headed toward them. It got pitch black very quickly. All of a sudden as if from nowhere, several vehicles surrounded us, lights pointed at us, and men with machine guns came toward us asking who we were and what we were doing there. Dh spoke to them in rapid fire Arabic, then he said, "Oh sh**! We have to go with them. Everyone look calm and pleasant" (This incident occurred in 1980 during the Iran hostage situation in the Jimmy Carter era.)

We were brought back to a Ramadhan evening feast and were ‘invited’ to sit down to partake of the meal. (I, of course, was the only female seated there because of the separation of the genders prevalent in Yemeni Culture.) The food was mostly very good, but it was there that I first saw some of the more disgusting (to me) dishes served in that country. They had a large platter with white greasy balls on it that turned out to be cooked balls of fat from the tail of a sheep… and there was a boiled sheep’s head, eyes and tongue intact, which one of the men first offered to dh. Dh did manage to refuse this oh-so-tasty delicacy by saying that our host must have it.
There was a serious discussion among the men during the gathering -- all 7 ruling Sheiks from the area -- which ended in a yelling match between the majority against one man & his son who left.

The decision had been made to hold us hostage in the hopes that the Yemeni government would give them schools and clinics and water projects in their area. Those were things that were greatly needed there. We were there 3 days. We were actually treated as honored guests – who needed “guarding” by a fellow named Ali. He was a very pleasant fellow, and would often fall asleep on a neighboring mat, machine gun propped against the wall and 3 or 4 hand grenades lying on the windowsill next to him. We were never alone.

I spent a lot of time with the women of the family – the sheik we were staying with had 2 wives and several children – and I learned more about family life for the people of Yemen than I had to that point. It was fascinating. When I wasn’t with the women, I was with the guys playing cards to pass the time. Dh spent a lot of time negotiating with the Sheik who was holding us. He even talked him into taking us to Mareb so we actually got to see the ruins we had come to see. We still have the photos.

We were never harmed or actually threatened. I wasn’t afraid at all during it. Young & dumb I suppose. (Dh was very nervous tho, I found out later.) After our first night there we slept on the roof of one of the houses … their bedrooms were too full of fleas. The third night of our stay there, we were awoken at 2:00 a.m. by a group of unfamiliar men, led by the man who left the argument the first night. They were all carrying machine guns. He told us to gather our things and to follow him immediately. We were led to our Land Rover, but not allowed to drive it. We rode away from our ‘prison’ in a train of vehicles. This was the point that I began to be afraid. We had been driving some distance when we heard what sounded like a gunshot. All the cars stopped and a couple men jumped out and fired their machine guns into the surrounding hills. Scary! It turned out to be a false alarm though – a car had backfired.

We made it back to Sana’a without incident. The Sheik who rescued us had gone to Sana'a, the capitol city, to get his son who was in the military to help us. It seems the government was going to respond to our being held hostage by bombing the area if they wouldn’t let us go. We took our rescuer out for dinner with much gratitude and praise. He was a nice man. It did feel different to be back, and we were all shaky. We hadn’t realized how stressful it had been til it was over. No one had really missed us tho. The only thing that happened was that Dh was brought before the U.S. Ambassador and reprimanded for being so careless. He received no punishment at all. We weren’t even written up in a newspaper or anything. *sigh* So disappointing.

P.S. Dh is my nick for my husband when speaking of him online. We weren't married yet at that point, tho we were engaged to be.

That’s the whole of it! Thank you if you made it this far!

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for truth, I am
now looking for a good
fantasy.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 06-16-2001).]
Old 06-16-2001, 07:55 PM   #96
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

bilqis - that was an amazing story and you told it very well. A really nice bit of writing

Now guys - was this me or was it someone else?

When I married for the first time I was entitled to wear white. We took off to our motel unit where we had booked our honeymoon - and found to our horror there were two single beds.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-16-2001, 08:27 PM   #97
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Kiwidoc, yours is true, just not spectacular enough to be made up.

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 06-16-2001, 09:46 PM   #98
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Sorry Ramon - the second half of my post just dissappeared off the face of the planet. Here's the full story. It is true, but was it me or was it someone else?

When I married for the first time I was entitled to wear white. We took off to our motel unit where we had booked our honeymoon - and found to our horror there were two single beds.

Chris went spare at the motel director and we drove off for dinner. When we returned there was a HUGE bed there - he had obviously pushed the two singles together! Well some time later two excruciatingly embarrassed, shy and nervous people climbed into bed. Things progressed a little clumsily, but eventually we met in the middle. The beds flew apart and deposited us in a great heap of blankets on the floor. The single beds were on castors!

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-16-2001, 11:14 PM   #99
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, well MY story above (last page? LOL ) was TRUE: ( I have posted this a long time back! )

Keep in mind this was still the old Soviet regime and all production of foodstuffs was state owned but for a few very small private plots the government allowed people to have.

Those people could only sell in a 'farmers market' (rinok). Moscow was premier city and had best of everything incl. markets so lots of enterprising citizens flew there to sell their produce/crafts. Those places had just about EVERYTHING you couldn't find in the state stores including fruits/vegetables/meats/ flowers, even carved and painted decorative items... At the time we were experiencing shortages of vast numbers of usual 'staple' for the city like sugar, potatos, eggs etc.

So I went to the big farmers market (indoor, huge hangar sized place) with a Russian couple I knew and Karina, a fellow exchangee with slightly better Russian than I had, owing to her being first generation in the states (Latvian, I believe). Anyway, this place was fascinating to me. Colors EVERYWHERE...people, sounds, smells, like a state fair and then some.
I was looking at just about every table and of course, the vendors were making a personal profit so they were calling out their wares, offering little tastes...very exotic atmosphere.

I wandered a bit ahead of the others and was stopped at the stand of a grizzled old Uzbeki farmer (and son). He had about three teeth and his Russian was very hard to follow, heavily accented. But he kept grabbing my arm and offering me tastes of things. Well, I really didn't understand him, but as so often happens with language students, I just smiled and nodded nicely, braids bobbing with my head. Well, all of a sudden he's dragging me behind the counter and whoa! I am totally stunned.

By then, Karina had arrived and was listening to part of this exchange- Farmer : blahbabblegobbledygoog, yes? yes! Me: uh, sure...smile...uh..yes..uh?

Karina starts talking to the guy, he points to his son, I'm still clueless and nod and smile- he shoves me toward the (ugh!) son....Karina grabs my arm and she and our Russian friends PROPEL me out of the whole damn market, farmer yelling after us. So, breathless, and miffed, I ask "What did you do that for?!" My Russian friends are looking embarassed, but amused. Karina finally answers: You just sold yourself to that Uzbeki farmer. Then agreed to breed his son's heirs!

ACK! You could have knocked me over with a feather....snicker...ahhhh to be young and totally clueless again! LOL!

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-16-2001).]
Old 06-16-2001, 11:49 PM   #100
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Oh boy, a new game :

Playing golf, I have had 3 holes in one in my life, on 3 different golf courses, in 3 different towns, in 3 different states of Australia, and on each occasion it was on hole numer 3 (of 18) and with the same club (7 iron).

Hmm, it has the ring of truth, but has it been embellished a touch ???? .

------------------