Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Fall 2009 Design Contest

House Contest

Contestants design one house/manor/small castle.

It must:
1) have no more than 5 levels
2) have no fewer than 2 levels
3) levels may be no larger than 15x15
4) must use at least one kind of "secret passage"
5) must contain at least one trap

In addition to the design to play, each entry must also include a short explanation of how the "secret passage" and trap were achieved.

Judging will be done by the contest entrants. Each entrant agrees to play at least two of the other designs and rate and review them in the following areas:
Background (Short-)Story - how motivating/convincing/exciting the story is
Events and Riddles - use of secret doors, traps, special events, NPCs and talk events
Graphics - in case that own art is used
Presentation - how convincing the art/sounds/events are used (I would suggest this category, since using arts of others, deciding about fonts and so on also needs creativity)
Gameplay - fairness to the player concerning monsters and traps, reasonable difficulty, avoiding of repetitive situations, fun and so on
Explanation/Tutorial: how helpful the explanation/tutorial of the "secret passage" and/or trap is
All criticisms will be constructive.

The entry deadline will be in X amount of weeks (I think it should be short like 2 or 3) and judging deadline will be 2 weeks after that.

Then we release all the winners to the community at large.

Dinonykos came up with this idea, and I've expanded on the judging. All we are waiting for to begin this new contest is for at least 5 people to commit to participating. Dinonykos believes this is the minimum amount to have a good and fun contest.
2 of the 5 have already stepped up to be counted (Dinonykos, manikus). If you are interested in participating, just respond to this post. We'd also be interested in hearing how long you think the contestants should have.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: Fall 2009 Design Contest

**Update**

We've now set a deadline for submissions - Dec 20th. Then we'll take the holidays to play and review other folk's work.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Budzo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Re: Fall 2009 Design Contest

Hi,

I am interested in participating in this. I don't know if we are supposed to submit an entry form or something or just raise your hand when you are done and send something in. A couple of things though:

I have no interest in winning a contest, but would like feedback on certain areas of the design and things I am trying. It is difficult by yourself to figure out what works or not (or in other words what is witty or what is silly).

I am art challenged. I have bought some painting software and am trying to learn, but it is very slow. This means almost all of the art will be borrowed.

Finally, what exactly is meant by a trap? If it is just the party does something they are not supposed to (like a cursed item, a booby trapped door or the like) with some consequences, than I understand, but maybe there is a more formal definition.

Again thanks to all working on this. Yesterday I got something to work using the GPDL complier which I like a lot and think this work is great.

Best regards,

Budzo
Budzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Consider yourself part of the contest.

When we get closer to the deadline, I will announce what to do with the designs.

As far as winning goes, this is the type of contest where everybody who enters wins (you're going to get feedback from your peers) and the community comes in a close second, as they'll have new games to play and tutorials explaining the tricks of each.

In the art area, it's perfectly fine to use the work of others...I'm not sure what sites you're familiar with but the links page on the official DC web site has a list of all of the fan sites that have art, as well as the other forums which both have art to use as well.
http://uaf.sourceforge.net/links.html
There is a pretty good chance that one of us may be able to answer questions you might have about the graphics software you have as well.

As to the last question, traps can be whatever you think traps can be. Seriously though, you're definition of traps pretty much covers what I think of as traps in respect to this game, but I don't think we'll exclude other definitions that people have as long as they're willing to explain them.

I'm glad you're enjoying using DC and very happy that you are using GPDL. There are very few of us that know how to use it, since we're all self-taught. I suspect that soon you'll be able to help answer questions on the topic when they arise. But, if you have any questions about using GPDL, feel free to ask about them as well. I can't promise we'll know the answer right off, but we can usually get something worked out (especially if Paul helps us out).
Old 10-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

I see, we already have more than 5 people interested. Excellent.

Concerning traps: I was thinking of mechanical traps, however, a cursed item or something like that is definitely okay, I think. But do not forget the secret passage, then...
Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

I think we are just now at 5. I am not counting Uatu, until he comes out and definitively states he is participating.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I already counted him in, I admit. I still hope that also some people of the yahoo forum may join.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: Fall 2009 Design Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinonykos View Post
Well, I already counted him in, I admit. I still hope that also some people of the yahoo forum may join.
I don't think most of the people on the Yahoo list are aCtive. Though, Steve may perhaps get involved - I will try entiCing him.

I think that some more people in the FRUA Community forums may join as well.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #9
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Hmm... I would love to participate, but... I barely have enough time to draw a wall or tree

Plus, as I have spent too much of my time drawing icons/small pics, I hardly know how to make a trap or secret passage, anyway...

My Blog:
http://advanceddantiansanddragons.blogspot.com
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #10
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I guess there are enough options to build a trap/secret passage with the "standard" DC techniques. A secret passage could e.g. be done simply with teleporting events, a password or, even more simple, with unblocked walls, not too mention the classic secret door (I think I do not steal anybody's ideas with mentioning these basic options... ).
Remember that even a 2x2 square house (or smaller!) would fit with the idea, and that the trap/tutorial thing is only one of several categories. With your already huge amount of art (not counting that you may use all the other art out there as well), I am sure you could come up with something real beautiful.
I expect that my contribution will take me ~the same amount of time as 3-4 tree walls. Of course, I do not want to push you, I only try to encourage you.